DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Show Your Work (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/show-your-work/)
-   -   Pimp my Ride Parody (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/show-your-work/41071-pimp-my-ride-parody.html)

Corey Sturmer March 13th, 2005 10:11 PM

Pimp my Ride Parody

I don't know who has even seen this show on this board, but I made this with my friends last summer. I've been trying to send it into MTV, but have had the damndest time getting MTV contact information.

<url>http://student.uncw.edu/cms5751/PimpMyRide.WMV</url>

James Emory March 16th, 2005 09:30 AM

I am curious as to what your goal is by showing MTV this parody. Can you give some reason why you want to do this?

Most of the networks don't have a number for just anyone to call and speak to a specific department or individual at least at their operations division. They may have a line for viewer comments but that would be more for viewer relations and that may be an outsourced company with no internal info about the network. There are many reasons for this and one main one is that they would get flooded with show ideas and other unwanted solicitations. I tried to reach someone at E! Network and couldn't even get them to transfer me anywhere unless I had a specific name. They don't have extension numbers or name directories available in a menu or on their website. I guess the reasoning behind this is that if you don't have a contact with someone already, then you don't have any business calling. They just won't do it. So, I finally asked to speak to someone in the news department and I got transferred because that department is dependent on incoming calls for news info. Once I got there, I talked to a real person and they got me where I needed to go. You could also make up a common name like Smith and hope that someone with that name works there and they would transfer you to them and then they could get you where you need to go. You might want to try these methods with MTV. Ask for their news department as if you had a tip and see where it gets you. If you do get to talk to an inside person, don't get all excited, keep it to the point and be really nice making sure to thank them for giving you any information because they don't have to do it. Maybe they can also give you some insight as to how the system works. Good luck.

Corey Sturmer March 16th, 2005 09:51 AM

Honestly, I wanted to get it into MTV just to keep me from regretting not sending it in, or rather, attempting to send it in. I know that MTV would definitely get a lot of teeny kids calling in and asking them stupid questions...But I couldn't find so much as even a comment box on their website. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong places. I know that the chances of them ever playing it, or even replying to me or slim...But I thought the least I could gain from it was the satisfaction of knowing that they saw it, and if I did indeed get a reply or some sort of interest that I could maybe get a 'contact' in the industry. Fat chance, I know...But I just wanted to get it in.

Anyways, any other comments about the film?

James Emory March 16th, 2005 10:05 AM

I thought the thing was very funny. Number one, it is way too long and number two, MTV does not produce that show. But knowing what I know from working on shows and talking with producers, the networks have a select few that they deal with. I'm not going to say they would never consider it because anything is possible. Nothing against you at all, but you really have to ask yourself, why would they use it? You must be able to take yourself and personal interest out of the mix and really ask, why would THEY want to use it. Forget trying to go through the website. You need to use the phone book or the on-line phone directory. Oh, I just found it under MTV in an on-line phone directory. Call that number and try the method above. Ask to speak to someone in programming. You have a good eye and direction and need to start thinking about and developing your own ideas.

Relative Thread
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...threadid=39291

Corey Sturmer March 16th, 2005 11:10 AM

Way too long? I thought it was perfect length, if anything a little too short in keeping similarity with the show. We took a lot of things into consideration when making this, and the general formula that the actual show follows was one of them. Which is, Introduction from Xzibit, Introduction of car owner, Xzibit meets car owner, Xzibit takes the car, car gets fixed up, xzibit presents car, owner drives off and shows it to his friends (but we cut that part out)...

Why would they use it? Hell I dunno...I am 99% positive they wouldn't ever play the whole thing, but if anything they might show some clips of it in their little news breaks and say keep up the good work fellas....I dunno...It really doesn't matter, I just wanted them to see it to give me the peace of mind. Kinda like "Well, they mighta shown some of it if only I had sent it in!" Then I would never know.

Can you link me to that online phone directory?

Luis Caffesse March 16th, 2005 11:29 AM

"if anything a little too short in keeping similarity with the show"

In general parodies are much shorter than the original. I have to agree that 20 minutes is definitely pushing it on length in my opinion.

