Show Your Work 2005 - Page 48 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Closed Thread

Old September 8th, 2005, 01:43 PM   #706
Major Player

Blackwater Elegy Premieres in New York!

After picking up 8 awards during a very successful run on the US festival circuit, Blackwater Elegy will finally make its New York City premiere at Damah New York tomorrow, with a second screening Saturday!!!

Blackwater Elegy, starring Barry Corbin (One Tree Hill, Northern Exposure) and John Cullum (Law & Order: SVU, ER) has screened as an Official Selection of over a dozen film festivals, and has received 6 Best Short Film Awards. I received the Best Cinematography Award for my work on the film at the 2004 Thunderbird International Film Festival, and John Cullum took home the Best Supporting Actor Award at the 2004 Tambay Film Festival.

Blackwater Elegy will screen as part of SCREENING REEL 4 at 4:00 P.M. tomorrow, at The Lion Theater. The film will screen again at 6:00 P.M. Saturday at Studio Theatre Row. Both the Lion and Studio Theatre are located at 410 West 42nd Street. Tickets will be available at the door on a first come, first serve basis. Or you can reserve tickets by emailing Kaiti: kaiti@the411nyc.com

WHAT: Blackwater Elegy - NEW YORK CITY PREMIERE - Damah Film Tour New York
WHEN: Friday 9/9 @ 4:00 P.M. and Saturday 9/10 @ 6:00 P.M.
WHERE: The Lion & Studio Theatre Row 410 W. 42nd Street Manhattan

For more information please check out:

Damah New York
http://www.the411nyc.com/damah/

Blackwater Elegy
http://www.blackwaterelegy.com

IMDB
http://imdb.com/title/tt0384851/combined

To reserve tickets email Kaiti: kaiti@the411nyc.com

I will be attending the first screening tomorrow afternoon. Unfortunately, I am headed out of town for a shoot Saturday morning and won't be able to make it to the Saturday afternoon screening.
Old September 8th, 2005, 04:27 PM   #707
Major Player

This just in...

I have been asked to participate in the filmmaker Q&A taking place tomorrow evening from 6:30p.m. to 8:00p.m. at the Studio Theatre, 410 West 42nd Street. Would love to see any DVi friends who can make it!
Old September 11th, 2005, 03:52 PM   #708
New Boot

Whats filmed better?

What clip do you think is filmed better? Clip A. http://media.putfile.com/I-hate-filming1Mbps_Stream001 or clip B. http://media.putfile.com/jasonhugeollie_cusomnijja
Old September 11th, 2005, 04:16 PM   #709
Inner Circle

I think A is better.

A: Interesting angles and perspectives with the fisheye.

The last shot wasn't as strong.

B: The location has some nice colors to it.
I didn't like how the camera droops at the end.
Old September 12th, 2005, 07:47 AM   #710
New Boot

Movie shot with the XL-1S

Hello everyone,

My latest award-winning short film entitled THE WARNING is now online. I shot the movie on the XL-1S and edited on Adobe Premiere Pro. I even had the camera on a steadicam for a bunch of shots. You can check it out at www.maptorch.com/the_warning.htm. I will be posting this film in three parts, one each Friday. The film stars some very talented young actors from central Ohio, Dan Kiely (Richard), Ria Filippakis (Pam), Jeff Smith (Mystery Man), Nichole Lavins (Kelly) and Elisabeth Wenzel (Marylin Monroe).

So go check out the movie, and while your there stay to watch my other short film entitled WHAT NOW? and the trailer for my feature film JACK'S HABIT recently released on video as part of a 4-movie set called Psychotic Tendencies (look for it wherever DVDs are sold online!).

Please feel free to discuss the film, and thanks for watching!

Alec Rossel
Writer/Director
Old September 12th, 2005, 11:14 AM   #711
Inner Circle

Welcome to the boards Alec.
If I were you I would try to move your post to the DV for the Masses board here, that's the place where people actually show their stuff, or you can ask one of the moderators to do it for you.

I watched the trailer: good editing, good music and sound, good framing, story looked compelling, BUT I really didn't like the lightning. It is as if you didn't light at all, and that's why I think it still looks a little bit like a home movie.
If you would lit it, or lit it better, I think it could have been great!

