Show Your Work 2002 - Page 20 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Closed Thread

Old October 15th, 2002, 07:18 PM   #286

Paul,

Glad to hear it was of some value to you. We too are gearing up for a new project. It's proven to be a valuable tool. As they discuss in the body of the material, story is everything, and ours seems to be a perfect fit.

Best of luck to you on your upcoming documentary, too!
Old October 16th, 2002, 10:05 AM   #287
Regular Crew

Holy Cow, My film was selected by Ifilm...go See it!

My film, RuN, was selected as a "Ifilm Pick" by www.Ifilm.com so Support a Fellow Xl1s owner and go see it and give it an awesome rating! Thanks!
here's the URL:
http://www.ifilm.com/ifilm/product/film_info/0,3699,2439660,00.html

P.S. It wasn't shot on a xl1s but go see it anyway:)
www.showiki.com - Entertainment Biz Wiki
www.filmexposure.org - My Media Company
Old October 16th, 2002, 12:57 PM   #288
Major Player

Re: Holy Cow, My film was selected by Ifilm...go See it!

<<<-- Originally posted by Adam Craig : My film, RuN, was selected as a "Ifilm Pick" by www.Ifilm.com so Support a Fellow Xl1s owner and go see it and give it an awesome rating! Thanks!
here's the URL:
http://www.ifilm.com/ifilm/product/film_info/0,3699,2439660,00.html

P.S. It wasn't shot on a xl1s but go see it anyway:) -->>>

Adam,

Congrats! So what camera did you shoot with?
Houston, Texas
Old October 16th, 2002, 01:04 PM   #289
Regular Crew

Thanks!

This film was done with a Panasonic PVDV 910 (Just a basic 1-chip consumer camera). This was done before I bought the XL1s, but it would have been sweet to use this though. The only concern would be running full speed... it could turn out like that trailer from that Eddie Murphy movie, Showtime. Crash!

Adam
Old October 16th, 2002, 01:11 PM   #290
RED Code Chef

Looks very nice Adam! Good work. Anymore you can tell us about
how you made it? Looks liked you used a steadicam or something
at least? Nice editting job too!

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Old October 16th, 2002, 02:47 PM   #291
Air China Pilot

That was pretty f'n good. II liked nearly everything about it. You know how to put your shots together and it had plenty of style. Loved that stunt when the guy ran over the car. Impressed by your steadi-work (however you did it).

The only things that were detractors was the voice of the heavy, the daytime fight in the parking lot that just seemed to end abruptly for no reason, and the 'ending'. I think you could even have gotten away with leaving it open ended.
Old October 16th, 2002, 03:13 PM   #292
Slash Rules!

Very nice, good sir. I think I got confused, but it was probably my fault. I had the extreme pleasure of watching it over a 56k modem. I feel sorry for that poor bastard at the end.
Old October 16th, 2002, 03:21 PM   #293
Major Player

Re: Thanks!

<<<-- Originally posted by Adam Craig : This film was done with a Panasonic PVDV 910 (Just a basic 1-chip consumer camera). This was done before I bought the XL1s, but it would have been sweet to use this though. The only concern would be running full speed... it could turn out like that trailer from that Eddie Murphy movie, Showtime. Crash!

Adam -->>>

As both Rob and Keith mentioned, I would like to hear more about the making of your short movie.

Also, what software did you use to edit the movie in?
Houston, Texas
Old October 16th, 2002, 05:56 PM   #294
Regular Crew

How i did it...

OK, This was originally a group project for a Webster Universuty Video I class. The class only gave up access to Old SVHS cameras but we wanted more possibilities. So we decided on Who was acting, directing, etc... and decided to use my Panasonic MiniDV camera.

After storyboarding A basic skeleton of the Film (in an hour) we decided to meet one saterday and shoot the whole thing. Most of the shots just started as an idea like "wouldn't it be cool if..."

