DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Show Your Work (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/show-your-work/)
-   -   Freddy the Precognitive Retard (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/show-your-work/45368-freddy-precognitive-retard.html)

Bryan Harley May 29th, 2005 02:44 PM

Freddy the Precognitive Retard

Here's a short film I made a few weeks ago.

http://www.amfproductions.com/freddy/freddy_big.mov (12mb, 3 mins.)

Comments would be welcomed!

(Hope no one is easily offended! It's supposed to be so over-the-top that you should feel free to laugh)

Jay Gladwell May 29th, 2005 05:38 PM

The title is offensive and prevents me from any having any intrest in watching it.

Jay

Bryan Harley May 29th, 2005 07:49 PM

Oh well, suit yourself.

Brandon Greenlee May 29th, 2005 08:21 PM

Title sounds good. I'll take a look when I get off work. The more politically incorrect a feature is the more apt I am to enjoy it.

Lorinda Norton May 29th, 2005 09:01 PM

Well...I almost hate to admit this, but I thought parts of it were hilarious! The opening scene really got me laughing.

Your work is quite good, Bryan--I found it enjoyable and impressive from every standpoint of production. I may try to view some of the other movies on your Web site.

BTW, I've got a college-age kid myself, so I understand your rather "incorrect" humor. Judging from your production notes on the other movies, I'd say you and your friends have enough creativity, intelligence and talent to really go places.

Marco Leavitt May 29th, 2005 09:02 PM

Sorry, I'm with Jay. Not funny.

Bryan Harley May 29th, 2005 09:59 PM

Thank you very much Lorinda, I really appreciate your comments.

Marco, I'm sorry you feel that way. But why should it stop you or Jay from, at the least, viewing it? I just want to make people laugh. Sure the comedy may not be "PC," but my aim is not to offend.

Brandon Greenlee May 29th, 2005 10:39 PM

Good Job.

Well put together piece. Made me laugh.

You have to understand that anytime that you do something like this many people will not agree. It just goes with the territory. In fact I believe much of the humor in it is knowing that you are not supposed to be laughing at what you are seeing, but can't help it.

Steven Gotz May 29th, 2005 10:50 PM

I would have been perfectly happy to have had the opportunity to laugh. But I just ended up frowning through it. Sorry. Not funny.

Decent production values though. I had no trouble understanding what was going on, I just didn't see any humor. Irony yes. Humor no. Keep trying.

Bryan Harley May 29th, 2005 11:07 PM

Yeah, I realize this type of comedy is not for everyone. Ah well! I have several different kinds of comedies available for download on my website. I always enjoy trying different approaches to the genre.

Marco Leavitt May 30th, 2005 06:25 AM

Bryan,
Actually, I did download it, but couldn't get it to play. I'm on a Mac. I'm certainly willing to at least try and find out where you are coming from, but from the title I'm not encouraged. Personally, I think a lot of people hide behind terms like "un-p.c." as a way to excuse all kinds of hateful behavior. I'm not saying you are, because like I said, I couldn't get the clip to play. But you might want to ask yourself if this really is the kind of company you want to keep.

Lorinda Norton May 30th, 2005 08:00 AM

Not to over-analyze, but the difference of opinion here interests me. I took Bryan’s disclaimer to heart when I watched, gave him the benefit of the doubt (that he wasn’t making fun of handicapped people), and concentrated on the other aspects of the movie.

We all know that comedy is quite subjective—for various reasons. One, we run much of what we see through the filter of our experiences. I laughed right from the start at the choice of musical instruments because we actually have them for sale in the music store where I teach! Like banjos, their bigger counterparts have spawned countless jokes. (Besides that, I just thought the actor did a good job.)

I liked “Freddy” because of his good heart. Yet I could laugh at the end purely because the visual was funny – not because of the concept. Chalk that up to too much Wily Coyote/Roadrunner as a kid, I suppose. Admittedly, I cringed at the two “episodes,” but there again, I concentrated on other things.

Finally, I actually appreciated the irony--thought it was clever.

If I had to pigeonhole this particular piece I might liken it to some of Steve Martin’s work. I know many people who don’t care for his stuff at all, but I think some of it is good. (I’m one of the FEW people I know who thought a good portion of Bowfinger was funny. There again, some of my own experiences played a part.)

A dear friend of mine from the East Coast tells me that humor there is more sophisticated than here in the West. That may be so, but I am okay with the fact that I can laugh at the “lower end” as well as “sophisticated” comedy. Sometimes I feel like people could stand to lighten up a little. I’ve watched a few short movies and read a few posts on this forum that have offended me because of my beliefs, etc., but I don’t moralize because it was my choice to view them.

Thanks for posting, Bryan; I’ll be watching for the next one.

Steven Gotz May 30th, 2005 08:14 AM

Humor is a tough target to hit. The target is different for every observer. So where do you aim?

The answer, as Bryan already knows, is to aim where you laugh, and the heck with everyone else. If you are trying to make a living doing it, then you make compromises. But if it is just for your own satisfaction, and to share with others, no compromises are required or desired.

However, Bryan will not know who did, and did not, find it funny unless we tell him.

I would not consider my self particularly sophisticated when it comes to humor. I consider Robin Williams to be the funniest man on the planet. And while I am not particularly proud of it, I find this little piece to be very funny. My wife assures me it is probably just "Guy humor" but what can I say?

http://txc.net.au/~mapie/JurrasicFart.wmv

Lorinda Norton May 30th, 2005 08:27 AM

Oh my gosh, Steven, that's crude!!! And of course, I laughed.

Your assessment of the humor thing is dead-on. BTW, Robin Williams is a perfect example of someone who's humor yanks me around--I hate some of it and laugh until I hurt at the rest.

Dylan Couper June 2nd, 2005 06:25 PM

Half of me was intruiged the title, the other half was offended by it.

Dude, this has to be *THE* most offensive video I've ever seen posted here. You've got some big balls to put it up, and attach your name to it. I did laugh all the way through, but I felt really, really, really bad for laughing. It was pretty f-ing funny.

However, for making fun of the mentally handicapped, I have to rate your film one middle finger up.