DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Show Your Work (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/show-your-work/)
-   -   Show Your Work 2002 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/show-your-work/355-show-your-work-2002-a.html)

Chris Ward November 18th, 2001 08:54 AM

Show Your Work 2002

We originally were going to shoot this documentary about a heroic gay LA policewoman in PAL with a Sony dsr-250, however, when we couldn't get the equipment in time we switched to a NTSC Canon XL1S. We just shot for two weeks and got outstanding results. More shooting to come...

Chris Hurd November 18th, 2001 11:05 PM

Pleeeeze keep us advised on this, Chris... given your established track record, I can't wait to see how it turns out. If you have any production stills and/or commentary, I'll be happy to give you some pages on the Watchdog, if you want it showcased.

Chris Hurd January 3rd, 2002 07:36 AM

Quick note regarding this forum

Transplanted from a different location on the Community. If I did everything right, then all previous threads with their posts are now here intact. The only change is its listing order on the main forum page. Thanks,

Barbara Lowry January 4th, 2002 12:52 PM

P+S Technik Mini 35 Digital Adapter

The Mini 35 Digital adapter (for the XL-1 and XL-1S to accept 35mm film lenses while maintaining all of the lens's characteristics) is being used more and more.

A Budweiser spot is being shot out on the west coast and two shorts were just completed. One of them was shot by Matt Phillips, DP from Ontario who sent an unsolicited testimonial to ZGC today. See what he says (www.zgc.com) about using the Mini 35 Digital adapter with his XL-1 as well as the other equipment/accessories he used to shoot his short film "Dying Like Ophelia."

Rob Lohman January 11th, 2002 04:47 AM

my other post

I've posted an interesting article (I hope :) in
the other forum Let's Talk About Movies, the
post is titled "el mariachi / desperado (& a bit
on se7en)" and talks about cheap movie making
styles.

Enjoy!

Don Williamson January 13th, 2002 04:10 PM

DV on New iMac

I just finished playing some uncompressed Final Cut Pro movie clips (made with my XL1) I burned on CD on a brand new Apple iMac at the local Apple Store (in Tysons Corner, VA). This is the just announced 800 mhz iMac with the DVD burner and "floating" LCD monitor. I was quite impressed! The iMac played the clips beautifully. The 15" LCD display, equivalent to a 17" crt is one of the best I've seen. It's amazingly bright and sharp. In my opinion it outperformed the 17" Apple LCD display and also the 22" Cinema Display. In fact, It seemed to play my clips as well as the dual 800 PowerMac Tower! You probably could use DVD Studio Pro on this machine, along with Final Cut Pro and a firewire video hard drive. Talk about DV for the masses!!

Don Williamson January 13th, 2002 04:31 PM

DV on New iMac

I just finished playing some uncompressed Final Cut Pro movie clips (made with my XL1) I burned on CD on a brand new Apple iMac at the local Apple Store (in Tysons Corner, VA). This is the just announced 800 mhz iMac with the DVD burner and "floating" LCD monitor. I was quite impressed! The iMac played the clips beautifully. The 15" LCD display, equivalent to a 17" crt is one of the best I've seen. It's amazingly bright and sharp. In my opinion it outperformed the 17" Apple LCD display and also the 22" Cinema Display. In fact, It seemed to play my clips as well as the dual 800 PowerMac Tower! You probably could use DVD Studio Pro on this machine, along with Final Cut Pro and a firewire video hard drive. Talk about DV for the masses!!

Bill Ravens January 16th, 2002 12:42 PM

one small point......DV is compressed. About 5:1

Steve Kim January 16th, 2002 04:48 PM

XL1 movie: "Woman at the Well

FILM SHOT ON A CANON XL-1
Date: 31 Oct 2001
Time: 01:53:50
Remote Name: 65.115.192.234

Comments
My film "Woman at the Well" was shot completely on a Canon XL-1 ... it's a cool camera and the only thing is that the stock lense is a little bit of a pain to deal with. Of course a better choice for something buying a new camera would be the Canon XL-1S, with a bit more lines of resolution and a better lense for the same price as the XL-1 when they first came out that's what I would go for. If you want to check out the film check out the below link some time after Friday Nov. 2nd and you can watch it on ifilm.com ...

http://www.ifilm.com/ifilm/product/film_info/0,3699,2405180,00.html

Don Williamson January 16th, 2002 08:27 PM

I've been under the impression (misimpression?) that mini dv video in the form of a Final Cut Pro self contained movie is, in fact, uncompressed. When I burn video footage on a CD I can only get 3 minutes of video on a 700 mb CD. When the video is output to mini dv tape, however, it is compressed 5:1. Surely one can't be editing their dv footage in compressed form. Am I missing something here? If it is compressed in FCP self contained movie form, that means uncompressed would give you less than a minute of video on a CD!