The Camera stabelizer i used was similar to one shown in these photos: http://www.steadytracker.com/steady5.html. I had a knock off that I paid far too much for.

After having about 45 min of footage, and pretty good coverage, I decided to edit the film in Adobe Premiere 6.0 and do the sound editing in Sound Forge 4. The visual effects were done in AfterEffects 5.0

Those Freeze frames in the beginning (influenced by Guy Richie's Snatch) were done in photoshop 6. I first thought i should just freeze frame in premeire and just add titles but the interlacing of the video created this weird strobing effect. So I exported the frame I wanted frozen into a Targa frame and simply took that one frame and filled in the background with what ever color i thought looked the best and simply repeated that frame for as long as was confortable.

The Gunshot was done in the same manner, only i took the frame before he jerks his hand back and airbrushed a white and yellow triangle (looks like actual gunshot).

The introduction was done using basic keyframes and a large digital image to pan across.

The black and white portion was shot with a SVHS camera mounted on a tripod resting on the upper level of the garadge. I (the black guy) just threw my head back as though i got shot and added the flame from the gun the same was as memtioned above. The blood crawling down the sidewalk is rootbeer somone happen to have on the set. We poured next to my head just after i acted shot. To do this, we had everyone in frame hold still will the rootbeer got poured and then contunied the scene from there, editing around the grip that ran in frame.

All the actual running, car chasing etc.. was sped up about 50%
(150% of actual speed) to give it more energy while being safe on location.

And everything else was just carful, time consuming editing.

We didn't use any external mics other than a lav for the voice overs. And one section of dialog was re recorded in post due to not having any audio equipment.

Well, that's all i can think of. Just basic equipment and some creative kids...

Did that answer your questions?

Oh, The NLE I had was a Dual P3 866 mhz with a Pyro firewire card, 256 o'ram, Gainward Geforce 3 Card. And that's about it, i think.

Please Don't forget to Go to the Ifilm site and Give it a rating so, i can get more of an audience, and tell friends... Hopefully, this will open some doors.
Old October 16th, 2002, 06:09 PM   #295
Air China Pilot

The sped up bits were nice.
Old October 24th, 2002, 07:20 AM   #296
Regular Crew

In my opinion digital has a long way to go before it will be as good or even better then film, and remember new film with higher speeds and finer grain are being developed as we speak.
Old October 24th, 2002, 03:28 PM   #297
New Boot

Xl-1 on cable

I just finished a 30 sec. commercial for a Toyota dealer in Los Angeles. It will air starting 10-28-02 on TNN. I used my Cannon Xl-1 and did the editing on a 1 gig pentium 111, 20 gig hard drive using Ulead MediaStudio Pro 6.0. I really love the Xl-1 and the dealer thought I used film. The camera really has great picture quality and I'm also shooting a movie for DVD realease. The ulead software is really easy to use and I've never had a crash durring captue. They could do a better job with the instuctional manual as it's sometimes confusing. Iv'e read reviews knocking Ulead however this is a very powerfull editing App.
Old October 24th, 2002, 07:01 PM   #298
Wrangler

Cool! Did you shoot in Frame Movie Mode?
Old October 28th, 2002, 06:34 PM   #299
Regular Crew

My Project Greenlight Scene

Well, my scene didn't make it to the Top 250. But I did want to share it with this community, since I've learned so much here.

http://www.singlereel.com/directory/clip-20863.html

It's 3 minutes, Quicktime, but not streaming. It's 10mb, so you have to wait until it downloads before you can play it. Be patient, it takes a while.

Shot it on a PD150, cut it on Premiere. Had to compress it down to 10mb as per the PGL guidelines. That's why it looks kinda crappy.

I'd be happy to answer questions, and I'd love to hear comments. Thanks,

Kris Carrillo
WCTV 56
Old October 29th, 2002, 10:57 AM   #300

Hix,

For those of us that don't live in LA, can you post it somewhere we could see it?
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work