Latest Music Video at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Old August 10th, 2004, 05:36 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Latest Music Video

Just took a VASST training session by DSE and applied some of the color correction I learned. Here's what I came up with, this was more or less a last minute, let's shoot it in one day video. No real story, just a couple of cool shots.

http://www.wayoutwestenterprises.com/video/RealLove.wmv

Feedback appreciated. I'm still learnin' here. :-)
Rob Onekea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2004, 08:41 AM   #2
Major Player

This was shot in a day? all i gotta say is props to ya man, all things considering, i thoroughly enjoyed watching it, plus the song's terrific too. Your selection of shots was very well decided and i love how you matched bg to the performers (intentional or not).. the shot of the one fella with the bright blue sea bg was just superb looking. Personally i would've included more ladies in that shot.. maybe coming in a bit later, but that's just the mtv influences in my head (go away mtv.. go away) hehe.. either way, you've got a good eye for shots, the editing was really well done and watching this thing made me late for work... good job buddy!

Vishal
Old August 10th, 2004, 03:37 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Hi Rob, few questions:
1. What camera did you use.
2. Which NLE did you use.

I also thought the video looked good, aspecially the colors and how clear it was rendered. Good job.
Rafal Krolik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2004, 01:59 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Well I shot it with a Canon XL1s, no special filters, just tripod... used a steady cam for vehicle shots, and one pan around the couple shot which I didn't use the whole thing....

I used VEGAS 5 for my editing. I've tried using FCP, and for it's ease of use, Vegas works perfect for me. FCP has been around so there are quite a few more bells and whistles.

Thanks for the feedback! I showed it to one of the major industry dudes here and he put it on his hi-def monitors, and compared it to some of his HD footage, and my god... it made mine look horrible. So I bought a DVX100a.... today. :-) Can't wait to shoot with it.
Old August 11th, 2004, 04:40 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Job well done Rob,
I shoot mainly weddings but have a large group of friends in the music industry (no-one famous..yet!) and have been asked to do some promo video stuff for a couple of the bands. Having watched your video it has inspired me, i'm about to make a phonecall now. Any tips on syncing the music to the footage etc. or shooting music videos in general.

Perhaps another forum for music videographers could be set up if there was enough interest?
Carl Walters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2004, 04:54 AM   #6
Regular Crew

wow, thanks for the props. I've probably done about 8 videos to date, some were awesome, some... well.... NOT.

Here is my basic "theory" when I shoot music videos.

1) PLAN, PLAN, PLAN... What I do is take a sheet with the lyrics, and sit with the band and go over each section.
(intro, verse1, chor1, verse2, chor2, bridge, solo, chor3, out)
Then I more or less look at each section as a chapter, each section adding to the storyline (if there is one) Then I build from there.

2) When shooting the actual segments, I usually use only 1 camera for consistancy sake, I'll shoot each shot wide, med, and tight. That way I have more to play with.

3) I try to shoot many different shots per section with 1 or 2 "fallback" shots that I can go to in case there isn't anything solid to use.

4) Synchronizing the video to edit isn't that difficult, just make sure when you record your artist there is a "good" radio or PA system there. I never knew of a CD player to play slower but if it ever happens to you, it's a pain in the arse..... so make sure it's a good one. Then I sync each shot and work out something usable for each section.

Sorry, kind of brain fried right now, in a nutshell this is how I do it, most of the time. There are probably more effecient ways to do it, but this seems to work pretty well for me. On occasion, my client will actually have a story board, or I'll create a "shot sheet" with exactly what shots I need, where, with who, what props I need, vehicles, etc. That way I make sure I get everything I need.

I would love to see a complete thread for this! I would love to get some other methods used by some of the pro's here. Mine is probably arse backwerdz to them... but thanks for the encouraging words!

aloha
Old August 11th, 2004, 06:40 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Why the sudden need to buy DVX100a, it's not HD. I also shoot XL1s and edit in Vegas, but if I change the camera it will be to the XL2. Anyway, you need to share some of the trick for the color correction. I am just amazed at how clear your footage came out.
Old August 11th, 2004, 08:45 AM   #8
Major Player

Hmm....yea, what's the dvx got to do with HD?
Michael Best is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2004, 02:40 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Sorry, nothing to do with HD... i was just making comparisons.
Kindof a "benchmark" of where I'd like to be soon. Reason I got the DVX is after using the Canon exclusively for the past year, I've had some quirks with the look, had to adjust a litte more then I'd like to, and with the Panasonic, the fact that it shoots 24p wasn't why I got it, it just looked better to me personally.

I still have the Canon, but I'll be using the DVX from now on.

Hey Rafal,
Best thing that helped me was taking the VASST training. Not sure if you know who Dougles Spotted Eagle is but they came out to Hawaii for some training and the color correction in itself makes it worth it. I also sat down over dinner with him and picked his brain as well. Very knowledgable guy! We just started the Hawaii Vegas Users Group www.hvug.com nothing there yet but soon there will be some scripts, tutorials, etc.

That's how much I love using Vegas!
Old August 11th, 2004, 06:27 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Although I never met him, I do know of him, exchanged few posts in the Vegas forums and got the fast start Vegas 5 DVD but I'll have to take his class next time he's in the area.
I heard about your group, as a matter of fact I would be back in Hawaii by now if things didn't change with my full time job here because my wife was born, raised in Hawaii, untill being "abducted" to mainland by me. At this time we plan on visiting around April so maybe we can get together . If I see things correctly, you own the Way Out West, correct?
Old August 11th, 2004, 06:31 PM   #11
Regular Crew

yeah, www.wayoutwestenterprises.com is all me. Kinda getting out of the music side, more into video. I'm doing some soundtrack stuff that should be really fun!

If you come back, drop us a line. We're a small users group but fun none the less.
Old August 12th, 2004, 06:31 AM   #12
Regular Crew

You bet. I'll let you know. Keep posting those videos.
Old August 13th, 2004, 01:48 AM   #13
Regular Crew

Good job, Rob!

I like the rich vivid colors in the beach scenes. Did you get that through color correction?

I also do music videos in my spare time, and I'm always interesting in learning and sharing new techniques. Here's a link to some no-budget videos I did for a friend of mine.

http://homepage.mac.com/robmoreno
Old August 15th, 2004, 01:46 AM   #14
Regular Crew

Thanks Rob,
Most of the beach scenes were given a little correction through color curves, not too much though, really good sunlight was a major factor, and the times we shot at as to not get the ole' baggy eyes look.

Nice stuff you did, love the whole "let's edit the video while we're at the game".... personally, I would've never made it out of my closet, I mean office.

I wish the moderators would setup a section just for music videos! I think the resource of different directors, directors of photography, and editors would prove to be a valuable tool for alot of us "newbie" directors.

Whaddya say Moderators????
Old August 29th, 2004, 09:33 PM   #15
Regular Crew

Very Cool Video.

Peace Jerome
Jerome Terry is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work