DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Show Your Work (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/show-your-work/)
-   -   Dave and Liz - a San Jose 48 Hour Film Project 2009 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/show-your-work/295319-dave-liz-san-jose-48-hour-film-project-2009-a.html)

James Chen August 18th, 2009 10:02 PM

Dave and Liz - a San Jose 48 Hour Film Project 2009

Hey Everyone,

My friend and I just received our GH-1's last week so we'd thought we go through a trial by fire and shoot our San Jose 48 Film Project with them. We shot dual GH-1's for most of the shoot and added a Panasonic HMC150 to capture sound.

YouTube - Dave and Liz - 48 Hour Version - San Jose 48 Hour Film Project 2009

Genre: Romance
Character: Zach or Zelda Alexander, an exterminator.
Prop: A piece from a board game
Line: "Tell me again why this matters?"

Everything was written/shot/edited from 7pm 8/14/09 - 7pm 8/16/09.

For the Hong Kong style fight sequence in the film, and we were really pushing the 720/60p with a lot of fast pans. I did notice some mud creep in during some extreme motions, but overall it held up pretty well.

My favorite part of using the GH-1's was all the gorilla/convert shots that we picked up at a local mall. When we walked into the stores, I walked past two security guards with the camera on my shoulder and they didn't even blink. My actors loved being able to act in public, it was a blast to shoot.

Chris Barcellos August 19th, 2009 12:56 AM

Could be a winner there. I was in San Jose's last year.... this is really moving forward. You guys could 720p this year right ? Great job...

James Chen August 19th, 2009 02:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Barcellos (Post 1241205)
Could be a winner there. I was in San Jose's last year.... this is really moving forward. You guys could 720p this year right ? Great job...

Thank you for the kind words! I really hope the audience tomorrow night enjoys it at the screening.

I was pretty thrilled that we were one of the cities that made the jump to 720p. I competed in the SF '09 48HFP and was a little disappointed to watch our film in SD. Eager to see how well the 720p will hold up on the big screen :).

Bruce Foreman August 20th, 2009 10:24 PM

Extremely well done and very highly entertaining. I really loved the couple, they came across as completely natural to me.

I hope it goes well for you. Those GH1s sure look good.

Stanley Law August 25th, 2009 10:32 PM

Not bad, the twists were nice.

Jeremy Doyle August 26th, 2009 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James Chen (Post 1240767)
My favorite part of using the GH-1's was all the gorilla/convert shots that we picked up at a local mall. When we walked into the stores, I walked past two security guards with the camera on my shoulder and they didn't even blink.

Don't you need location release forms signed for your short to qualify for the competition?