Robert Rodriguez, Patron Saint of DV at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Old August 10th, 2002, 07:16 PM   #1
ChorizoSmells

Robert Rodriguez, Patron Saint of DV

Thank you Rodriguez for using and promoting DV. I read this Yahoo article:

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/nm/20020805/film_nm/leisure_spykids_dc_2

Although he shot it with the high end 24P camera, he is still, like us using DV to tell a story.
He is my kind of filmmaker. When I first saw his movie, "El Mariachi" I went out and got his book, "Rebel without a crew". I'm sure a lot of us are in his position. We shoot, edit, direct our own video with little or no crew. He is also a local Texas boy. If any of you guys see the movie, Spy Kids 2, especially in a theater with a digital projector(Rodriguez even says in the article it should be seen digitally if possible!) let me know how it looked/was. It won't get here for a couple of months after the U.S. opening and I doubt I can see it digitally.

I'm going to ask around here and see if any place here is using a digital projector although when I call up the theater, I'm sure nobody will have a clue as to what I'm talking about (digital projector??? no, no, customer-san, this is a film theater!!!). There used to be one at the Sony Tower basement, a movie theater using projectors but they shut it down, seems like nobody wanted to pay the full movie price for seeing it on a projector. But that was at least 7 years ago, I'm sure the projectors back then weren't as good as the ones they use now, made in Texas I believe, or at least the microchips are.

Another good thread might be a list of theaters with digital projectors, only 70 projectors in the U.S. It might save someone looking to see a movie in digital some hassle, just a thought.
Old August 14th, 2002, 10:33 PM   #2
ChorizoSmells

Found a good interview of him on the onion:

http://www.theonionavclub.com/avclub3829/avfeature_3829.html
Old August 16th, 2002, 09:53 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Man, exciting times with all this new technology.
Dean Bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2002, 10:00 PM   #4
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by chorizosmells : Found a good interview of him on the onion:

http://www.theonionavclub.com/avclub3829/avfeature_3829.html -->>>

Rik,

That was a good interview. I am interested to see what he does with the third in his El Mariachi series. Back when El Mariachi first came out, I was stunned to find out just what his production costs were. Love or hate his movies, you just have to respect the guy's drive and ability.
Houston, Texas
Paul Sedillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2002, 01:16 AM   #5
ChorizoSmells

When I saw a preview for the video, El Mariachi, I had no idea about it, I just thought,I have to check out this cool mexican flick, was really happy it was in spanish(mexican spanish). my wife liked a lot also and she just read the japanese subtitles. I would hate to see it with english subtitles.

I've been seeing movies in spanish over here but they were mainly from spain, if I could get some Cantiflas movies then I would be all set. BTW, saw Around the World in 80 Days a couple of weeks ago on tv and Cantiflas carried the whole movie, no need for David Niven!

It wasn't untill later when I started hearing about the movie how it was made with the 7,000 budget that I found out more about him, got his book and I knew to look out for his upcoming stuff.

Anyone know if Rodriguez has a website?
Old August 17th, 2002, 04:17 AM   #6
Major Player

He has a web site, but has done nothing with it:

http://www.loshooligans.com/

It is his production company.
Houston, Texas
Old August 18th, 2002, 08:47 AM   #7
New Boot

Robert Rodriquez has been a inspiration to me.
About 2 years ago I decided to try my hand at making a few shorts. Well a few debacles, equipment failures later I gave up.
I bought Rodriquez's book and was completely inspired to do it again and fix what was wrong last time!
I've completed two short scripts and now ready to rock and roll once I get the rest equipment later this month!
Rebel without a Crew is a amazing book!
blugill69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2002, 11:10 AM   #8
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by blugill69 : Robert Rodriquez has been a inspiration to me.
About 2 years ago I decided to try my hand at making a few shorts. Well a few debacles, equipment failures later I gave up.
I bought Rodriquez's book and was completely inspired to do it again and fix what was wrong last time!
I've completed two short scripts and now ready to rock and roll once I get the rest equipment later this month!
Rebel without a Crew is a amazing book! -->>>

It is a great book. I have re-read it several times and have always come away with something new. His ability to describe what he went through is excellent.
Houston, Texas
Old October 21st, 2002, 05:31 PM   #9
ChorizoSmells

another interview with Rodriguez:

http://millimeter.com/ar/video_man_hates_film/index.htm

happy to see he has Macs in his studio:)
Old October 21st, 2002, 06:22 PM   #10
Trustee

Interesting point about getting 60fps for slo-mo from 60i.

You gotta love the man, a voice of reality in a breeding ground for as**oles. (No offence intended to you Charles and others here, but I'm sure you know the type of people I'm talking about).
Adrian Douglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2002, 06:36 PM   #11
ChorizoSmells

Adrian,
how would one go about using that 60i for slo-mo? I would like to do some slo-mo experimenting.
Old October 21st, 2002, 06:41 PM   #12
Trustee

Just like Robert explains. Export each field as a seperate image, I have to check up on to how to do this, then import each image into your NLE as an individual frame. It's gonna take time but the result shold be nice smooth slo-mo.
Adrian Douglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2002, 09:35 AM   #13
RED Code Chef

If I understand what your saying you will loose 50% vertical
resolution. A field only consist of 50% of the vertical image. If
you generate a full frame from this you have to interpolate to
get back to 100%.... It might look nice though...

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2002, 06:21 PM   #14
Inner Circle

to chorizosmells....

Just to keep things in perspective, here is a rebuttal to using
HD in the Sept. Issue of millimeter

http://millimeter.com/ar/video_case_film/index.htm

Some of the charges were self serving ,dishonest and phony, but they had some good points about the limitations of HD in varying light situations(steadycam/glidecam work for action pieces that move through different types of light in a single shot).
I agree with at least one point of the article...
no need to jump on any bandwagons.

Film is not dead, some of us are just leaving it behind. Let those who want film use film. Those who want Digital, use digital.
Joe Carney is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work