By the way, I don't want to post people's phone numbers on here, but a quick search online got me numerous phone numbers and addresses for MTV Network contacts.

If you're intent on finding someone to contact, try doing a search for "MTV networks" or "contact mtv networks."
It shouldn't take you long to find an address or phone number.

James Emory March 16th, 2005 11:43 AM

Corey, the actual running time of your content is about 3 minutes short of a typical 30 minute show without breaks. So you did good getting it to time out that close. My question now is why would they want the whole thing? You're on the same track as what I was thinking about possibly using short bytes of it for bumps or filler in programming, it at all. I'm trying to tell you though, that I work with these types of shows quite a bit and I know how the game is played, MTV in particular (Room Raiders). I talk to producers and pick up on how things work. One way that I have learned to move forward in this business is to do alot of listening instead of alot of telling. You might want to contact the actual producer of the show and let them know about your parody. Just look at the credits and find out who produces it. They will be the one's with all the pull with MTV, not you.

Corey Sturmer March 16th, 2005 11:51 AM

So, should I get the producers name, then look up their number? I called Viacom, and I asked to speak to someone who deals with the show Pimp My Ride, and they gave me number...But I have not yet called it yet.

James, I don't really know why they would want it, or if they would ever do anything with it. The fact is, chances are they really don't have any use for it...But there is no harm in talking to them and sending it in...If I make a producer laugh and he's the only one who sees it, hey...It's at least somewhat of a success.

James Emory March 16th, 2005 11:56 AM

You just kill me Corey but in a good way. I used to be just like you thinking that everything worked in a logical way. Welcome to the entertainment industry where things ain't what they seem not only on the screen. If it's just to satisfy you that someone saw it, then whatever! The producer/production company owns the rights to the show so they are the one's who will have to clear it anyway. Call the actual producer/production company for the show!

Corey Sturmer March 16th, 2005 12:54 PM

Hey man, can't hurt! I'm down here at UNC Wilmington where there's lots of productions going on and movies being made...Hopefully I'll learn some of the quirks of the industry as I go through my film studies program.

John Hudson March 16th, 2005 03:20 PM

I am perplexed of the 'ration of...' given to this kid regarding the parody and goal of sending this to MTV. Why would they play it? I don't know. Why wouldn't they? I don't know.

And giving out a number for MTV isn't a big conspiracy; it's not the CEO's personal cell phone number.

Try this:

MTV Networks
1515 Broadway
New York, NY 10036 (Map)
Phone: 212-258-8000
Fax: 212-258-6175

Corey Sturmer March 16th, 2005 04:16 PM

Thanks John, I already called them...They gave me the number that they said was to get into contact with someone who works with Pimp My Ride.

Sherwin Noorian March 16th, 2005 07:18 PM

Why would MTV want that? Seriously, just kind of think about it. They don't have a sketch show like SNL they could fit it in. I don't think MTV just airs random single episodes some people send them. Not trying to be too negative, but being realistic here.

Corey Sturmer March 16th, 2005 07:39 PM

I've thought about it, as many other people here have told me to. And, I don't really care. I've thought about contacting Comedy Central too. Doesn't have to make sense, man. Greatest form of flattery is imitation. We can leave it at that, yeah?

Pay them a compliment.

Edit**

Oh, and how about some comments about the movie? This is a thread in the board of showcasing work. The MTV thing is already solved, so if saying anything, could we leave it to the movie?

Brandon Greenlee March 16th, 2005 08:46 PM

Lots of apparent forethought and very good editing.

Try replacing the music with just the instramental versions like MTV does. It will make it less distracting while people are talking.

Obviously alot of work went into this, although I'm sorry to say it wasn't very funny. Alot of these bling jokes have been cracked hundreds of times before. Your host is the only one that I found mildly humerous. I usually find most things like this funny. However your video wasn't much more funny than actually just sitting down and watching the original show.

Also, as a side note. Kinda cracking on gays no matter how lightly will not get you far in the MTV world.

However, it seems you have some talent designing longer productions like this. Keep up the work. You have to keep making as many videos as you can and learn from whatever you do.

Good Luck!