DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Show Your Work (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/show-your-work/)
-   -   Green Screen Test Footage (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/show-your-work/42859-green-screen-test-footage.html)

John Hudson April 12th, 2005 12:58 PM

Green Screen Test Footage

Hi guys/gals

This is my second attempt at using Chroma Key; shot DVX100 24pa/ Edited in Vegas 4. Comments and critiques welcome; I am still learning the techniques of Green Screen and on this test I wanted 'drive by' shadows and lighting.

Thanks for watching!

Right Click and Save As Please

http://outlandpictures.com/movies/GS2QT.mov

Daniel Patton April 12th, 2005 05:24 PM

Not bad at all!! I take it this is your second go around (based off of the title)?

The only rough spot was 19sec - 36sec where the steering wheel was keyed out, but I'm pointing out the obvious. The rest was pretty clean. You had a small amount of green spill, but I was looking for it too, had I not, I might not have noticed. Maybe choke it off around the dog a little more, I’m just nit picking. The dog was a fast little bugger! ;)

Green wall was portable / fabric or painted surface?

What was your method for the change in lighting & shadows during actual shoot? That additional touch helped. ;)

We just finished building our dedicated "green room" at the office. Most of the projects we do in-house (DV) revolve around chromakeying at one time or another. We use Ultra, it works great and gives a fair amount of control over correcting spill, choke, etc..

Joshua Provost April 12th, 2005 05:45 PM

Bonus points for use of an animal! Screw the green screen, the dog had me cracking up.

John Hudson April 12th, 2005 06:08 PM

Thanks guys; everyone is loving the dog; my wifes idea.

It is very affordable (okay cheap) green screen colored fabric from a fabric store; about $30.00 for a roughly 8' X 9' section. In this case; it was literally draped over the Xterra using ambiant light; the sunlight spilling into the cab is natural with 2 white foam cores on the hood bouncing light into my talent (family).

I didn't change much during the actual shoot; the sun was falling into the horizon and over it's arc it takes during the day. I had trouble keying the little dog though; he looks good when tree are behind him but not in bright light (the plate).

Thanks for watching! Damn, 27 views and 2 replies; where's the community guys?

LOL

Travis Maynard April 12th, 2005 07:18 PM

That dog probably got the biggest laugh out of me all day. Great stuff. I was waiting for something like that to happen.

Great shots though. I only noticed a couple spots on the childs head where there was a lot of light spill that had some problems. Otherwise it will very nice footage.

John Hudson April 12th, 2005 09:56 PM

Thanks for the comments and for watching Travis. :)

Alain Aguilar April 13th, 2005 04:11 PM

I really liked the dog climbing in from outside, that was funny! The lighting was really good. It looks like real sunlight.

I want to start playing around with some green screen test myself in a little while. Wish you all the luck with your tests.

Al

Keith Loh April 13th, 2005 04:23 PM

Haha. loved the dog coming in. Sweet.

Have you made any other versions that have better fringe?

John Hudson April 13th, 2005 07:12 PM

Keith

Not yet; still working on it. The backlighting works wonderful when there is a similar plate and a dark edge works wonders when dark; combining the two just creates all kinds of probelms. LOL I'm doing more!

Keith Loh April 13th, 2005 07:33 PM

I think I will try a green screen thing this summer, just wondering about the pitfalls. Thanks for your notes in this thread.

Michael Middleton April 14th, 2005 02:41 PM

No green screen expert, but I'll give it a thumbs up! I may experiment with a little GS, myself.

Michael

Bryan McCullough April 14th, 2005 08:45 PM

I think you need to do more tests with the driver.

And post them here.

Great job, it looked very good. What did you use to key?

John Hudson April 14th, 2005 11:40 PM

LOL

That's be 'me' wife Bryan.