New Feature Film Trailer - heads or tails at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Old September 14th, 2004, 07:53 AM   #1
Regular Crew

New Feature Film Trailer - heads or tails

We just posted our brand new Trailer A for the feature film "heads or tails" shot entirely on the dvx100p and edited on Final Cut Pro.

http://www.foolmartyr.com/

We're hoping to have our premiere by the end of the year.

If you have the time, please check it out and let me know what you think!

Clark
Clark Kline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2004, 09:37 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Hey:)

I downloaded your trailer and I have seen it about 5 times now.

I would like to give you my 2 cents and hope they can help.

The sound-mix has to be re-done. The dialogue is not clear and you can have a hard time finding out what the characters are saying.

The editing is okay, though it could be a bit more fluid.
And ít makes the trailer seem a bit long.

That was the minuses, but there are also several plusses.

First of all I think it is an interesting story that seem to have lots of aspects to it. Great.

Then there is the images...I really like a lot of them and especially the contrast and almost poetic feel, when we see "the man" walk in a field...I hope you know what I mean;)
That is a grat shot.

All in all I would like to see the final result.

Good luck my friend:)
Christian Hede Madsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2004, 11:45 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks for all the comments.

I agree the sound mix is not the best. We are still working on the sound in the film (as filming on a cliff had it's obvious disadvantages).

I am trying with the teasers and the trailers to be less like trailers of today, and while most people loved teaser B, general consensus for Trailer A seems that it needs to be more like today's trailers (faster edits, more punchy etc...).

But thanks for the comments. I'll be taking everything I get into consideration when I cut the FINAL trailer in a few weeks after we get the rough cut sent to some festivals.
Old October 5th, 2004, 08:58 AM   #4
Regular Crew

we are about to do our last trailer and partly due to these message boards have decided to keep it short and sweet (about 1:30), with a voiceover to help drive the story home.

anyone else have any suggestions?
Old October 5th, 2004, 02:47 PM   #5
Inner Circle

You have some travels in your last trailers, like with the people standing in front of a room (am I right...?) and that thing with the badthub... that was cool, I would use that... Others then that, I really loved your music!
If I can give you my personal opinion: I liked teaser C the most,
so I would use things of that trailer,but that's personal...
I could be wrong offcourse.
Hope it works out fine. bye**
Mathieu Ghekiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2004, 02:02 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Oops, little mistake, I meant Teaser B.
Old October 13th, 2004, 10:53 AM   #7
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by Mathieu Ghekiere : Oops, little mistake, I meant Teaser B. -->>>

thanks for the comments! we hope to cut one last trailer in november for our gala screening in February!
Old October 22nd, 2004, 06:00 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Very, very nice job Clark.............Well done!
All the best.
Doug
Old November 8th, 2004, 02:39 PM   #9
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by Doug Fearman : Very, very nice job Clark.............Well done!
All the best.
Doug -->>>

thanks!
Old November 9th, 2004, 12:02 AM   #10
Hawaiian Shirt Mogul

hummmm !!
i viewed all 3 trailers ...1st i viewed each image & sound .. then i viewed them with the audio turned off , then just listen to all ..
NONE of them are working for me ... the sound track by itself doesn't work , the clip do not work alone , nor do they work together ( here and there they do but only few seconds)

IMO you do have something here that i can see can work
BUT i have to say whomever ( person or group ) is editing your trailers it's time for somebody else to step in ...

you have many excellent images /sequences/compositions/movement /light/a flow/mystery

i sense somebody is in love with some of the images but they aren't working as a whole ..again you have 3 trailers - let somebody else edit
or if this is a case of the director is standing over the editor it's time for the director to step out of the editing room ... if this is the director editing the trailer STEP aside .... you have some great images - let somebody else arrange the trailer ...
IMO keep in under 90sec ...
Don Donatello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2004, 01:36 PM   #11
Inner Circle

I think they are very strong, specifically trailer b. But offcourse that's only my opinion. I don't agree you have to keep the length of a trailer under 90 seconds. For many films it could work, for others it doesn't.
I think you can apply both on a film though most times.
Old November 16th, 2004, 09:45 AM   #12
Regular Crew

all very good input. if we do another trailer we've decided to do one that is more along the lines of a 30-40 second trailer. Something quick and punchy. I agree the trailer right now is too long...and doesn't have the quick cuts that people are used to in trailers especially of today.

However, I am not a fan of most current trailers, with the quick cuts and almost the entire film given out to you in 2 second flashes. Some of my favorite trailers creep up on you. ..only give you so much, and save the surprises and the best elements for the movie. I think trailers should only give people a sense of what the film is about...from that the audience can decide if it's something they want...

But that being said, we can still do that using the input you've provided. Thanks.

<<

IMO you do have something here that i can see can work
BUT i have to say whomever ( person or group ) is editing your trailers it's time for somebody else to step in ...

you have many excellent images /sequences/compositions/movement /light/a flow/mystery

i sense somebody is in love with some of the images but they aren't working as a whole ..again you have 3 trailers - let somebody else edit
or if this is a case of the director is standing over the editor it's time for the director to step out of the editing room ... if this is the director editing the trailer STEP aside .... you have some great images - let somebody else arrange the trailer ...
IMO keep in under 90sec ... -->>>
Old November 16th, 2004, 12:57 PM   #13
Inner Circle

<<<-- Originally posted by Clark Kline : all very good input. if we do another trailer we've decided to do one that is more along the lines of a 30-40 second trailer. Something quick and punchy. I agree the trailer right now is too long...and doesn't have the quick cuts that people are used to in trailers especially of today.

However, I am not a fan of most current trailers, with the quick cuts and almost the entire film given out to you in 2 second flashes. Some of my favorite trailers creep up on you. ..only give you so much, and save the surprises and the best elements for the movie. I think trailers should only give people a sense of what the film is about...from that the audience can decide if it's something they want...

-->>> -->>>

I agree with you. Some trailers work with their flashy cutting, but others just don't work too.
My opinion.
Good luck with everything, please give a link to it all, I really am curious to see it all!
Old November 16th, 2004, 01:09 PM   #14
Regular Crew

<<<--

I agree with you. Some trailers work with their flashy cutting, but others just don't work too.
My opinion.
Good luck with everything, please give a link to it all, I really am curious to see it all! -->>>

thanks much. when we get our screenings lined up I'll post to the board. we also have an email list on the website www.foolmartyr.com . we showed our latest rough cut this past weekend and we got a lot of positive feedback. I think we are getting close to a final cut.
Old November 16th, 2004, 05:17 PM   #15
Regular Crew

Actually, I can't watch it at all. Uploading files as MP4's will insure great quality but it will also insure that not many people will be able to watch it. You have to have the latest, latest version of quick time and and updated browser to see it.

If you're marketing a feature film, you want to make sure that it's available to everyone, no matter hopw old their system is. My suggestion would be to take your trailer into a program called Sorenson Squezze and make a regular quicktime and make sure it has the .MOV file extension. I've had the best results doing it that way.

Good luck!
Jake Hensberry is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work