Show Your Work 2005 - Page 52 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Closed Thread

Old October 8th, 2005, 01:15 AM   #766
Major Player

The compression was sweet.
How did you do it, or did you use a plugin or something.
Old October 8th, 2005, 12:12 PM   #767
Regular Crew

Music Video - Deeds of Flesh

The Deeds of Flesh - "Crown of Souls" music video can be found here.

The conceptual footage was shot on a fully loaded XL2. We were scheduled to shoot the live footage two weeks later, but two members of the band fell off a balcony at a party and sustained serious injuries. Three months later, the XL2 was no longer available, so we shot the live footage with an XL1s and GL2.

The video was edited with FCP and also employed Nattress' G-Film filters. It is currently available on the Deeds of Flesh: Live in Montreal DVD, which is available at most online retailers

Enjoy!

Benjamin Kantor
benjaminkantor.com
Old October 8th, 2005, 12:16 PM   #768
Regular Crew

Were you the DP on that one indie movie shot with the XL2? I forgot the name, sorry, but it was posted here a while back.
Anyway, good job on the video. Blast beats and blood always make for a good death metal video. Any plans to get it on Fuse or any other video networks that welcome metal videos?
Old October 8th, 2005, 12:26 PM   #769
Regular Crew

Yeah, I was DP on the indie movie Leave it to Chance. I also shot and cut the Deeds video. I'm pretty sure that the video is headed to Fuse and some stations in Europe, but it's out of my hands now, so we'll just have to wait and see. Glad you enjoyed it.
Old October 11th, 2005, 06:21 PM   #770
Major Player

Walter, this isn't too bad. I'd be a bit careful about the over use of the iMovie-ish video transitions and the color switching back and forth.
It looks like you implemented these effects just for the sake of doing them.
They lend practically nothing to the video.
I'd rely more on physical camera moves or the energy of the performance to carry the video, not gimmicks.
The black and white seemed to be working, I'm sorry you didn't pursue that further. But that is purely a stylistic choice.
The editing timed to the beat was done very well. Keep it up.
Old October 11th, 2005, 07:43 PM   #771
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Allen
Hello all. I have not posted in a while, but wanted to share my trailer for comments and criticism.

We spent about 6 months following a promising young motocross rider through several major amateur national races. The link is to a trailer for the final project.

I would love to hear what y'all think.

http://www.zoohoot.com/mx/haulinass/trailer_512.wmv

The file is not on a streaming server, so please save then watch for best results. It is about 22 megs.
OK Don't take this the wrong way, but more of the racer less of the parents. The trailer is nice and well done, but the intro is a little technical for the non-rider (I ride and race) check out "Dust to Glory" even my freinds that think it's stupid like that movie. You need some more emotion from the rider. It's hard, but get it. Watching a movie about the parents of a rider does not excite me. GOOD WORK ON the video though.

BTW- Ride RED

Last edited by Jerry Porter; October 12th, 2005 at 08:21 AM.
Old October 11th, 2005, 07:53 PM   #772
Major Player

San Diego/LA/Vancouver in HD

I recently went to San Diego and took my camera with me. I decided to make a compilation of the stuff I shot along with some footage I had in Vancouver.

It's a big file so only download if you have a fast connection!
Please Right Click and SAVE AS (111MB, WMV, 6mins long)

http://www.theheadlesspuppy.com/san%20diego/hdvsd.avi

Here are some 'preview' shots from the video:

http://www.theheadlesspuppy.com/san%20diego/hdvsd.jpg
http://www.theheadlesspuppy.com/san%20diego/hdvsd2.jpg
http://www.theheadlesspuppy.com/san%20diego/hdvsd3.jpg

Let me know what you think!
Old October 12th, 2005, 05:27 PM   #773
Regular Crew

Just in time for Halloween

Hello all.
As a long time lurker and part time poster here a dvinfo, I've learned a great deal from everyone in regards to my movie making endeavors.
My first large project is finally done and I just wanted to share a little of it with you.
Check out the movies website.

www.abovegroundmovie.com

Please take the time to watch the high quality Quicktime trailer.
It has to load completely before it begins.
We shot the principle photography last summer and early fall with pick ups, green screen and adr work into the spring of this year.
A big special thanks to Charles Papert for inspiration and tips on the usage of the Magiqcam stabilizer. It was a baptism of fire having only owned it for 3 weeks prior to shooting.
This was to be our little "film school" movie that no one was supposed to see but it quickly grew into a full scale production. As luck would have it, everyone around us wanted to buy a copy so we decided to go ahead and put up the site and get mass duplication.
My partner Terry and I did EVERYTHING on this movie with little or no experience save what I gained here at DVinfo.

