Show Your Work 2002 - Page 18 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Closed Thread

Old September 10th, 2002, 06:56 PM   #256
Trustee

Hi Nori. Nice footage. Just to clarify, did you shoot all that with the old XL1 or the new XL1s?
Old September 10th, 2002, 08:28 PM   #257
Wrangler

You should call up the station first and find out what they will accept.

Also, talk to the company that's currently doing the broadcast and find out how they do it.
Old September 10th, 2002, 09:01 PM   #258
Warden

Hi Doug,

Super Newbie questions welcome. Don't worry about the questions, the knowldge is here, in this community. The people here will help as often and as much as required. So, first step call the station and find out their requirements for broadcast. Then talk to some people in your church. someone must know a little of whats going on. Then talk to the production company. Ask if you can observe if you stay out of the way. Then, when you have questions, search the archives here and if you can't find the answer post your questions. The answers will come.

Jeff
Old September 11th, 2002, 06:47 AM   #259
RED Code Chef

These "rules" are actually very good, especially for internet
only productions. Whether or not you follow the original Dogma
ideas or not, these are very good guidelines.

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Old September 11th, 2002, 07:17 AM   #260
Major Player

QuickTime 6 will be able to stream full lenght features in full screen on ADSL connections.

Rules don't apply well to digital technology. I would suggest the eleventh rule "Learn your tools and keep updated - it takes skills to be on the edge".

640x480 does not calculate well from 720x480 NTSC. Respect the codec algorithms. If it's in NTSC origin run it at 15fps or 29,97fps. PAL should run in 12,5fps or 25fps. Otherwise the codec get's confused. All to often I see people running films at 18fps "to save space" resulting in poor image quality.

Progressive DV will put web streaming in a completely new light. In stead calculating 60i we would calculate 30i.
Old September 11th, 2002, 07:40 AM   #261
dougakins

Thanks!

Thanks for your help and advice.

Old September 11th, 2002, 08:44 AM   #262

<<<-- Originally posted by Martin_M : QuickTime 6 will be able to stream full lenght features in full screen on ADSL connections.

"Learn your tools and keep updated - it takes skills to be on the edge".

Perhaps more than anything, "to be on the edge" takes money!
Old September 11th, 2002, 11:26 AM   #263
Wrangler

The good old Xl1 is what I use, but I use the 14X manual lens, which in my opinion is a thousand times better than the Xl1s basic package. I've looked at upgrading to the XL1s, but I'm still not convinced it would be worth my while. All the footage I've seen from the XL1s looks no better than my Xl1.
Old September 11th, 2002, 01:41 PM   #264
Trustee

Thanks for that. Do you think the lens is better image quality , or just useability? (zoom, focus etc)
Old September 11th, 2002, 03:18 PM   #265
_redone_

saw one on the news filming folks in NY during the WTC attacks,
and saw another filming in some night club on E!.

I was in Mexico not too long ago and noticed a man filming people with
an XL1S. I asked what the footage was for, and he said it was for "girls gone wild" ....Hmmm, you would think any camera would be suitable for that quality
of video.
www.eatdrinkmedia.com
Old September 11th, 2002, 08:38 PM   #266
Regular Crew

Canons have been no stranger to the Howard Stern show... back when the show was aired on CBS, you could easily spot multi-camera scenes where they'd be running around the halls with Canon L2/L1 Hi8s.. then subsequently XL1 cameras.

I believe their radio-room shots were with larger broadcast cameras though.
Old September 11th, 2002, 09:16 PM   #267
Wrangler

The lens is way better image quality, the only thing I don't like about the 14X is the zoom control, which I believe the 16x manual lens has added. Other than that, I would like to have a follow focus system to pull focus from the side. It's hard to compare all the different lenses living in a small town that doesn't even sell XL1's.
-Nori
Old September 12th, 2002, 07:24 AM   #268
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Good Dog : Perhaps more than anything, "to be on the edge" takes money! -->>>

I don't think so. To be on the edge demands disrespect of rules. In later years digital video evolution has been pushed forward by people using unexpected combinations of off-the-shelf software and hardware to reduce costs traditionally connected to high end video on computers. Take a look at companys like The Orphanage. Or people like Scott Billups. It's a hacker type of mentality. Without them we'd still be on super expensive Avids and SGI's. Whitout the disrespectful hippie attitude like Apple's (Jobs) we'd have no FireWire.

QuickTime 6 Pro is not very expensive. What? $25? Mpeg4 is THE codec of the future for video content on the web (MicroSoft have still to realize that). Heck, people have been downloadfing DivX (sort of Mpeg4 beta) films like crazy. Why not make that technology easily available for everyone. I'm sure Apple will make it user friendly.
Old September 12th, 2002, 08:05 AM   #269
RED Code Chef

Any place I can download that instead of stream? That doesn't
work here at my company and I don't have a broadband connection
at home. Thank you.

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Old September 12th, 2002, 02:05 PM   #270
Trustee

Dunno what platform you're on, but if I use Download Accelerator it seems to grab streaming files fine.

Cheers
Aaron
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work