"be like you" music video (in progress) - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Old November 5th, 2004, 03:52 AM   #31
Tourist

Hi Rich,

What an inspiring creation! I really enjoyed watching this video and going back and forth pause play pause step step play :D it really is an inspiration for what can be achieved on DV in terms of quality and a really professional look. Kudos to you for sharing your creative vision!

I have a question about the triplets guerney scene. Wonderful stuff I was hoping you could tell me how many camera passes were made down that hall? Did u pass for each new position for the actor or were three takes of the actor comped into the single pass?

Very stimulating production! Will get back to some obsessive pause and step viewing now.

Thanks for the weekend candy!
Jarra McGrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2004, 04:39 PM   #32
Regular Crew

hi Jara, i shot 3 passes of the guy with the guerny. I just had him push from 3 different positions, then comped them into a single shot in AE. so i would do one take, with him on the right pushing...then cut, reset, then do a take of him in the middle, cut, reset, then a take of him on the left. thats pretty much it.

thanks for checking it out! and im glad you like it!

peace!

http://www.rich-lee.com
Rich Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2004, 12:28 AM   #33
Regular Crew

Rich, Looked awesome! As good as any other video I've seen in the quality of imagery... I was amazed that this was a "working" draft.

CMV
Christopher Velasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2005, 12:52 PM   #34
Regular Crew

Kudos

Rich,

I wasn't able to view the file linked here, but I went to your site and watched all of your short films and all I can say is WOW. As someone who deals with very creative people 24/7 in the music industry I was totally blown away by your work and it takes a lot for me to have that reaction to any creative work these days.

When are you going to do a feature length film?

Brian
www.justplainfolks.org
Brian Austin Whitney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2005, 08:35 PM   #35
New Boot

Rich,
Just wanted to tag on a congrats for a well shot, lit, and edited piece. I have worked with many talented editors, camera operators, etc., and based on that piece, I believe you'll do just fine if you continue to persue your craft. Given the quality of the production, I was wondering if you would be willing to share a ballpark estimate of the production price tag. Not sure if you used a studio or location..the sets, props, and wardrobe all looked great, and I'm guessing a lot was rented. Some don't like to share price, but if you're willing I'd be curious to know. I imagine others would as well. Either way, great job and good luck!

-Robert
Robert Pflugfelder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2005, 07:04 PM   #36
Trustee

Rich

I'm a little late to the party, but I just got a look at your clip and I think you deserve all the praise that everyone has heaped on you so far. At the same time, I immediately had a reaction to your film that I thought I should share (as a little constructive criticism is usually more valuable than a ton of praise).

I'm think I'm probably from the old school when I state that on a creative level, music videos are, and should be, promotional tools for the band. In all the considerable energy you spent making your clip, you seem to have missed this basic fact. Somewhere in the film this singer needs to start looking, and acting like a rock star...and that never happens. I realize its the point of the film that he almost passively heads into the land of homogenization, but the video never takes off because our hero keeps sitting there with his eyes closed crooning the chorus. Unfortunately, your film starts to come off like a DP's reel (a very nice one albeit) but you haven't served your client well (even if you did this for free). All the bells and whistles are great, but if the star doesn't shine you don't have much of a picture. If it were me, I'd reshoot a few segments where this guy (and maybe some of the band) tear things up a little bit...or (a lesser choice) you shoot some performance stuff in the same setting to let us know who the band is...

Regardless, as I said at the beginning...great work. Some of the best I've seen on this forum and you have a great career ahead of you.

Barry
Barry Goyette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2005, 12:41 AM   #37
Regular Crew

Brian - thanks man. im not really up to doing a feature anytime soon. id like to stick to videos and shorts for a while before i think about attacking something as large as a feature.

Robert - thanks, we rented a hospital set which ate most of our budget. but in all the video cost around 5,000.

Barry - thanks for the compliments and the criticism. this is a very subjective issue. i think there is definitly a place for performance in videos, i like performance. but i think we were going for something a little different.... its not going to hit the mark for everyone.

thanks!

peace!

http://www.rich-lee.com
Rich Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2005, 07:38 AM   #38
Regular Crew

Rich, great job!

A friend of mine who follows dvxuser.com showed this to me last month. I'm glad to see you're in dvinfo.net too.

I just want to make two observations:

1. About a minute and 35 seconds in, how about timing each of the four box lights (I'm not sure what the technical term is for those x-ray lights) to turn on in sync with the drumbeats?

Ok I just reviewed that a couple of more times and it seems that the 2nd, 3rd and 4th lights are timed to the drums, but not the first one. I suppose that shot could be slid over to the right on your timeline a split second so there's a strong drumbeat for each light. The preceding shot has the lights timed to the drums but that's subtle, and the lightbox is explicit.

2. There seemed to be a continuity problem in the bandage unwrapping. However, there isn't. I think the severe difference of camera angles can throw people off. It's pretty close to 180' difference there. My brother commented about that but I went back and closely observed to be sure that there is no continuity problem there.

Thanks!
Murad Toor is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work