Undead Nation Test at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Old January 11th, 2005, 01:46 PM   #1
Major Player

Undead Nation Test

The folllowing is part coneptual/video and part scene. The scene is in the middle. We are prepping for an episodic tale of the dead; prepping as in learning and figuring out what we want to do. Hope you enjoy.

DVX100 24pa
Veags 4

Right Click and Save as Please

http://outlandpictures.com/movies/UDTEST.mov
John Hudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2005, 02:35 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Impressing in MANY ways.
Good lightning and camera works and the shot where the zombie tries to break into the house, really gave me a schock...NICE!
I would really love to see the final result...good luck and keep up the good work...It is inspirering...
Christian Hede Madsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2005, 03:31 PM   #3
Major Player

Very nice.
I especially liked the wall of child related pictures and drawings. As a zombie fan I think the most touching moment in 28 Days After is when the main character comes upon all the posted notes in the sqaure. Among them is a child's drawing of their parent's. Thinking about a small child lost in a world of flesh eating zombies is pretty chilling- especialy if you're a parent.

One suggestion: The news reports in the backround are cool and all, but they are also a zombie movie cliche. I'd come up with some other way of conveying this information to the viewer...
maybe a voice over diary entry, or a wall of newspaper clippings, or just a few headlines on discarded newspapers... ect...

BTW, I think making a bunch of shorts is an ideal way to learn how to make a movie, in fact I'm doing the same thing...

Good luck!

P.S. If you need any help with the screenplay/story, shoot me an email. I love Zombies that much.
" When some wild-eyed, eight foot tall maniac grabs your neck, taps the back of your favorite head against a bar room wall, and looks you crooked in the eye, and he asks you if you've payed your dues, well, you just stare that big suker right back in the eye, and you remember what old Jack Burton always says at a time like that, 'Have you paid your dues, Jack? Yes sir, the check is in the mail."
Michael Gibbons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2005, 03:41 PM   #4
Major Player

Thanks guys.

We are doing a bunch of these little ones before we offically embark on the seriousness. These little shorts are part concpet/part design/part cutting our teeth (as in making a better brain splatter :P )

Thanks for the feedback.
Old January 16th, 2005, 04:47 AM   #5
Major Player

Downloading it now! Speaking of brain matter, thought you might like to see this brief but informative thread on special effects vendors. I wasn't sure where to go and the DVInfo community came through. The Dawn of the Dead DVD has some great behind the scenes footage on exploding heads, makeup, etc, but I'm sure you already checked those out. Excellent DVD.
Christopher Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2005, 02:56 PM   #6
Major Player

Thanks for the thread link; we need some of this!
Old January 16th, 2005, 08:23 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Great work

Loved the short! I am impressed, looks very good. There is a website I am from that is doing what you guys just did here! There are projects for shorts posted and people make them for practice or for fun or whatever, and then you upload them, talk about them, leave feedback and then vote for the best and it gets archived! Its http://www.filmforall.com. Join up if you want. Back to the short though, when you expand it to feature (?) or make another short I hope you add more make up to the zombies! He looked human and alive rather than decaying and several days/weeks dead. All in all I'm very impressed - I keep watching it over and over again.
Mitchell Stookey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2005, 11:01 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Very nice work
Kyle Kauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2005, 05:58 PM   #9
Major Player

I too enjoyed this. You are going to 'zombie' them up in the final movie right?

Good work. Nice lighting and overall coloration.
Old January 17th, 2005, 09:03 PM   #10
Major Player

Tks guys. I promise; they will be rotting when we shoot!
Old January 18th, 2005, 12:26 AM   #11
Regular Crew

Can't wait

Excellent! So will it be another short then or feature?
Mitchell Stookey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2005, 12:47 AM   #12
Major Player

We are cutting a few small shorts; more scenes/techniques/concept/style/make-up until we feel we nail it. Then, it's onto the Undead Nation. I'm hoping to go into legitimate production by late spring - early summer.
Old January 19th, 2005, 08:34 PM   #13
Wrangler

Nice stuff John! Hope to see more.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work