DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Show Your Work (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/show-your-work/)
-   -   "superheroes" (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/show-your-work/29923-superheroes.html)

Bryan Harley August 1st, 2004 02:55 PM

"superheroes"

"SUPERHEROES" is a web series I've been working on for a few months now. It's about two college students (Quaylar Peter and Lucas Scott) -- and how they become superheroes and the adventures that they have. Their "origin story" will be covered in the first two episodes, while the last three will chronicle their biggest adventure -- defeating Dr. Wung-Fu Battle, a crazy Chinese biophysicist bent on battling everyone and everything in the universe. More Info.

Anyhow, here's the first episode. We shot it quick, just a few days. The cast and crew consisted of just two people on this shoot! So it was challenging. Thankfully I'll have more help on future episodes.

Episode I: Mystery Letters
High Quality (Quicktime 6 or higher needed, 40 mb)
Cruddy Low Quality (Quicktime 6 or higher needed, 14 mb)

Future Release Dates:

Episode II: Fridge of Doom - Sunday, August 8th
Episode III: The Battle Begins - Sunday, August 22nd
Episode IV: An Old Evil Returns - Sunday, September 5th
Episode V: The Last Stand - Sunday, September 19th

Bryan Harley August 10th, 2004 01:47 AM

Episode II: Fridge of Doom (8 Minutes)

After being tipped off by Jesus McGod about a magical button inside their fridge, strange things start happening to Quaylar and Lucas. Are they freaks, superheroes, or just a little of both?

Download Ep2:
High Res (Quicktime 6 or higher needed, 43 mb)
Low Res (Quicktime 6 or higher needed, 16 mb)

Future Release Dates:

Episode III: The Battle Begins - Sunday, August 22nd
Episode IV: An Old Evil Returns - Sunday, September 5th
Episode V: The Last Stand - Sunday, September 19th

David Chao August 10th, 2004 11:09 PM

On both, the "superheroes" title intro was cool and some of the effect around the first hero after he pushes the button was kinda cool... but that was about it for me. Sorry. I guess the biggest distraction was the acting... waaay too over-the-top.

Fred Finn August 11th, 2004 07:28 AM

LOL i can't see this guy without picturing a pirate, Tony Montana, and the butler.....

Ok, i got the impression that you guys are going for the over the top, absurd type of humor.... If you weren't sorry, but it does work, imo. It left me wanting to know more about their superpowers As long as the battle isn't against cancer, and the other guy has some super chemo power, I'm not sure that the seriousness of the topic would blend with the humor. I like the project, it is entertaining, and kept me watching.

The only thing that i kept noticing was the lack of white noise. I felt like there was too much silence in between their lines, or in breaks in their speech.

Looking forward to the future episodes.

T.L. Lance August 12th, 2004 04:14 AM

Great stuff. Really funny. Example: the puns they kept making when the Jesus letters appeared. I'm a fan. Two thumbs up (for I have two thumbs....)

Kyle Kauss August 12th, 2004 08:57 AM

"Tell me your secrets Muffin!"

that was pretty classic I enjoyed them, keep them coming.

Christopher Reynolds August 14th, 2004 07:58 PM

Very entertaining, I was suprised to hear myself burst with laughter at alot of the lines. Reading other peoples' posts always gives me a negative starting point when viewing someone's project...I guess this helps make it all the more enjoyable when I see how effective it really is. I enjoyed it, My girlfriend and I can't wait to see the next episode! Good luck!

Bryan Harley August 30th, 2004 03:20 AM

Episode III: The Battle Begins (18 Minutes)

A week late, but more than twice the length of the other two episodes! It's double the good...ness.

Quaylar and Lucas embark on the greatest adventure of their lives...becoming superheroes. But what will happen when they encounter a seemingly unstoppable enemy in the form of Dr. Wung-Fu Battle?

Download Ep3:
288x192 (Quicktime 6.0 or higher required, 53.0mb)

Future Release Dates (new):

Episode IV: An Old Evil Returns - Sunday, September 12th
Episode V: The Last Stand - Sunday, September 26th

Rob Lohman August 31st, 2004 06:10 AM

I liked the "big battle". Pretty well executed. Nice job!

Christopher Reynolds September 5th, 2004 10:46 PM

I loved the reminiscent 80's music, nothing is funnier than the 80's I tell you what. I just got back from vacation to find the XL2 is now available to the public, and now the third installment of Superheroes, life couldn't be better. The cheese just gets thicker. :)

Bryan Harley September 19th, 2004 07:05 PM

I'm glad you guys are enjoying the series! And now...

SUPERHEROES - Episode IV: An Old Evil Returns (20 Minutes)

Despite the loss of Cancer Lad, Quaylar must move on and continue his struggle against the forces of evil...and badness. Meanwhile, confounded by how he was overpowered by Quaylar, Dr. Battle searches for more help in his quest to effectively battle the entire world. And an old evil returns...

Download Ep4:
288x192 (Quicktime 6.0 or higher required, 56.0mb)

Future Release Dates (new):

Episode V: The Last Stand - Friday, October 1st 2004

Christopher Reynolds September 29th, 2004 10:01 PM

What the deuce?! Bandwidth limit exceeded!!! I must suffer greatly until I can view the splendor. I guess I'll just download some Wesley Willis songs until then.

Christopher Reynolds October 9th, 2004 02:27 PM

Finally, I got to watch it! COASTERS! MY ONLY WEAKNESS!!!
Good episode, but there were some scenes that dragged on a little too long. I was glad to see you added sound effects for the punches though, and JFK was a great addition. Soooo cheesy.

Tony Rogers October 14th, 2004 09:04 PM

Hey guys,

Just finished episode III (yeah, i'm slow) I think you guys are seriously smart (no, seriosuly) and have great potential. For those of you who will have the guts to stick it out in the entertainment biz, you could do some grrreat things. I sense some David Sedaris-like talent.

Of course the sky's the limit with the really open-ended storyline you chose, but that's sort of the fun part. I love good intelligent camp (a la Buffy, Strangers w/ Camp, etc.) I wish I had the means/technology to do this stuff when I was 19 (27 now) and I think that you are really cutting your teeth on some things that will pay off.

The training montage made me laugh out loud and the "why you hit yourself" quote is friggin classic. Hopefully you'll reinvent that move when you hit the big leagues and make the next great jackie Chan movie.

btw, although I agree that sometimes the pacing is a little slow, I think that a lot of your edits are unexpectedly brilliant for the style.

Bryan Harley October 15th, 2004 11:45 AM

Tony, thank you very much for your kind words. I appreciate it.
Hopefully one day I'll have the time and money to sit down, focus and really make something great. And thank you to everyone who has taken the time to download and watch this series.

And here's the last episode...

SUPERHEROES - Episode V: The Last Stand (20 Minutes)

Quaylar knows something is very wrong when he wakes up to find that the button has dissappeared from his fridge.

Download Ep5:
288x192 (Quicktime 6.0 or higher required, 67.1mb)

Future Release Dates:

Episode VI: Attack of the Bloopers (Blooper Reel) - Sometime within the next 2-3 weeks
SUPERHEROES: The Movie - All episodes edited into one, with an original score, on DVD - Sometime before 2005, hopefully