DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Show Your Work (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/show-your-work/)
-   -   American Idle (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/show-your-work/41382-american-idle.html)

CJ Roy March 18th, 2005 02:38 PM

American Idle

Hey everyone,

Here's a new mock PSA that we created:

www.arkhamfilms.com/americanidle.html

Let me know what you think. Thanks.

Tech specs: DVX100, FCP 4.5, DFT 55mm, After Effects 6.5

-CJ
www.arkhamfilms.com

John Sandel March 18th, 2005 09:08 PM

Love that UPC symbol on the wall.

Brandon Greenlee March 18th, 2005 09:43 PM

Very well done.

Perfect lighting, composition, ect.

You must have some good talent in your company.

Peter Wiley March 19th, 2005 08:08 AM

I liked this. Production values are very good.

Watching it got me to thinking about PSAs that will never get aired, like the following one produced for the UN which many have found disturbing. CNN and other broadcasters have refused to run it.

http://www.brooklynbrothers.com/movies/un60.mov

I think what you did compares very favorably with the production values in the UN spot.

Chris Ivanovskis March 19th, 2005 01:24 PM

holy sweet mother of god that UN spot was sooo awesome. nothing beats little girls blowing up in a soccer game.

CJ i liked yours as well. the lighting and composition was amazing.

Imran Zaidi March 19th, 2005 01:40 PM

Both those spots are great!

CJ, was the bullet wound entirely computer generated?

CJ Roy March 19th, 2005 02:37 PM

Hey everyone, thanks so much. I'm glad you liked it.

<<<-- Originally posted by John Sandel : Love that UPC symbol on the wall. -->>>

Our production designer/art director Ted Stritoff came up with that. A perfect addition to the consumer whore motif we were shooting for.

<<<-- Originally posted by Brandon Greenlee : Very well done. Perfect lighting, composition, ect. You must have some good talent in your company. -->>>

We have a great team and we love doing this. Unfortunately, we don't shoot nearly as much as we'd like.

<<<-- Originally posted by Peter Wiley : I think what you did compares very favorably with the production values in the UN spot. -->>>

Wow, thanks Peter. That UN spot is amazing. I guess there's definitely an audience for rejected PSA's.
Thanks again.

<<<-- Originally posted by Imran Zaidi : Both those spots are great!

CJ, was the bullet wound entirely computer generated? -->>>

Hi Imran. Yes, the bullet wound/hole & blood splatter were entirely computer generated. I painted the wound in photoshop, then added it to the shot in After Effects, with the motion tracking feature.
Some of the other effects were done in FCP.

Thanks again everyone! We should have about 6 more coming out in the next 3 months.

-CJ Roy
www.arkhamfilms.com

Rob Lohman March 20th, 2005 05:39 AM

Nice work indeed!

David Eggerichs March 21st, 2005 03:47 PM

DFT 55mm

I am interested in your opinion on the 55mm filters from DFT. Do you think they are worth the cost?

Any info would be great. What can be done that AE can't do? FCP can't do?

I'm sure a lot.

Thanks,

David

CJ Roy March 21st, 2005 04:21 PM

Re: DFT 55mm

<<<-- Originally posted by David Doogood : I am interested in your opinion on the 55mm filters from DFT. Do you think they are worth the cost?
Any info would be great. -->>>

Hi David,

I love the DFT filters. A producer had purchased them for me, while editing a music video. At that time Magic Bullet was strictly After Effects, and it wasn't cost effective to keep going to AE for every shot. We needed an FCP solution.

I absolutely think they're worth the cost. They're amazingly easy to use for the quality you receive. I use them on every project I do.

<<<-- Originally posted by David Doogood : What can be done that AE can't do? FCP can't do?
-->>>

I'm not sure I understand the question. AE is a compositing / motion graphics program. FCP is an NLE which can do a lot, that AE can do. Sometimes it's easier & quicker to do a shot in FCP, merely because you don't have to export/import footage and deal with two different apps.

I'm sure that didn't answer your question, but if you want to ask anything else, please feel free.

Thanks.

-CJ Roy
www.arkhamfilms.com

David Eggerichs March 21st, 2005 04:45 PM

Thanks,

That is great information to have. You answered my questions perfectly sorry I wasn't more direct.

I currently edit in fcp4 and don't have after effects. I do work with a buddy of mine who uses after effects so I am no very knowledgeable when it come to AE. I hope to be soon.

I think one of the best features of AE is the motion tracking. FCP is simply a great NLE system.

What I 'm wondering is when it comes to filters what would you say DFT offers that you simply could not come close to through manipulation in FCP or AE? Or could you achieve the same results but simply with more work in one application then the other? Confused? I hope not.

Also can you drop in DFT filters right into the sequence or do you have to export to apply the filter? I think you might have answered that.

Thanks,

David

CJ Roy March 21st, 2005 05:15 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by David Doogood : Thanks,
I think one of the best features of AE is the motion tracking. FCP is simply a great NLE system. -->>>

I agree completely. For this spot, the motion tracking in AE really saved my ass. I had never done motion tracking before, and am a complete novice to visual effects & animation. Within an hour of first using it, I had a finished shot. Simply great stuff.

<<<-- Originally posted by David Doogood : What I 'm wondering is when it comes to filters what would you say DFT offers that you simply could not come close to through manipulation in FCP or AE? Or could you achieve the same results but simply with more work in one application then the other? Also can you drop in DFT filters right into the sequence or do you have to export to apply the filter? I think you might have answered that. -->>>

I see the confusion now. DFT 55mm is a plugin set that works in FCP, AE & Photoshop. In FCP, you simply drop the filter to any clip or sequence and it shows as a regular filter which is totally customizable. No need to go to a different application. That's definitely an attractive asset of DFT, to be able to use it in my native NLE, for me.

However, I do use a combination of the Color Correction tools in FCP, then use the different looks from 55mm. My favorites are the Bleach Bypass and Center Spot. Also the color grading is great too.

Hope that helps.

Thanks again, David.

-CJ Roy
www.arkhamfilms.com

Luis Caffesse March 22nd, 2005 12:10 PM

CJ, great work, good lighting, composition, etc.
Looked really good.

When I get a chance, I'm going to check out the other pieces on your site.

By the way, DTF 55mm are in my 'daily toolbox' of plugins.
I have very few projects where I don't use them.

Fantastic set of tools, I highly recommend them.
Of course, the best way is to try to do what CJ did, and work them into a production cost.

Some guys have all the luck
:)

David Eggerichs March 22nd, 2005 04:02 PM

Thanks for all the input C.J. and Luis...very helpful.

I will most likely go ahead and purchase the plug-ins.

Keep the camera rolling.

David