DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Show Your Work (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/show-your-work/)
-   -   "Leave it to Chance" film premiere - San Luis Obispo, CA (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/show-your-work/42060-leave-chance-film-premiere-san-luis-obispo-ca.html)

Benjamin Kantor March 30th, 2005 02:46 AM

"Leave it to Chance" film premiere - San Luis Obispo, CA

On April 9th, Leave it to Chance premieres at the Performing Arts Center in San Luis Obispo. It's a full length romantic comedy produced by students at Cal Poly university. For more information, visit http://www.leaveittochance.info.

Dave Ferdinand March 30th, 2005 02:08 PM

Nice website. I liked the look you got from the XL1, some of the shots are very filmic indeed.

You're going to sell it on DVD?

Benjamin Kantor March 30th, 2005 02:20 PM

Thanks. It was shot on an XL2, not XL1s, although we did have an XL1s on set for a making-of documentary.

The 'film-look' was contributed to by the XL2's settings, as well as an extensive post-production process that included a ton of corrections for every shot and an HD upconvert.

After the premiere and a festival tour, it will be available on a special edition DVD that will include the film, the documentary, directors commentary, deleted scenes, and hopefully a few other featurettes.

The trailer available right now was the initial teaser trailer. Check back soon, as I believe a brand new trailer will be uploaded sometime today or tomorrow.

Steve Witt March 31st, 2005 01:12 PM

This looks excellent. Were you a videographer on the set? I wish you the best of luck. The trailer was awesome.

Benjamin Kantor March 31st, 2005 01:40 PM

Dave-
Thanks. My duties included Director of Photography and Visual Effects Supervisor. Glad you enjoyed the trailer.

Brandon Greenlee April 5th, 2005 09:05 PM

Looks good. Seems like a pretty clean video.

How long will the final cut be?

Oddly enough it made me think of sixteen candles... I think I'll go watch it now.

Scott Grocott April 6th, 2005 10:35 AM

Looks great!.................I'm in town and I'll be there Fri. night!

best of luck

Scott Grocott

Benjamin Kantor April 6th, 2005 01:43 PM

Scott-

Thanks for the compliments. Actually, the premiere is Saturday night (April 9th) at 7pm. If you do make it, make sure to say hello.

Benjamin Kantor

Basem Elsokary April 7th, 2005 04:28 PM

Looks fun! I'm jealous I'm not still a student at Cal Poly so I could go check that out,...I'll let my brother in law who works at the performing arts center know about in case he hasn't heard about it already...

The one problem with the trailer is that it didn't have any clear shots of SLO!

Jose di Cani April 11th, 2005 06:16 PM

First of all, the end shot of the lift cam was amazing. Some scenes were awesome. There are some thiings which make this trailer amateur. The little camera shake I noticed on the beginning shot in the streets. And I like the way the girls acted. Sounded real to me, but the acting of the boys ...could be better there. I also noticed something with the audio. I could instantly hear, even with my eyes closed, that the audio needed a profesional touch. Try to use more audio effects to get more of a film-like audio. It is not only in the quality of the video...also in the audio. The video was great, but trailer lacked profesional audio editing. Better acting maybe?. How many camera did you use?

Benjamin Kantor April 13th, 2005 07:20 PM

Jose-

I agree that audio was our weak point. However, it is consistent enough that if you're watching the film in a theatre, it isn't distracting or terribly noticeable.

We used a single XL2 in all but one shooting day, where we borrowed a second. An XL1s was on set at all times for making-of footage.

-Benjamin Kantor

Craig Bellaire April 14th, 2005 08:24 AM

pro mist filters

Just wondering if you used any pro mist filters at all... I saw you had these for sale and was wondering how you liked them... By the trailer, I couldn't tell you used any... thanks and nice job

Benjamin Kantor April 14th, 2005 10:26 AM

Craig-

None of the shots in the trailer had pro mist filters. I only used them for certain scenes. Overall, I'd say they're nice, and produce an interesting effect, but it's important to only use them if you have a good reason, and not just for the sake of sticking another piece of glass in front of the lens. That's my experience, anyway.

Thanks,

Benjamin

Craig Bellaire April 14th, 2005 10:39 AM

Cool

Cool thanks

Marco Leavitt April 14th, 2005 11:13 AM

How did you get such a film-like exposure on the exteriors? It was even suggested in another thread that they must have been greenscreened, but I really doubt that. So how did you pull it off? Video normally looks like hell in direct sunlight.