Show Your Work 2005 - Page 57 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Closed Thread

Old November 19th, 2005, 07:21 PM   #841
New Boot

Show Your Work 2006

"The Portait" All shot with ZR40 - Horror

Hi all,

I just wanted to post up my latest work which I shot with a Canon ZR40. The only other things we used were some florescent lights and foam boards. Everything is else we improvised, trying to work with a shoe string budget. I found a composer from Craigslist who also did the voice over.

22mb Streaming .MOV
http://www.rollingedit.com/final_episode.htm

Comments are welcome, let me know what you think. Thanks.

www.rollingedit.com
Old November 20th, 2005, 07:26 AM   #842
Tourist

New Music Video

Hey guys,

this is my first post here, so before posting the vid I made last week, i would like to tell you something about me. My name is Josh, I am from Duesseldorf, Germany, I am 17 and I love the whole process of making movies like the most of you guys I think.

For a schoolband I had to make a music video the last three days, including cutting from 0000 to 0900 last night. I hope that was it worth. We had no budget, no big plan, the guys did never stand in front of a camera before. It was really guerilla filmmaking. So here is the flick, I would really like to get some replies. Whatever good or bad.

http://www.tushilden-basketball.de/Blick_ins_licht.mov

P.S. please do not criticise the music, criticise the pictures!
Old November 22nd, 2005, 10:37 AM   #843
Tourist

I can't edit my post, can I? So here is the new link: http://reflect-artworks.de.vu//proje...icht_video.php

I would be very happy if someone would reply!
Old November 22nd, 2005, 12:11 PM   #844
Regular Crew

well done!
i like it. so tell us, what equipment did you use?
Old November 22nd, 2005, 03:00 PM   #845
Regular Crew

Ausgezeichnet! Good composition and nice cutting. The only suggestion I have would be to get the camera moving more. Some of the shots are a bit too static for the high-energy feel of the band. But, overall, it's a good piece of work. Congratulations!
Old November 22nd, 2005, 03:45 PM   #846
Tourist

thanks for the replies, guys. Yeah, it's a bit static, but I was afraid of getting too unsteady shots... Maybe I should have tried it more often to get a good moving shot. Next time ;)

I shot it with a XL1... No S or anything. Most of the time I used the 3x Wideangle lense... Or the normal 16x. I shot in the 16:9 modus.
Old November 23rd, 2005, 10:08 AM   #847
Regular Crew

Cheated

Hey guys,

Here is trailor to a short film we just finished.
Give it a couple minutes to download completely before playing.

Shot on an FX1.

http://www.pjrules.com/matt/cheated%20trailer1.avi

Let me know what you think!

-Andy
Old November 24th, 2005, 12:00 AM   #848
New Boot

Well done. That is a lot of work for 3 days. I like a lot of the camera work, more the outdoor stuff. I'd suggest not repeating elements, it looks like you ran out of choices, which may be the case. Also, if possible in the future try using 2 cameras. One close, one wide, or one still and the other moving, or what ever. It gives you way more choices of clips for the same amount of time shooting.

Keep up the good work.
Old November 25th, 2005, 08:50 AM   #849
Major Player

Just some of my 3D animations for everyone to laugh at

Hello,
Was just browsing through some of my old university work (i did a Computer Animation course) and thought i would post 3 of them for the fun of it.

Final Project done in Softimage XSI:
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/wayne.k...nalproject.htm

Character Animation module done in Softimage XSI:
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/wayne.k...ranimation.htm

And some early work from my first year done in 3DS MAX:
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/wayne.k...themilkman.htm

Enjoy
Old November 26th, 2005, 12:40 AM   #850
Trustee

Your framing of the story parts is excellent. Nice shots, telling the story in the cut with a good eye for what is naturally cinematic. The band performance stuff is not dynamic enough, more moves, more angles, WAY more tight shots. That is the easy stuff and you can learn it with practice, the thing that you cant "learn" is a natural ability to see the shot and that you seem to have...

ash =o)
Old November 26th, 2005, 12:56 AM   #851
Trustee

If you are going to have a slow moving trailer with no talking, voice over, etc. you better have some big dynamic cinematic shots packed with emotion. Dont think you got there. Showing people's lips moving without hearing what they are saying is almost always a mistake, in film school they called it "lip flap."

If I am being brutal, there was not much that worked with this trailer. If you are going to go with a score like that, the visuals much match oe else your production value sticks out like a sore thumb. Try going with another piece of music and splicing in some good performances of the actors, the words alone are not enough, maybe try some slow motion.

A trailer does not always have to clearly identify the story but it ALWAYS has to make you want to watch the movie. For indie film makers it is a real struggle because you dont have access to big name actors, a huge crew, etc. but you still have to find something compelling and the trailer as it stands now doesnt have anything that would compel people to want to see the film...

ash =o)
Old November 26th, 2005, 06:53 AM   #852
Inner Circle

I thought the trailer wasn't that bad.
I didn't mind not hearing what they said, I rather had the feeling of: now I know they will argue, and if I see the movie I'll know what about.
Old November 26th, 2005, 03:24 PM   #853
Regular Crew

Hey Ash,

Thanks for the post.
We are a bunch of TV Broadcasting students with no proper 'film' training. This was a fun project to work on.

This isn't a simple relationship movie. There is a HUGE twist that we tried to hint at in the trailer to intice people to watch. Did that not come through?

I have passed your recomendations along to the editor.

Thanks!

...Andy
Old November 26th, 2005, 03:43 PM   #854
Inner Circle

Most contemporary trailers feature the best bits of the product. Most are fast and pacey - the slower, gentler style works if there are things to look at apart from the obvious. As an example the girl on the phone, upset. Why not take a much smaller chunk and slo-mo it showing the facial expression of sadness. One question - why black and white? It has the 'look' of tv, not film, in shooting and framing - so the b&w is an oddity. The other thing in a short trailer like this is that far too much time is spent on black & titles - waste of time, in my view.

The test I always use is "do I want to watch this?" and I'm sorry to say the answer, for me, would be no.
Old November 26th, 2005, 08:53 PM   #855
Trustee

My garden show

http://www.salenz.com/movie/www.sale...2005.11.27.mpg

Can be played by software dvd player i.e. powerdvd, Microsoft Media player etc.

File size around 80mb.

Regards
Leigh
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work