DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Show Your Work (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/show-your-work/)
-   -   My Student Film "Superbrawl" Teaser Trailer (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/show-your-work/30522-my-student-film-superbrawl-teaser-trailer.html)

Daniel Broadway August 14th, 2004 09:29 AM

My Student Film "Superbrawl" Teaser Trailer

Hey guys. I hope I am posting this in the right thread. I am a college student. I've been in a computer graphics major for a year and a half. But I'm also taking a filmmaking class. So we decided to do a fight in the air similar to the one at the end of Matrix Revolutions.

Live action actors were filmed against greenscreen with a Canon GL2. Keyed using Adobe After Effects and Keylight. Everything else is Computer Generated.

Anyway, I just wanted to show you guys a teaser trailer and get some feedback. Maybe some advice on how to improve my effects shots, or perhaps improve the editing. Thanks alot.

5 MB / 30sec / Quicktime

http://home.comcast.net/~awb1989/sup...ilerforweb.mov

By the way, that's me with the short hair.

Fred Finn August 14th, 2004 10:18 AM

Hey Daniel,

Wow you guys did a really good job!! It looks just like the effects used n the Matrix, nice!

Christopher Reynolds August 14th, 2004 01:17 PM

Beautifully done!!!! MORE MORE MORE! MORE I SAY! SHOW ME MORE! This gives me great hope for pulling off cg effects in my future productions. Everything in that trailer was crisp, clean, and extremely well done. KEEP AT IT!!! What do you mean improve? Everything flowed slicker than whale crap in an ice flow. I didn't see anything to improve.

edit: what rendering program did you use for the backdrop, rain, and lightning effects, as well as that crazy sphere that explodes when they collide? That song sounds so familiar, where is it from?

Rick Bravo August 14th, 2004 01:33 PM

Dude!

Are you sure your last name isn't Spielberg?!

Very cool.

RB

Daniel Broadway August 14th, 2004 03:13 PM

what rendering program did you use for the backdrop, rain, and lightning effects, as well as that crazy sphere that explodes when they collide? That song sounds so familiar, where is it from?

I used Adobe After Effects for the majority of the shots. The wide shots where it shows the people flying are "CG doubles" so to speak. I used Poser to model the "CG doubles" to look like the people. Then I used high-res photos taken on a stormy day to get the clouds.

The actors were filmed infront of a chroma key wall at the TV station where I work. Then I used Keylight to put them in the background.

The rain and the explosion of water particles at the end was done with 3ds max particle systems.

The song is 'Lacrimosa' from the Spiderman 2 trailer

Christopher Reynolds August 14th, 2004 07:41 PM

Thanks for the info buddy! I really need to get 3D Studio Max, I've seen a lot of beautiful pictures come from that. I've got Maya, but have yet to try my luck at it due to it being a CPU/Video Card/Memory hog. Im trying to learn the Adobe programs first.

It's always a riot to use great songs like that for trailers and in the project itself to spice it up, but is that song legal for use w/o buying rights? I've used a choir/classical song like that myself in a project, but don't know if it's legal (O Fortuna to name one). Anyway, you show great production potential, keep on keeping on! Man if I could find someone like you to join forces with in my area, I could learn so much faster!

edit: I just realized a thought that's been screaming in the back of my brain, that trailer really reminds me of the scene in Dark City where John Murdock and Mr. Book face off. Just thought I'd share that.

Daniel Broadway August 15th, 2004 02:26 PM

Christopher, I would highly recomment you stick with Maya. It is far more robust than 3ds max. 3ds max has the most user worldwide, but the industry standard (movie industry) for visual effects is Maya. It is a very nice program. If you want to learn how to do visual effects, I recomment going to your local Barnes and Noble, Borders, or whatever and finding books on Maya.

Also, take time to learn the Adobe programs first. It will be easier when you are ready to jump into 3d graphics. 3d graphics are also very hard to learn. VERY HARD. I only know about 2% these programs potential. But stick with it, and it can be very rewarding.

Also, you might want to check out CGtalk.com for info on 3d graphics.

Christopher Reynolds August 17th, 2004 04:48 PM

Thanks for the info! I've seen a slew of books on Maya at Borders, skimmed through them just to see its potentials. I'm very impressed with what I see, just hope my computer can handle it when I try to run it for the first time.

Eniola Akintoye September 10th, 2005 02:11 AM

what happened??????????? i can not view it!!!!!!!!!!!