My new trailer - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Old December 5th, 2004, 06:45 PM   #31
Major Player

http://www.camcorderinfo.com/content...creen_mode.htm

check this site out for more info about letterboxing and things. You can betetr record in 4:3 and do the thing in post. Just keep in mind when filming that you will loose the upper and lower part of your image. Just check the viewfinder of your cam or set it in the menu. It's the best and simplest solution.

The trailer looks all right. But I can see in some scenes the slowness and VHS-style camera handling. In the scene the man tries to hit the other man, that action is way to slow. And I miss lots of audio effects in the movie. WHy not include them in the trailer as well. That will improve and atrracts the audience. A background music is not enough for action movies. And well, I don't see any original in the movie that catches my interest reallyt. It looks like all the rest action movies. Some fighting scenes look promising. TRy to add some film effects to it (hue, colour, black/white gradients etc) in adobe premier or vegas.

peace
Jose di Cani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2004, 11:50 PM   #32
Major Player

I got a good laugh at that IGN Board; very obvious they must be 12 or 13.

This trailer looks supercool (I had laready caught this over at dvxuser.com). My first impression was revenge as well. Very impressive compositions and editing. With a GL1 no less. This only serves to say "Its the man behind the camera.....". Still, get this man an XL2 or DVX100!

Very nice job.

My only .02 is to possibly insert other action scenes along with the 'forest' scenes. It seems there were alot of those clips and maybe some other 'looks' will give it an even greater scope. The music I felt could be more cinematic (I know; what does that mean; its subjective anyway).

Otherwise. Bravo! Very inspiring!
John Hudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2004, 08:19 AM   #33
Regular Crew

Really enjoyed the trailer, looked great from an XM1.
Sounded like the people from IGN were the nerdy mtv kids that would just follow everyone if something sounded cool.
You can't really take much constructive points from that younger generation from that board but I think it is important to listen to kids / teenagers. Just finishing school myself last year, I am now studying film at Uni and I appreciate all types of cinema however just wiping these negative comments off because they are kids is not wise. Children/Teenagers are at the cinemas a heap and are a major source of filmmakers income, mainly hollywood. The problem was people of that age expect hollywood effects because that is what they are used to when they go see a movie at there local cinema. They are not film buffs they just want to go see the latest movie that is advertised. So please don't take any notice of those negative comments and please don't think negative of all young people's opinions.
A bit off track.. but I feel the point needed to be made and I was amazed at the XM1's capabilities when used at it's full potential.
Steve Tapping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2004, 10:19 AM   #34
Inner Circle

<<<-- Originally posted by Andrew Grix : Wow Simon, I am highly impressed.

I never would have guessed that was shot with a GL2.
Magic Bullet and good lighting work wonders.

That is some of the best film-like video I've seen done with the GL2. You pushed that to the max.

I think it looks great and I would love to see what you could do w/ an XL2 or DVX-100a and a P+S Technik Mini35 adapter. -->>>

Andrew: He shot it not with the GL2 but with the GL1! Yep, even more impressive :-p
Mathieu Ghekiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2004, 02:06 PM   #35
New Boot

<<<-- Originally posted by Mathieu Ghekiere : <<<-- Originally posted by Andrew Grix : Wow Simon, I am highly impressed.

I never would have guessed that was shot with a GL2.
Magic Bullet and good lighting work wonders.

That is some of the best film-like video I've seen done with the GL2. You pushed that to the max.

I think it looks great and I would love to see what you could do w/ an XL2 or DVX-100a and a P+S Technik Mini35 adapter. -->>>

Andrew: He shot it not with the GL2 but with the GL1! Yep, even more impressive :-p -->>>

OOPS. My mistake. Even more credit to Simon.
Andrew Grix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2004, 12:40 PM   #36
Trustee

Thanks once again guys!

Often it does boil down to what you can do to work around the limitations of the camera.

Now if only the finance people would hurry up and give me my loan for the 2/3" camera!
Simon Wyndham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2004, 07:42 AM   #37
New Boot

How do you retain so much quality yet keep the file size so small?
Ashton Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2004, 05:54 PM   #38
Tourist

Hi Simon,

Great work using an XM1! I’m currently in pre-production stages for a film that I intend to shoot in India next October. I’ll be using an XL2 with ps technik 35mm adapter. Your trailer suggests that dv, with correct tweaking, can certainly achieve a film look. Somehow this look is stronger in the outdoor scenes (particularly the forest) than it is in indoors. But that seems to be common to dv shoots, albeit a generalisation.

Good stuff! Do post when you sell your film.

cheers
Sameer
Sameer Puri is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work