Now I've watched the first part: I didn't like the lettertype of the credits in the beginning. Nice steadycam shot.
Good acting. You know how to build suspension, but sometimes your framing isn't always completely good. Maybe you should train yourself a little bit more with the steadycam shots? On their own, their nice, but sometimes they are a little bit 'crooked' (don't know if this is the right word, searched via internet for the english translation, it's not my native tongue).
And if you do that, it's better to make a style of it, like some film-noirs, or to not have it at all.
Then you fade out after the scene with the pistol (very good shot, you don't see the guy's face!) to the woman, but I would just cut to here, without the fade out.
Then the scene with that woman, THAT one had nice lightning! It looked like you desaturated your colours in post, but it looked nice, and less 'home movie' then the other parts (I'm now only talking about lightning and colour)
and be careful with zooming.

Conclusion: you really know how to get people to want more, and you know how to build suspension. Acting is good, editing also exept for the fades maybe, but you should try to get more attention to lightning and colour.
Best regards, and I'll sure try to look at the second part!
Old September 12th, 2005, 01:06 PM   #712
New Boot

Hey Mathieu,

Thanks very much for the in depth response. It's great that these boards are out there with people who are considerate enough to take the time and care that you did to critique someone's film.

I know the zoom you're talking about in the park; it drives me crazy as well. The camera was on the steadicam for that zoom and it was as smooth as they could get it for me. I probably should have just cut it out.

I definately used minimal lighting in this movie. I wanted the diner and EXT shots to have a very "real feeling" so I lit the diner with a Chinese lantern to expose Richard's (the main character) face and that was about it. For the EXTs I used a bounce card.

It's interesting that you bring up framing, this is the first time I was able to work with a bona fide steadicam and it was a learning experience for me. I need to be more cognizant of the framing when the camera is on the rig.

I think the transition between the gunman's rifle and the woman in the park could have worked without the fade, but I didn't want to suggest a totally linear relationship between them.

The next part has some nice INT lighting that I think you'll appreciate.

Thanks again, and don't miss Part 2! See if you can figure out what's going on and what may happen.

BTW: Your English is great

Alec
Old September 12th, 2005, 02:57 PM   #713
Regular Crew

I get a timeout when trying to connect to your site.
Thoughts & Philosophies: http://jkohli.blogspot.com

"The most important thing is to enjoy life, to be happy, that's all that matters." --Audrey Hepburn
Old September 12th, 2005, 04:06 PM   #714
Trustee

Clip B has one random shot... apple and oranges. Skate Videos all look the same, someone needs to get creative and figure something out besides the low fisheye. Get a steadycam and loy mode adapter and run after people... cut in some POVs... anything but barrell distorted fisheye shots over and over and over....

ash =o)
Old September 12th, 2005, 04:24 PM   #715
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Kohli
I get a timeout when trying to connect to your site.
Yeah, I can't access it either!
Old September 12th, 2005, 04:49 PM   #716
New Boot

Torpe "The Wimp"

http://media.putfile.com/torpeonline

hello all, a music video shot with a makeshift consumer camcorder. hence the video noise. done to HEY JUDE.

enjoy.
Old September 12th, 2005, 05:09 PM   #717
New Boot

"No Joke": Wai Binuang

http://media.putfile.com/wbseptember

a short film starring the popular Bernadette Monisit of "The Witness".

Enjoy!
Old September 13th, 2005, 05:00 PM   #718
New Boot

Na kayasa aning di na hatagan og tsansa ang mga cebuano films. LOL
Old September 14th, 2005, 05:00 PM   #719
New Boot

Hey guys,

I think you may have been trying to access the site when there were power outages in LA. I called my web hosting service and they said that the power outages there were effecting their servers. What a great time for that huh? Friggin Murphy.

Everything is back up and running now in case you haven't seen it yet.

Alec
Old September 16th, 2005, 10:54 AM   #720
New Boot

Part 2 of THE WARNING is online!

Hey everyone,

Part 2 of THE WARNING is ready to watch at MapTorch Films. If you liked Part 1 and you were anxious to see the next installment go check it out now! Part 3, the conclusion, will be up next Friday at noon.

Don't forget to stick around and check out some of the other movies on the site if you haven't already.

Please feel free to discuss this part as well, what do you think is going on? What do you think will happen?

ENJOY!

Alec
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work