Bill Ravens January 17th, 2002 09:13 AM

My understanding is that mini-DV is, by definition, compressed 5 to 1. The avi wrapper is a means to decompress the data for display. Anytime data is written to DV format, however it is compressed. I don't beleive there are any desktop systems that are capable of playing truly uncompressed video because the data rates are too high for the hard drive to handle. That's why people spend the big bucks on SCSI RAID devices.

globalvillage January 17th, 2002 04:40 PM

Bill is right about the compression ratio of DV. It originates at 5:1. On a DV based NLE, you have no control over how that 5:1 compressed video is handled. It's at 5:1 going in, and it's at 5:1 coming out. If you digitize the same footage into a non DV-based system (i.e. SDI or analog input), you can control the compression ratio, even take it in "uncompressed." But the final quality will never be any better than the original compressed video. Consider this analog analogy: You shoot something with a consumer VHS camcorder, dub the footage to Beta, and edit in Beta. The final product, even though it's on Beta, will never look any better than the original VHS. The example may be a bit extreme and oversimplified, but that's roughly how it works. DV format compression is perfectly fine, though and it is "broadcast quality," even though it compressed. I hope this helps.

Bill S.

Mike Butler January 24th, 2002 05:49 PM

I love stories about hpw XL1's save the day. Sort of ratifies what I have been nagging about all along. Dump your Betacams, boys and girls, we are gonna free the world!

Michael Dontigney February 2nd, 2002 05:27 PM

I'm confused... What does her sexual orientation have to do with anything? If she wasn't gay she wouldn't have been heroic? Do gay people have a harder time doing something heroic, and if so.. why?

Adrian Douglas February 2nd, 2002 07:11 PM

This is a forum about Dv, lets keep the politics out of it ay? What does it matter the why's or what for's of a project, it just matters that it's being shot in DV and more importantly an XL1. Chris is a guy who's experience we can all benefit from so lets keep the question to DV issues.

Michael Dontigney February 2nd, 2002 07:36 PM

Oh, I agree..But, I wasn't the one that brought up the sexuality of the person the video was about. I was just curious how her sexuality had anything to do with the heroic act she performed.
It piqued my intrest. I'll watch it because Chris is good, and I know it'll be quality work. (plus it was filmed with an XL1.. wooo!)

Adrian Douglas February 2nd, 2002 11:18 PM

Thanks for the mature reply. You took it as it was intended, it certainly wasn't intended as a dig. Chris works hard to keep this a quality forum and it amazing how easily people get offended even when the question is innocent.

I guess being a gay policewoman even in todays so-called PC society has it's difficulties. Could be an interesting twist from school football hero to hero policeman

Wayde Gardner February 7th, 2002 12:35 PM

I had to jump in...

becuase this is really just a logline of sorts that quickly targets the suject of the movie/doc. If you're writing to grab someone's attention with a one sentence story, then yes, it does matter as far as describing the plot.

My humble two cents as I've made a hobby at writing loglines.

Adrian Douglas February 8th, 2002 07:36 AM

Deffinately, twists in the plot/characters make for a far more interesting story.

How's the pre production going Wayne?

Bob Zimmerman February 9th, 2002 10:17 PM

New movie with XL1

I went to a movie today and in the previews for a Robert DeNiro movie called "Showtime" they showed at least twice a guy shooting with a XL1. In one scene the Xl1 gets smashed to pieces!!! Ouch! The XL1 is getting to be a pretty good prop on the big screen

Nathan Gifford February 15th, 2002 05:44 AM

Cake Uses XL-1 On Music Video.

If you watched AudilFile last night on TechTV the band Cake revealed that they produced their own music video using a Canon XL-1 and Avid.

At first their distributor said 'how-hum' and then came back to them and said, 'when can you have 6 more?'

Their advice was to get camera, Final Cut Pro and shoot.

Nathan Gifford

***angel February 16th, 2002 12:40 AM

paganini's blues, documentary

hi, please take a look at www.paganiniblues.com that is a documentary shoot with a canon xl1 and gl1 in El paso, tx.-Juarez,Mexico area, about a descendent of the famous violinst nicola paganini, who lives a the street. i did a shoots with my home made crane and steadycam, that you can see in the trailer.

Chris Hurd February 16th, 2002 01:01 AM

Awesome! Beautiful website. Thanks!!

John Locke February 16th, 2002 02:33 AM

Yo tambien! Really great. Where/when can we see it?

Ken Tanaka February 16th, 2002 10:55 AM

Films Shot on Video

"Terrence" posted this interesting link over at the DV.com "cameras" forum.

http://www.nextwavefilms.com/ulbp/bullfront.html

***angel February 16th, 2002 07:54 PM

paganini blues is now in postproduction, maybe in march will be finished.

