National TV series shot on DV at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Old August 16th, 2002, 08:58 AM   #1
New Boot

National TV series shot on DV

Good morning,

Great site, Chris-you run a 1st class operation.

For the last 5 years, I have had a TV series on TNN. I write, host & produce. I shoot on mostly DVCAM, DSR-300 and DSR-PD150 cameras but have taken the XL1 to Africa, Alaska and Australia.
I edit on an Avid 9000.

In 2003, I launch 3 additional series.

If you'd like to see a good example of what this gear can do on a limited budget just tune in.

Bushnell's Secrets of the Hunt
TNN Sat@ 9am, CST
Sun@ 9:30am, CST

www.secretsofthehunt.com

I look forward to trading information with all of you.

Best,

Dave Watson
DaveWatson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2002, 01:10 PM   #2
Major Player

continued welcome

Dave,
If you get a chance to come up to Alaska again to shoot some footage in the future, look my partner and I up prior to your trip.

Our focus on almost 75% on fly fishing, but living, hunting, and fishing up here has it's advantages on the "Alaska type information" I'd be willing to share with another person in the same field.

I use the email below from my sons website to keep the spam down, but I will reply from another email.

fieldy@teamkorn.tv

Glads to see you here....Chris does a great job, and I've really received some great information and conversation from the group in the short time I've been here.

Rgds.,
Dan
Old August 17th, 2002, 11:19 PM   #3
New Boot

Alaska Trip

Thanks Dan,

I enjoy your beautiful state and go there often. I'll give you a heads up when & where. Do you freelance? I'll need a cameraman on the trip.

Thanks,

Dave
Old August 18th, 2002, 07:31 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Hi Dave,

I've seen the show...you do a great job. Congratulations also on the values and activities you and your program promote.

I have an outdoor show as well. It's seen on broadcast stations here in Michigan and nationally on The Outdoor Channel (I know, TOC gets lots of criticism for the quality of some shows, but I can't seem to generate the cash required for air on the bigger outlets).

Years ago we used to shoot my show on MII (Panasonic's professional format at the time, roughly equivalent in quality, size and price to beta sp).

When DVC Pro became an accepted format we switched over to that for acquisition. The quality was good and the cameras were much cheaper, but still a little big to haul around the woods or up into a treestand.

Then we got an XL1 which I liked, but couldn't get used to the standard lens. Like many others I had focus problems that drove me crazy. I was ready to give up on mini dv, thinking it was strictly a prosumer format.

That concept changed when I bought a 16x manual lens. I'm very happy that piece of equipment and now use the XL1 for almost everything.

In my opinion the mini dv format has proven itself to be "broadcast quality". I've sent out hundreds of shows shot with that format and not one person has made a negative comment about quality. In fact, just the opposite, we hear how good the show looks.

Now we're even thinking of getting one of the new GL2's for some of the especially tough shoots.

mike avery
www.OutdoorMagazine.tv
Mike Avery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2002, 09:28 AM   #5
New Boot

Thanks Mike, appreciate the comments on the show.

The best part of our first year on air, was that the network folks were still in the, "if it's not shot on betaSP, it's not broadcast quaility", age. So, being on the limited budget that we all deal with, I'd shoot the fooatge on the XL1, bump it to betaSP and then take it down to the studio and have everyone in the room amazed at the incredible footage I brought back from the field.

Hope they don't read this post. lol

Dave
Old August 19th, 2002, 10:10 AM   #6
RED Code Chef

Welcome aboard Dave. Very nice to have someone with your
experience and an actual show aboard! Do you have much
troubles "airing" the DV material?

Thanks.

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2002, 10:40 AM   #7
Major Player

camera man

Dave,
The way we setup our LLC, there are no issues with freelancing.

I would be honored to shoot on your projects up here.

I do need some decent advance notice though....
We are currently shooting for a project, and have a lodge promotional video to shoot before it freezes up, which will happen at the end of August or sometime in September.

Also, we are currently scheduled to shoot a project in New Zealand the last week in Feb. to the first week in March of 2003.

I actually have a "real job" where I work 40+ hours a week.
That's mostly the reason for decent advanced notice on shoots.

I also have, or have access to 4 wheelers and snowmachines, and am building a small cabin right on the Kashwitna river just south of Talkeetna that should be finished this winter or early spring of next year. The cabin is on the road system ~5 miles off the Parks highwway as an FYI.

Rgds.,
Dan
Old August 19th, 2002, 03:51 PM   #8
New Boot

Rob...No, I haven't had an issue with the networks but, you do need to be careful in post. The "new & improved" , modern, major networks have converted to computer servers instead of a good old fashion tech putting a tape in a machine and hittin' play.
The server compresses the footage, and then if the network goes through Direct TV or Dish Network, it's compressed again. That makes your hard work in the field look like you shot on VHS!

So, it's fine to shoot on DV but the master has to be un-compressed.

Good shooting,

Dave
Old August 20th, 2002, 01:15 AM   #9
Obstreperous Rex

To those who have been following this thread, you may notice some missing posts. For anyone concerned about that, I will refer you to the FAQ (link at top of page) which clearly states that the discussion of sensitive political issues has no place in this forum. Our community is an arena for *technical and creative* discussions only. Program content, whether it is about hunting or gay rights activism or whatever, is not open for debate. Please take those issues to private e-mail instead. Thanks,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work