"she" at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Old September 8th, 2004, 08:37 PM   #1
Regular Crew

"she"

This was my first music video treatment shot with GL2. I would love to hear what you think about it. My web site should be totally done by the end of the week. Thank you for your time. I look forward to your comments or questions.

http://www.mdfilms.net/
then goto music video tab, click "SHE"

Michael
Michael DeMattia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2004, 11:29 PM   #2
Regular Crew

I don't really like the way it is cut at the beginning with the music. It just needs to flow more. It's a very somber song and the way it is cut just seem harsh to me, but that's my opinion. Another thing is when the girl is on the beach and you have the waves transitioned over her. Something about it just doesn't ride well with me. I think the girl part should be less transparent. Because it kind of makes me dizzy with the waves and all.

On the plus you had some really beautiful shots in it, like the humming birds. Very nice.

And the only other thing that I didn't really like was the concept. It's just been done to death it seems. It's predictable from the start. Which is never good when telling a story. Again this is just personal opinion.

On a side note does the band have a website or a CD? I loved the song.
Lathe Austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2004, 11:36 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks for your comment but you dont get it. It's too bad that the humming birds were your plus. There is a lot to this video but you didn't get see those things or moments. Its totally cool, its your "personal opinion" like you said. But saying things like "making you dizzy" just doesn't make much sense. The starting cuts DO flow, how much more did you want it to flow. Thanks anyway.

Do you do video work. I'd like to see your site or work if you have any.

Thanks again
Michael
MDFilms
Old September 9th, 2004, 06:41 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Mike,
that is excellent video footage witht he GL2. I have a GL2, and what did you do to create some of the effects? Use filters? Matte Box? Or was that done when you edited? What kind of boom's supports did you use?
Kevin Galliford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2004, 06:46 AM   #5
Regular Crew

I dont really like to share effect settings but there are no filters or matte box. I use tons of color correction to get the different looks. I'm editing with FCPHD. There was only a tripod for support, no jib or boom. Thank for taking the time to watch the video. There will be more to come very soon. Let me know if there is anything I can do for you.
Old September 9th, 2004, 08:39 AM   #6
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by Michael DeMattia : I dont really like to share effect settings...-->>>

Why not?
Bobby Abernathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2004, 10:15 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Re: "she"

<<<-- Originally posted by Michael DeMattia :

Thank you for your time. I look forward to your comments or questions.

Michael -->>>

I don't really like to share my comments or questions.
Chris McKee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2004, 10:26 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Ya Thats Strange
Kevin Galliford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2004, 10:35 AM   #9
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by Michael DeMattia : Let me know if there is anything I can do for you. -->>>

I liked the look of several of your shots. How about sharing some of your shooting tips and effects? Oh yeah, that's right, you don't do that...
Bobby Abernathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2004, 12:43 PM   #10
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Michael DeMattia : Thanks for your comment but you dont get it. It's too bad that the humming birds were your plus. There is a lot to this video but you didn't get see those things or moments. Its totally cool, its your "personal opinion" like you said. But saying things like "making you dizzy" just doesn't make much sense. The starting cuts DO flow, how much more did you want it to flow. Thanks anyway.

Do you do video work. I'd like to see your site or work if you have any...

...I dont really like to share effect settings-->>>

Hi Michael, I usually donīt post in this kind of threads, but I think you could relax a bit.
I donīt think anyone is attacking you or trying to copy your style.
This is usually a very friendly forum where people share a lot of info and opinions.
Some may not agree all the time, but I think your posts are a bit harsh.
And donīt take this the wrong way, maybe Iīm wrong, but I think you might get a lot more from others if you donīt get so deffensive.

I mean, you asked for comments or questions.
Some will like your work, others might not.

But thatīs why one asks for comments right?
To see what others think of your work and become better at it?

Also if you donīt want to share some of your shooting tips, thatīs fine with me, but then why request questions?
You could just post whatever you think itīs appropiate for us to know.

Anyway, good luck!
Old September 9th, 2004, 06:14 PM   #11
Regular Crew

W O W !

It doesn't take much to upset people on this forum. I have no problem with good or bad comments. I dont like to share my settings since I take so much time to come up with them. I dont have any problem talking about other things, I just dont like giving that away. Its not meant to piss people off. I didn't think anyone was attacking me, just thought there comments didn't make sense, thats why I say something in return.
It seems like everyone needs to lighten up. I'm not here to piss people off.

Oh Well
Old September 9th, 2004, 06:44 PM   #12
Trustee

It's all good. Michael, usually when folks post their clips around here, if it's appreciated, people ask how you did it. It's just a complement, but in the end if you don't wish to share, you don't have to. It's your prerogative, and everyone else has to respect that.

But definitely, when you post a sample, it's assumed that you're looking for opinions, and, well, everybody's got one!

No harm, no foul. Everybody, please lets keep our posts constructive. Sarcasm definitely isn't constructive.

It's a nice looking piece of work, Michael.
Imran Zaidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2004, 08:12 PM   #13
Regular Crew

I'd just like to point out that in your first post, you said "I look forward to your comments and questions." However, you responded negatively to the first comment, and refused to answer questions about your settings. Why did you bother to start this thread at all?
Jim OMalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2004, 09:00 PM   #14
Regular Crew

I think it was pretty good overall to watch, but I don't think it is something you would see on MTV. Maybe there could be more effects to the interior shots, like distortion.
Matt Elias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2004, 11:00 PM   #15
Major Player

At the risk of getting my head cut off (kiddin!), i figured since u asked for opinions and comments etc... might as well give my 2 cents

1) The shots you've done, with regard to cinematography and colour design are really really well composed and very dramatic, i do like them indeed.
so yeh, i'd say an 7.5/10 on them (all relative to a well done music video)

2) The pacing of the music video, seems kinda off to me.. like, certain parts go really well with the music but certain parts don't.. the beginning part, u're trying to keep in tune with the bass, which works for some vidz, but doesn't really fit in with this one. 5.5/10

3) Your use of fx .. you've got some nice ones in there, and you do make em look good, but again, some of them don't fit.. maybe it's just me, but certain fx ( the fire one for instance) doesn't convey any msg to me, just is there for the sake of being there. 6/10

4) Overall you've done a bangup job for your first ever music video with a GL2, and certainly gives me hope of what i can do with mine, it's just the little nagging things which i'm sure will get better the more you film. 7.5/10 for a first timer which is really good. (not an avg btw and this is just my opinion so i'd like my head intact thankx ;)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work