Show Your Work 2005 - Page 7 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Closed Thread

Old January 30th, 2005, 04:37 AM   #91
RED Code Chef

Hello Dave and welcome aboard DVInfo.net!

For what it is I thought it looked good, professional. Artsy though,
but that was the whole point I assumed.

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Old January 30th, 2005, 05:28 AM   #92
Regular Crew

Very nice

I liked it quite a bit, especially for a first film! At first with the phone call I was a little worried, because it was reminiscent of the beer commercials with the "wazzzzzzup" but that's ok. I laughed really hard at the scene where he was getting his hair ready for bed, as well as getting into bed! Very nice. I really liked the mood shift as well. For the most part I was pleased with the night time lighting, except when the burglar is entering the house... it looks like dawn/dusk a little bit, again no biggy. Lastly I didn't like being able to see the strings attached to the main characters hair when he was frightened, perhaps fishing line would have worked better? The confrontation scene was also very funny. All in all I had a wonderful five minutes, thank you! Great work!
Old January 30th, 2005, 08:55 AM   #93
New Boot

What would you change in this demo reel?

this is a demo reel I made awhile back for a doc that is still in production. I'm getting ready to rework it for more funding and would like any suggestions for changes

http://homepage.mac.com/koreaboy/iMovieTheater1.html

bests
Old January 30th, 2005, 12:53 PM   #94
Regular Crew

Hi Tony, this is going to be a very powerfull documentry.
Here is some contructive critisism:

1. I would open up with an interview with one of the women. As it is now the trailer is a bit of mystery for the first third. By opening with an interview instead of the old footage it will make it seem more relevant to today and more personal. Maybe use the same scene as the ending but with a voice over of a woman.

2. I am interested if this documentry goes into the women getting an apology from the japanese government. If it does I would make that more clear.

great job/ noble subject/ style cheers,
Old January 30th, 2005, 03:25 PM   #95
New Boot

Thanks for viewing the movie.

The scenes in the night time footage were actually shot during the day and with some canadian tire flood lights and we put the blue light effect in post-production (hence the use of Premiere 6).

The strings on the hair is something we struggled with as well, but at the time we shot it, we couldn't find any fishing wire, so we have since justified it by saying it adds to the cheesyness of the movie.

I am glad you laughed at all the right spots.
Old January 31st, 2005, 06:32 AM   #96
RED Code Chef

I finally got around to watching your movie (busy busy). I was a bit
lost on the story to tell the truth. I have no idea why the shooting
suddenly started. I also thought the beginning moved to slow and
some talking there could've been cut etc.

Some additional thoughts:

- it usually feels more natural if people are interrupted while talking (ie, the gun shot happens) instead of when a line is (just) finished (looks a bit staged)

- during the conversation at the card game you cross the line of action, which looks confusing

On the latter see the following thread for more info:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...threadid=38334

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Old January 31st, 2005, 08:17 AM   #97
Regular Crew

As Rob said, the 180' line was crossed in the scene right before the climax.

I'd like to hear the chip spinning on the floor at the end. That would add some dramatic atmosphere.

As for the story, I can't tell if the main character is trying to be a hero in the end or if he's just suicidal. Maybe it's like that ER episode from a few years ago where an intern or resident ended up dying on EL tracks, and it was left as an open question whether he jumped or was pushed.
Old February 1st, 2005, 12:36 PM   #98
Regular Crew

thanks Rob,
It was my first project using my new vx2100 and magic bullet. I had been using a trv-17 for several years so it was hard to show restraint with my cam.
it is "artsy", but a lot less artsy than most of my work.
Old February 5th, 2005, 09:22 AM   #99
Major Player

* * Bert Prentice Ceo - - Online Film Fest * *

DVi Community,

Hey Everyone,

Hope you are all well! "Bert Prentice, C.E.O." is in competition in Cinequest Online. Below is the link for our film, you can vote, review and watch the film there.

http://www.cinequestonline.org/2005/...view.php?m=429

Here is the page for the full online Viewer's Voice festival.

http://www.cinequestonline.org/2005/...wers_voice.php

Please send the link to all your friends as well, write a great review and vote "Bert Prentice, C.E.O." as best short film!!

Unfortunately for some crazy reason the festival could not get the films to play on Macs. Sorry for this inconvenience.

"Bert" will also be screening at the DC Independent Film Festival in March.

I will have exact dates and more details to pass on soon.

Enjoy the film and let me know what you think.

Thanks for your support.

Derrick
Old February 6th, 2005, 05:04 PM   #100
Regular Crew

training supplement video for presentation

Here is a video that was for a multimedia presentation at my work, olive garden.... where I'm a waiter....

Anyway, some of it might not be totally clear but it is mildly entertaining.

http://3ffilms.com/html/films.htm Just click on the red word Training.
Old February 6th, 2005, 11:35 PM   #101
Major Player

Nice little short...

Dude,

Pun intended.

Seriously. Goofy, cheesy but funny. Not bad for the equipment you had to work with. Is the music your own? BTW the interior night lighting looked like a TV had been left on as opposed to the moon shining in a window. Not complaining. Just observing.

I'm going to email my brother-in-law about your short. I think he'll like it and hopefully we'll be doing our own shorts soon.

FWIW, you are to my brother-in-law as I am to your friend except my brother-in-law has about 10 inches more hair than you and we're both about 10 years older...sigh. I wish I was younger.

Good job.

Oh, and please put some clothes on. Damn, I need some bleach for my eyes. ;-)

sincerely,

ian
Old February 7th, 2005, 02:17 AM   #102
New Boot

Oppression.

Hey Everyone,

This is the first video I've ever posted on these forums. It's a "Public Service Announcement" for my youth group at church, because we are studying oppression and injustice in the world. We also have a funraiser campaign that we started about a year ago. You can check out the fundraiser here: http://www.cbcoc.org/oppression

The video is actually our attempt to immitate the style of James Woods' recent Stroke Awareness Shorts. They were shown on Larry King Live last week, and we were greatly impacted by them.

http://www.cbcoc.org/oppression/psa_1.wmv

I apologize for the low-quality compression, but we need to save bandwidth on our server. You know how it is...
I'd appreciate any input/comments/suggestions. Thanks!

Allen
Old February 7th, 2005, 03:07 PM   #103
Major Player

Looked nice. Good feel to it.

What was it shot with?

Keep up the good work!
Old February 7th, 2005, 04:32 PM   #104
Regular Crew

Yeah.

I don't know what to make of that. It was obviously filmed in that "camera glasses" spy sorta way so I can't critique it. I also can't tell which I would be more annoyed by: the waitress who didn't know jack or the really annoying waiter (IF I WANT A GLASS OF WINE I'LL ASK FOR IT PROFESSOR!).
I know the SIE though. That came across (in beautiful 10pt arial).
Old February 7th, 2005, 04:52 PM   #105
Regular Crew

The sound design was really nice, but the voice was a little too low. You might try pumping it up. Really good, creative video work.
The semicircle lights in the bg were intriguing.
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work