Short Film I Shot on XL2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Old February 8th, 2005, 01:22 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Short Film I Shot on XL2

I don't know how great an example this will be, because I had to post the movie at a fairly low-resolution for my website.

However, I was still impressed with how the camera perfromed, especially because we're total amateurs. We had no extra lighting, and many of the scene's audio was recorded on the on-camera mic.

Give it a look if you're interested...

http://www.cowboyandjohn.com/media.php

(it's the file called, "Gemberling") There are a few swears in it, so it may not be appropriate for watching at work.

-Curtis

ps - yes, I love Tron.
Old February 8th, 2005, 03:38 PM   #2
Trustee

Curtis,
That was cool. Did you use a dolly in the opening senes ( in the office)?
Nice work.
Bruce yarock
Bruce S. Yarock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2005, 04:26 PM   #3
Major Player

Awesome Video. Very well done!

Good story and its one of the first ametuer productions I've actually found funny. The writing was superb. I am unsure about the abrupt ending though.

Everything from the sequencing to the acting was well executed. It easily maintained my attention.

Congratulations on the entire project.
Old February 8th, 2005, 07:41 PM   #4
Trustee

Brilliant Curtis! Are you working on the next episode?

Loved the Dr. Who theme music too, as I haven't heard it for many years (moved to Singapore in 1991).

Richard
Richard Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2005, 12:42 AM   #5
Regular Crew

!

Thanks for the compliments guys, I appreciate it.

Bruce - We actually didn't have a dolly, we found a mail-cart in the office where we filmed and rigged it up...but it turned out ok..if a little bouncy. haha

Brandon - That is high praise man, thanks. I know that ending was abrubt, I wish we could have done it better, but we submitted this short to a festival that had a 5 minute time limit, and we didn't have time to re-write for pacing. Next time we'll think more ahead.

Richard - Glad someone caught the Dr. Who music! One of my favortie sci-fi shows of all time. Couldn't resist paying homage to it. And yes, we're working on a second episode which will hit our site at the end of February!

Thanks again for the kind words guys.

The XL2 has really been a great camera for us so far. I can't reccomend it more highly.

-Curtis
Old February 9th, 2005, 07:34 AM   #6
Wrangler

Hi Curtis,

Agree that since the bit rate is kind of low, it is really more your talent that is on showcase rather than the XL2. So we moved your post over to "DV for the Masses" -- that should get your work a bit more viewing than the XL2 area.

Thanks for sharing your most excellent work!
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2005, 09:38 AM   #7
Wrangler

Dude!

FORGET GEMBERLING.

DOC AND CHAINS is the funniest zombie video I've seen since Shaun Of The Dead!

http://www.cowboyandjohn.com/images/DocChains.mov

Gemberling was good too though.
Old February 9th, 2005, 10:17 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Excellent work

Really funny stuff, and not just funny but good too. You should enter your works to http://www.channel101.com. If you don't know about it, it's like a fake tv station, and people make shows and they are pilots, and the audience votes and with enough votes you get to become a show and keep making episodes as long as you keep getting votes! Both of those would make it because they are hilarious! I'd vote for sure. Regardless can't wait to see what's next. Great job
Mitchell Stookey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2005, 10:18 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Pete - Sorry about that man, I should have looked for a more appropriate forum. Thanks for moving it, I'm glad you liked Gemberling!

Dylan - HA! Glad you took the time to check out D&C too. We performed Doc & Chains as a stage show here in NYC, and believe it or not, it was bought by a network for development! The chances of it ever going to air are pretty slim, but it was exciting for us anyway.

Mitchel - Yeah! We love Channel 101. We haven't submitted there, but a sister station has opened up in NYC called (naturally) Channel 102 (at www.channel102.net ). We submitted Gemberling there, and we tied for 2nd place. So we're firing up another episode for March. Thanks for checking out the show.

Word up.
Old February 10th, 2005, 05:12 PM   #10
Regular Crew

COol

Hey Curtis wasn't one of the actors a pretty wide spread commercial actor I definitely recognize him from the Loew's inconsiderate cell phone man bits.

NICE.
Dmitry Yun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2005, 06:29 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Hey Dmitry:

Yeah! That's Rob Huebel, a good friend and VERY funny actor. He's had the hot hand with commercials this past year, starring in Kinko's/Fedex, Loew's Inconsiderate Cell-Phone Guy, and NetZero "Candidate Zero" ads (and a few more I'm forgetting).

We have more cool cameos coming next month, so check our show again!

Thanks for watching it.

-Curtis
Old February 12th, 2005, 02:47 PM   #12
Wrangler

Ohhhh man... I had to go back and watch Doc And Chains again..... snifff.... I start laughing at the lyric "the way the dead stayed dead... those were the days..." and don't stop until the end.

This might be my new favorite DVinfo video of all time.
Old February 13th, 2005, 03:40 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Whoa! Dylan, thanks man, that's very cool of you to say.

You'll notice that Chains, like the Fonz, is a cross show super-star (the Fonze could be seen in Happy Days, Laverne & Shirley and Joanie Loves Chachie). Not only does he co-star in Doc & Chains, but he's the bounty hunter who hunts Gemberling across the Internet.

Also, Doc is Gemberling's father.

What a tangled web we weave.

-C
Old February 13th, 2005, 07:11 PM   #14
Wrangler

Sigh...

Can you just email me an MP3 of the theme song to put in my playlist? It'll save you lots of bandwidth.

I can't get it out of my head.
Old March 22nd, 2005, 09:06 PM   #15
New Boot

Those are some really good shorts. Not much to complain about...humor was right up my alley

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work