DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Show Your Work (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/show-your-work/)
-   -   DVX100 Music Video #2 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/show-your-work/30044-dvx100-music-video-2-a.html)

George Su August 3rd, 2004 09:31 PM

DVX100 Music Video #2

Here's another video i DPed.

"She Said I Like This One"
Gay For Johnny Depp

www.gayforjohnnydepp.com/vid.html

lemme know what you think!

Benjamin Taft August 4th, 2004 05:54 AM

That manicure shot where the guy gets cut creeped me out ;)

I liked the clip with the sink when the guy sits down and the hairdresser looks down, also the blue "crossfades" that were at the end were neat.

Rob Lohman August 5th, 2004 06:20 AM

This was top notch! Very excellent stuff George. Not my kind of
music, but the video was awesome. I really liked the contradiction
of the song and the images. The shooting, editing etc. was all
brilliant. Ready for broadcast!

Tony Rogers August 11th, 2004 10:59 PM

Looks hot...

Love your hommage to Polanksi's 'Repulsion' (if it was indeed interded that way)

Although, surprisingly, I have never been gay for Johnny, I liked your video for the same reasons Lohman liked it. What equipment and cine-look tools did you use? Did you use any adpters or anything special? Magic bullet?

Tony

George Su August 11th, 2004 11:35 PM

thanks for the compliments!

the director never mentioned anything about REPULSION to me, so i doubt there was any conscious homage going on...

the settings on the DVX100 were:

24P advanced
master ped -6
detail level -3 (i think)
chroma level +7
skin tone detail off
vert detail thin
gamma + matrix cine-like

i used the wide-angle attachment for a couple shots at the beginning of the video, mainly the band getting out of the van. editing and color correction was all in final cut.

Peter John Ross August 21st, 2004 08:09 AM

Everything about the video was great... ecept and this is purely preferential, I thought the blues were a little too extreme in the colour pallette. If it was done just more subtely, it would have been more appealing to my eye.

Other than that, great edits, great framing, everything done on a high end level of great.

Lathe Austin August 22nd, 2004 03:48 PM

And if this was trying to get on TV, you could have problems with the U-Haul track. Since music videos aren’t allowed to show logos.

Nice job though. But I just didn’t like the guy in the pink that was freaking because they were there. It just seemed out of place.

Tony Rogers August 22nd, 2004 04:50 PM

Dude, that dude in the pink was totally Gay for Johnny Depp. What was out of place about that?

John Gaspain August 29th, 2004 08:07 PM

That kicked ass~!!

what lighting did you use?

George Su August 29th, 2004 08:19 PM

lighting

thanks!

i have these 2 15" daylight fluorescent bulbs, i call em lifesavers, cuz they're great for making little accents on walls, as well as eyelights.

also, one kino-flo divalite 200, and an assortment of china balls/practical bulbs.

it's not very much, but it serves the no-budget/no-time shoots pretty well.

George Su August 29th, 2004 08:20 PM

logos

the director wasn't concerned about the U-Haul logo. i believe he's gonna just blur it out for airing, which will be funnier i think anyway.

who isn't gay for johnny depp ?

Jose di Cani November 6th, 2004 06:57 PM

HI

From the beginnin on I had a feeling of this being a video-look kind of video, if you know what I am saying. LAter on I found some interesting scenes (close ups were cool), but something was missing. I think the movie doesn't stand out of the rest. It doesn't add something new for me, so I understand people not remembering the video. It need much more action and more detail, more effects, special transitions.