New Feature Film Trailer - heads or tails - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Old November 17th, 2004, 01:18 AM   #16
Regular Crew

Okay, I watch the "large" trailer. Let me hit on some of what I consider the good points:

- The music. Nice big lush symphonic sounds track, big league stuff, nothing minor league here.

- The images. Someone with an eye for good shots certain was DP on this one. The outdoor stuff is truly stunning to look at.

The biggest downside of this trailer is TOO MUCH INFORMATION! So many facts entered into evidence, without time to digest or order them in my mind. So much information that I honestly have only a slight idea what the movie might be about. It seems like the entire story is trying to be put into a coles notes trailer, which really served only to confuse me.

Trailers aren't to tell the entire story, they are to tell a small part of the story, enough to get people to want to sit and see the rest. This one had so much in it, I didn't know who was what or why.

I will also say that the editing was, especially in the first 30 seconds, very jumpy and the cuts very abrupt. The last 20 seconds was really quite nice ("don't go in there daddy..."). That had a nice feel to it.

There really was no "building of the terror" here, just images and words that I cannot understand the relationship of clearly.

Coloring and color balance is also a potential issue, as it isn't consistant through the segments. scoping and balancing out these clips, maybe putting an overall coloring on it would help to give it a more cohesive look.

Just my 2 cents worth!

Alex
Old November 24th, 2004, 10:53 AM   #17
Regular Crew

Thanks for all the input. Very good feedback.

While we in no way have tried to get the entire plot down into a short trailer (if anything we are still guarding it too much) i can see how one would think that being as the dialogue that is in the trailer is a bit vague unless you do know the story.

I think the general consensus from the boards is trailer a is a bit too long and confusing, and teaser c was stronger due to the atmosphere it created...although equally confusing.

I think we will be cutting a new trailer and keep it under 45 seconds. i personally like just giving atmosphere. i never like getting/giving plot elements because it takes away the audience enjoyment, but it's such a fine line about how much you need to give to pique interest to begin with.

I also agree about the color correction...we are about a month away from color correcting the movie itself which will hopefully give the images a more cohesive feel.
thanks!

Clark
(edited to remove duplicate words)
Clark Kline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2005, 09:56 AM   #18
Regular Crew

"heads or tails" feature film premiere

After over 18 months of production, we are finally premiering our film "heads or tails" on February 19th 2005 at the Weinberg Center in Frederick Maryland. 8pm

heads or tails
feature film premiere
Weinberg Center
February 19th 2005
www.foolmartyr.com
www.weinbergcenter.org

Weinberg Center is an historic theater that seats over 1000 people. Cast and Crew will be present and it will be the first time any of them have even seen the film.

I appreciate all the feedback on the teasers/trailers and pics from everyone on this board. If any of you are able to make it out, be sure to introduce yourself!

Thanks again for all the input!
Old April 21st, 2005, 12:43 PM   #19
Regular Crew

New Footage

We just uploaded color corrected footage for our feature film "heads or tails" shot on DVX100. If you have time, please check it out at www.foolmartyr.com.

While this isn't a trailer necessarily, it was footage edited together to show in a window on the main street in my home town advertising the premiere.

If you havent checked out the previous trailers- they are still online but keep in mind they were before color correction and sound mixing.

Let me know what you think
Thanks!
Clark Kline
Old April 24th, 2005, 10:05 PM   #20
Regular Crew

-

I prefer the Teaser C.

Since i don't agree with the person who says that your teasers/trailer gives too much information, i must say that Teaser C is the most balanced and it's the only one that gives the taste to know more about your movie.

Even if i don't like the concept, many pro's says that trailers should give maximum information to really attract potential viewers. People are lazy (unfortunately) and wants to know more about what they'll spend for. Very often, people will make their decision whether they'll see a movie or not by viewing 1 or 2 minutes of it. Of course you can bet on enigmatic ambiant trailer but most of the time it is risky.

Another thing about your trailer/teasers is the music (which is really good):

In my opinion, only Teaser C really match music/image ambiance in the good way. In others, music is too powerful for the image i see, contrast between both gives images an "amateur" look, even if it's not the case.

Of course i didn't see the movie, so i can only make an opinion of what i can see on the website.

Good luck for everything!

Jon
Jon Miova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2005, 09:41 AM   #21
Regular Crew

teasers

thanks for the input!

teaser C is my fave too, even though it doesnt have any dialogue. i am about to add dialogue and story content to the "Local Trailer" aka Trailer C.

I've thought about bringing on a trailer editor to help us out but haven't found one to do it volunteer yet. there is definately an art to trailers, and we are still trying to find it.

thanks again!

clark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Miova
I prefer the Teaser C.

Since i don't agree with the person who says that your teasers/trailer gives too much information, i must say that Teaser C is the most balanced and it's the only one that gives the taste to know more about your movie.

Even if i don't like the concept, many pro's says that trailers should give maximum information to really attract potential viewers. People are lazy (unfortunately) and wants to know more about what they'll spend for. Very often, people will make their decision whether they'll see a movie or not by viewing 1 or 2 minutes of it. Of course you can bet on enigmatic ambiant trailer but most of the time it is risky.

Another thing about your trailer/teasers is the music (which is really good):

In my opinion, only Teaser C really match music/image ambiance in the good way. In others, music is too powerful for the image i see, contrast between both gives images an "amateur" look, even if it's not the case.

Of course i didn't see the movie, so i can only make an opinion of what i can see on the website.

Good luck for everything!

Jon
Clark Kline is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work