Ken Tanaka February 19th, 2002 10:27 AM

Yahoo: Ethan Hawke Goes Digital

Article from the Feb, 2002 NY DV Show:

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=794&u=/eo/20020218/en_movies_eo/ethan_hawke_goes_digital

Henry Czuprinski March 3rd, 2002 11:06 AM

Canadian GL1 feature- gonna love this one+

Check out www.findingelectra.com
This guy really knows what he's doing. Terrific look and acting with no budget. Don't miss it.
Well I think it is!

Rob Lohman March 4th, 2002 02:51 AM

Looks interesting! Thanks!

Chris Hurd March 4th, 2002 09:10 AM

Excellent! Thanks very much for the link.

Orca8888 March 4th, 2002 09:22 PM

To PAL or not to PAL

Hey guys!

So here's the story. I'm a frustrated screenwriter that's tired of waiting for stuff to happen with studios. I have always wanted to direct and I have a few full length features and a few shorts that I want to shoot. I was thinking about shooting the shorts in NTSC with my 'lil GL1 and maybe shooting my features with a PAL XL1s.

Now here's my question, since money is a huge consideration, is PAL really something I should shoot for? It means I'm going to have to get another four grand or so together to get my first feature lenght off the ground. My other option is to shoot my feature with the Sony and the GL1 in NTSC and just take my chances in post.

Am I just looking for major trouble in post if I go with the latter or what?

(I'm thinking about eventually transferring to 35mm, but currently, it's cheaper to FilmLook the whole thing and project digitally.)

Thanks in advance!

Ken Tanaka March 4th, 2002 11:21 PM

If you use the Search function I'm sure you'll find quite a few threads dealing with this subject; it comes up at least once every few months. In fact I think we just had one of those lengthy discussions at:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1024

In my opinion, shooting PAL (in North America) to get close to 24p is an entirely unneccesary and expensive hassle. I'd recommend spending your energy and capital on lighting your scenes carefully, on planning your shots and scenes extremely carefully, on getting committed talent and, most of all, getting a very good story to tell.

Rhett Allen March 10th, 2002 05:10 PM

I agree with Ken. Save your money. Or better yet, find out who is going to transfer the video to film and ask what they recommend. There is a good article in "RES" magazine this month that talks about this exactily. They have listings of transfer houses and what they charge and what formats they like and so on. They all do NTSC and PAL and some prefer NTSC. Be prepared for the average $400.00 per minute charge and ask them what they like best. Different houses like different things so you would benifit greatly by finding one you like (or fairly close to you) and asking for their recommendations before you buy more equipment. Then you can rent equipment if you need something different or spend the money on post.

Ulrik [fC] March 11th, 2002 04:54 AM

Prediction

hi there,

I just made a new shortfilm with which I try to apply for filmschool in Germany.

The task was to make a 5 min short about some "confrontation" - no dialogue were allowed.

the version which is online is about 7 min long and a little different from the original one, but anyway I like to hear your thoughts about it.

the direct link: http://www.neo-modus.com/stuntpeople/flatcoin/prediction_dirscut.avi

it is about 20MB and compressed with Divx411.

a long making of articel you'll find at my page.. guess you just have to click the homepage butten at the button, but anyway: http://www.flatcoin.com .. there read in the "Prediction" section.

thanks for all your thoughts, bye and have a nice day :)

Ulrik

Rob Lohman March 11th, 2002 08:04 AM

Hey there Ulrik!

It was a nice movie to watch, very well done. I especially
like the touch when he lit the fire! One thing I did not quite
follow was the guy out in the field.... It was not clear to
me who he was or what he was doing there. I think the
story was pretty well! Thanks for sharing.

Oh... perhaps I didn't follow it as well as I could have,
I am at work currently with some things on my mind...

Good luck!

Ulrik [fC] March 15th, 2002 09:06 AM

thanks .. the guy in the field was the death himself :)

Ulrik

Chris Ward March 15th, 2002 09:24 AM

DV Screening

My critically acclaimed documentary "Outwitting Hitler" will be screened at the Holocaust museum in Washington on April 1st & 2nd. For more information, including a clip from the film, go to www.ushmm.org and click on 'spring 2002 film series' I will be introducing the film and answering questions afterwards.

Rob Lohman March 15th, 2002 09:51 AM

Gonna check it out Chris! Oh.. the direct URL to your page is:
http://www.ushmm.org/museum/publicprograms/programs/films02/outwitting.htm

Chris Hurd March 15th, 2002 11:29 AM

Just as an FYI, Chris Ward's docu was shot with a Canon XL1, GL1 and also a Sony PD150, and aired nationwide on Showtime last April. It's a powerful piece, and worthy of being made into a feature film, in my opinion. Be sure to check it out!

Chris Hurd March 15th, 2002 11:33 AM

CBS 9/11 docu from 11 March 2002

Just curious how many of you saw this last Sunday:

http://www.cbs.com/primetime/9_11/project.shtml

I time-shifted it to VHS but haven't seen it yet. By all reports it's a stunning piece of work. Shot on a pair of Sony PD150's. I'm waiting for a quiet time next week when I can sit down and watch it.