Thanks again to everyone here for helping us finish our first little project.
Now it's on to the "real" one.
Preproduction begins next month.
Wish us luck!
Old October 12th, 2005, 06:50 PM   #774
Regular Crew

Really cool stuff. It kinda has an Evil Dead feel to it. One thing I noticed was you did some good sound work. Can you tell us a little about how you recorded the sound? Thanks for sharing your work.
Old October 12th, 2005, 08:43 PM   #775
Major Player

Excellent Cinemaphotography at the end!
Old October 12th, 2005, 09:02 PM   #776
Regular Crew

Evil Dead, YES!
Since it was a self financed project, we followed the old stand by formula of take 6 kids to a cabin in the woods and chop them up!
Well, not exactly but close enough.
Shot with my VX2000 with a CenturyOptics 16:9 lens .
Audio was Sennheiser me66/64 direct to the VX via Sign Video XLR box.
When shooting with the Magiqcam, I used a Sennheiser 500 series wireless to get audio to the cam.
All the score was composed in Garage Band. Sound effects, ADR, and foley were recorded at my house using the same gear.
Of course a lot of time was spent tweaking and twisting the audio many different ways.
I have a long background in audio/music production and it definitley made a difference.
It still has a high "cringe" factor for me though. Too many lines of dialogue were recorded off axis and had to be redone or heavily massaged.
An experienced boom operator is a must for the next project.
Thanks!
Old October 12th, 2005, 09:03 PM   #777
Regular Crew

Thanks Wes!
Old October 16th, 2005, 11:01 PM   #778
Major Player

Mill Valley Film Festival "CinemaSports" Entry

I've previously posted a video I made for a film-in-a-day event called CinemaSports, and now I have another to share. These events are put on in a variety of locations and aren't really about "winning" anything, but more about having fun and being super-creative in a very condensed period of time. The event is often called the "Iron Chef" of filmmaking where you are given three "ingrediants" at 9am in the morning, and then you have 10 hours to storyboard, shoot, edit, render, and print-to-MiniDV-tape a completed movie for submital (no longer than 3:30 minutes) by 7pm that day for an 8pm screening that very same night.

Our entry earlier in the year qualifyed us to participate in this higher-profile event that was being put on as part of the Mill Valley Film Festival, and this time we came really prepared and gung ho. My wife and I were the DP and crew, we had three actors (that's a stretch, more like three good friends, LOL!), and we also managed to recruit a music composition graduate student from the SF Conservatory of Music to create the soundtrack on the same day just like the rest of the movie (he used a keyboard, Macintosh, and a MIDI keyboard, and then I imported his renders as wav's into the Vegas timetime).

As always, it was both a blast and a complete stress fest, but getting to screen it in front of 300+ people the same night made it all worth it! We got a pretty good reaction from our movie, which was both funny and scary at the same time -- classic B-Movie action if I do say so myself. You can watch our film as well as read more about the day's events and the ingrediants we were given on my blog at the link below. Please leave me some comments in my blog and here in this thread, I'd love to know what you think.

You can download the movie here:
SFBlogger.org

BTW, I used a Panny GS400, Rode Videomic, Manfrotto monopod with a weight on the bottom (as a steadycam of sorts), a Manfrotto tripod and fluid head, and Vegas 6 to pull this off. Shot in widescreen, filtered to B&W, and deinterlaced to 30p with a small amount of film grain added.

Old October 17th, 2005, 01:41 PM   #779
Regular Crew

Liked the trailers. I thought the first one had too long of an opener though. I'm curious to see the final one. Any progress?

http://www.southernwindsfilmfestival.com

http://www.phigmentphilms.com
Old October 18th, 2005, 02:24 PM   #780
Regular Crew

Pretty cool trailers. I really liked the Curse of the Seven Oaks one.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work