DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Show Your Work (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/show-your-work/)
-   -   My new landscape video (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/show-your-work/29985-my-new-landscape-video.html)

Alex Chan August 2nd, 2004 07:21 PM

My new landscape video

I am having the GL2 for almost 2 weeks, this past weekend I shoot a video for the second time after reading many experiences from GL2 user in this forum. So I give it a try and make this landscape clip, hopefully it looks nice to you. It was filmed by frame mode. I don't know if the exposure is ok or not. I still need to learn and practice more.

The shooting location is in Toronto, Canada

<a day without rain>
http://www.dvshortfilm.com/temp/a_day_without_rain.wmv

Thanks!

Richard Maloney August 2nd, 2004 07:53 PM

Very beautiful!

Love that closing scene.

Looks like Canada ;)

Alan McCormick August 3rd, 2004 02:27 AM

That was really nice Alex, I have not tried "frame" mode yet but have to someday. I will then read the many posts on this too.

I thought your colours were odd at some points, have you played with them in post? Maybe it is the wmv coversion however most of the colours were very good.

You have a nice eye, thanks for sharing.

Prech Marton August 3rd, 2004 01:11 PM

Re: My new landscape video

What tripod and fluid head do you have?
I see a very smooth panning in your video, that i cannot make with my manfrotto 190 and 128rc fluid head.

Bob Safay August 3rd, 2004 01:35 PM

Alex. Very well done. I also really loked the closing.

Graham Bernard August 3rd, 2004 01:47 PM

Just plain beautiful - thank you very much . . ..

Alex Chan August 3rd, 2004 02:22 PM

Thank you for all the good comments, I would say that without some of you guys advises in the last 2 weeks since I have the GL2, I would not do this nicely.

But I think some of the shots might be too bright and the colour too green, don't you guys think so? Maybe very subjective thing.

Regarding to the tripod, you know what, surprisingly I just use a Velbon CX-586, I can't afford to the Bogen/Manfrotto yet.

Wayne Orr August 3rd, 2004 08:05 PM

Very nice, Alex, and a testament to how much music can add to the total experience.

If I might suggest, I would encourage you to learn about color correction techniques. Your pictures need a bit more contrast, IMHO, to really make them pop. A good place to start a real education is with Photoshop, and the books by Michael Kieran. You can look him up on Amazon. You can take the shortcut and pick up a book like "Color Correction for Digital Video," but you won't really get an understanding about color correction like you will with Kieran working in Photoshop.

Good luck!
Wayne Orr, SOC

James Emory August 3rd, 2004 08:32 PM

Great job Alex. I really like Enya anyway so that really added to the beautiful scenery. That ending with the bird was perfect! You're on your way!

Ben Lynn August 5th, 2004 09:33 PM

Thanks for sharing that Alex. It was very well put together and your shot composition was very good. It was very nicely done overall.

The exposure looked fine throughout.

You'll want to do like Wayne said and start working with your contrast levels. You don't need to adjust them a lot, but a little will make a big difference. And work with the brightness as you adjust the contrast. Those two adjustments will really develop the scenes.

Ben Lynn

Alex Chan August 5th, 2004 11:07 PM

I am editing video in MediaStudio Pro 7, there is something called "Colour Correction" function. I just use "auto" because I don't know how to change colour in detail. It seems like complicated.

Alex B Henderson August 5th, 2004 11:25 PM

The colors are nice, the pans very smooth, but the editing to me is a bit too much in a hurry. The music and images are of the more lingering sort, and especially at the start, you seem to be in a hurry to move from view to view.

The clarity of the images and stability of the shots is certainly top notch!

Alex

Rafal Krolik August 7th, 2004 09:28 AM

I love your panning, VERY smooth. I have tramendous ammounts of coffeine in my system at any point in time and my panning leaves a lot to desire. Someone already mentioned color correction so I won't go into detail, but see if there is a filter in your NLE that will take and convert broadcast pallet to the computer pallet, his will add a little more saturation and contrast.
Also, and this is only my opinion, the part where the girl sits under the tree reading a book looks too centered. I would maybe push her off to the left a little bit.
The ending is indeed a fantastic footage and I liked it a lot. As far as shooting in frame mode, I would say that maybe not because you will loose resolution and instead use the DVFILM to do the deinterlacing.
Great job overall

Alex Chan August 7th, 2004 09:43 AM

Hi Rafal, is the dvfilm working fine? Does it support Canon GL2 NTSC? It shoot 30f. Do you have any sample I can see?

Kin Kwan August 8th, 2004 12:08 PM

Hi Alex! That was a nice video, very pretty!

It's kind of funny, but I made a video like that last year, except it was a day WITH rain. :D Just thought it was ironic...

Great video! Keep up the good work!