Hoooly Moly!! Yay! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Old March 12th, 2005, 03:24 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Hoooly Moly!! Yay!

ok probably only a few people on this forum knew about this-

but there was a yellowcard music video contest, and i shared it here to ask for comments (and maybe votes), and another thread asking of what people thought of my cheap 1st- time steadicam work.

anywyas.... results came in.....

I WON FIRST PLACE OUT OF 156 ENTRIES!! =)

LOOOK! =)

http://www.ifilm.com/promo/yellowcard

so for the handful of those that supported me and gave me comments and stuff- thank you very much =)

-arthur
Old March 12th, 2005, 11:15 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Congrats man!

I have been pretty interested in this little contest. A couple people have posted about it on here.

I really enjoyed your video, at first I was skeptical. By the end of it, I was won over.

I loved the effect of the camera coming out of the front seat going out the back window. How did you accomplish that? Morphing?

Once again, congrats man!

What are you going to do with that 5 Grand?
Travis Maynard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2005, 11:18 PM   #3
Regular Crew

=)

haha, people go nuts when i explain the simplicity of it.

car is stationary...... (off actually)..... camera man sitting in the back, HOLDING the xl1s at the shifter...... when i shift..... he accelerates the camera backwards (with his hands)..... took many takes to get it straight..... then

do a shot outside with the xl1s on a crane..... put the camera hood RIGHT on the back windshield...... so its mostly black but you can kinda see in.

start the car...... drive off as the crane moves up...

on computer..... the most basic....... cross fade =)

-arthur
Old March 13th, 2005, 12:28 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Great Job! I really like the video.
Thx,
Eric
Eric James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2005, 01:11 AM   #5
Regular Crew

thanks =)
Old March 13th, 2005, 01:43 PM   #6
Major Player

WOW!! Congrats!!! I voted for you if you remember correctly, and justly, you won! You really did a fantastic job and should be very proud of your accomplishment!!

Keep it up!
Rhett Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2005, 10:38 AM   #7
Major Player

great music by the way which was awesome (very melancolic). Some nice slo motion scenes as well. Which cam did you use and what lighting techniques did you use? Some scenes were a liitle bit video-likish, but that is just cool.
Jose di Cani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2005, 01:22 PM   #8
Regular Crew

um

i took my xl1s off frame mode and into 29.97 because i was going to do a 29.97 => 24p conversion (easy, its a simulation). but i ran out of time, so some shots ended up still being 29.97 (yuck)

i had NO budget... so i bought 20 dollar hardare lights for the hallway lighting scenes, and the colored lights for the concert was my church's stage lights that they let us borrow.

heres some fun things to look for in the video or just neat facts to share and know =)

-if i held the mic with my hand, i was covering my mouth cuz i forgot the words.
-my electric guitarist's shirt says "greencard" (cuz we're all asian, lol)
-singer and main guy = same person, just hair cut (99% of people caught that)
-for some of the crane shots, one band member was missing (he was operating the crane cuz our operator had to go) lol.
-the day before shooting the car scenes, i got hit by a hit&run, so in one shot (where i pull up to the school, notice the huge dent on my driver door)
-i was also gonna add a "Fanblade on the ceiling" but i couldnt find one (thank goodness!!)
-in the beginning, one of the shots was overlooked in post production, and you can see that theres no one out in the crowd area...
-im wearing a david crowder shirt
-it says noel on the wall of the concert area (Shot it at church, couldnt take down all christmas decorations)
-part of it shot at Leal elementary, i grew up there *tear* smile.gif
-you'll notice i yank my head back away from the mic and shoot my head back towards it to sing several times... during shooting, i banged my teeth into the mic 7 times, 2 of those times knocking it over... so usually when you see that "rocker" motion, the shot gets cut immediately after. hahaha
- there is a short shot of my prelude driving towards the camera, look at the top of the screen, there seems to be a set of black... buck teeth..... thats because the trunk of the SUV was left open to shoot this shot.... the trunk shut on us 2 times - hahaha
-when i put up the "Daycare Room 23" sign..... many parents and teachers looked at me like "What the freak?" lol
- JUST after you hear ryan key shout "GET UP" notice a shot, after my electric player jumps off his amp, you can see the other camera in the background, its large and CLEAR, but the shot is short, so its easy to miss
- everyone in the video is 17..... the girl is 16..... the bass player is 30, lol. but u cant tell tongue.gif well.... im 18 now =) (march 2nd)
- in the very beginning, after the intro, i JUMP.... the shot after that, the lights that we used (and the colored gels on the lights) were EVER SO CLEARLY shown..... but few people noticed that as an error, but thot it to be deliberate laugh.gif
- i was using some ghetto crap fender squier that was probably 80 bucks from sam ash (just used whatever i found in the sound room, personally only own an acoustic electric- i have an electric guitarist wink.gif
-im not wearing a watch, im wearing a instrument cable velcro tie-down. hahaha
-any side shot that showed speakers.. most obvious one was at the beginning "Even though you're next to me i still feel so i alone....." right at the word "Alone" it changes to a sideshot, notice the way the speakers are pointed (lol, some concert huh?) (we just needed to keep tempo synch with the CD)
-im left handed
- the "Crowd' in the video was from 2001, when david crowder came to play at my church, i filmed the concert.- haha.
-hallway shot...... where i look down and *sigh*, the background is a bunch of lambs taped onto the wall- hahah
-the electric violin used is the same one yellowcard has.
-the trick shot from the shifter "through" The back windshield (cool but short and quick), took a full day to get properly.

do YOU guys catch anything else? =)

-arthur
Old March 14th, 2005, 03:04 PM   #9
New Boot

hey bro,

nice video, congrats btw. I watched the others and there were all good. I like how u guys actually had someone playing a electric violin.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work