The Unknown Girl of the Public Bench, 8' - french - DivX - Mov - Wmv - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Old July 5th, 2005, 02:17 AM   #16
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Gladwell
Jean-Nicolas, how about putting it in a format everyone can watch, like .wmv or .mov? Thanks!
Hi Jay ! For the moment, I can't put it in other format but hang up, I'll do it when I can... :-/
Jean-Nicolas Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2005, 12:19 PM   #17
New Boot

Wow, an amazing piece of work! The music, the intro, the composition of it all... everything is great!

I've gotten most of my questions answered already, but I have one more - a small one: What is the name of the typeface being used? It's such a beautiful, handwritten font.

/ Jan "Kiwi" Kivisaar
Sweden
Jan Kivisaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2005, 06:56 PM   #18
Regular Crew

Jean-Nicolas,

I'm curious about that title sequence. How'd you guys do it?

Josh
Josh Caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2005, 07:10 PM   #19
Major Player

Quote:
Jean-Nicolas, how about putting it in a format everyone can watch, like .wmv or .mov? Thanks!

Jay
http://www.divx.com/
Old July 6th, 2005, 02:12 AM   #20
New Boot

Thank you again, it's such a pleasure to answer you !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan Kivisaar
I've gotten most of my questions answered already, but I have one more - a small one: What is the name of the typeface being used? It's such a beautiful, handwritten font.
It's "Worstveld Sling Extra" font and you can find it here : http://www.dafont.com/en/font.php?fi...veld_sling_ext

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Caldwell
I'm curious about that title sequence. How'd you guys do it?
Here is the process (with my bad english, sorry...) :

The opening sequence : first of all, I scaned (high-res) a real textured paper that I modified on Photoshop. Then, I scaned (high-res too, more than 20.000 pixels) one of the drawing we see in the short movie.
After that, I did a manual TGA sequence with the drawing : I erased a little bit of the frame and save it as a new picture. So I started by the end.
Then, I "backwarded" the sequence and "slowed" it (that result the impression of drawing on the frame).
In After Effect, I put my final sequence on the high-res textured paper, and did a composition with the names & title, the camera movement, the lightning, etc...
For the clock, I take one real frame of it, then I transformed it in drawing in Photoshop and I did a new TGA sequence, erasing the clock.
Final composition : what you saw !
Old July 6th, 2005, 07:42 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Jenkins
Pat, I will not put Divx on my system. Period. Too many problems with the codec.

Jay
Jay Gladwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2005, 08:02 AM   #22
Inner Circle

The divX codec version that doesn't encode won't put spyware onto your system.

You could download Microsoft Antispyware Beta to double check. (Or Spybot, or Adaware)

2- Windows Media encodes just as well if not better than divX from my tests.

Quote:
If your are interested in Post-Production, here is a demo reel of the color process (Original Shot, then Combustion process and then Lustre process) and other stuff like using SteadyMove to improve the motion travelling in the short-movie.

No comments, only music, less than 4 min length, it's big (60 Mo) and in DivX but it's the way to see the differences in full resolution !

It's 1.07 pixel aspect ratio, as we shot, but you can use BSPlayer if you want to see it in 16/9.

All questions are welcome !

http://idbp.arakneed.com/dl/idbp_demo_etalonnage.avi
Thanks for that video, it was very illuminating.
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2005, 08:09 AM   #23
Major Player

Quote:
Pat, I will not put Divx on my system. Period. Too many problems with the codec.

Jay

If I can ask, what's wrong with it? I've been using Divx for years (back to the infamous 3.11alpha) and its worked great for me! Stick with the free version, not the pro trial.

Some other great divx compatible codecs..

http://www.xvid.org/
http://www.3ivx.com/
Old July 6th, 2005, 02:50 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Jenkins
If I can ask, what's wrong with it? I've been using Divx for years (back to the infamous 3.11alpha) and its worked great for me! Stick with the free version, not the pro trial.

Some other great divx compatible codecs..

http://www.xvid.org/
http://www.3ivx.com/
The reasons are many, the biggest of which is WMV 9 looks as good or better and creates smaller files to boot.

Jay
Jay Gladwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2005, 06:14 PM   #25
Major Player

Macs can't play WMV though, can they? I have a PC, but I think not.

I just installed 3ivx and had no problems whatsoever. It's far from being Real Player.

Anyway, I really enjoyed this short. You made very good use of a more expensive camera and the overall produciton values are great. It looks very close to professional stuff. The shallow depth of field is very well used.

The only thing I thought was lacking was dialogue, but I guess it was the idea in first place to make it a mute.

Anyway, I have to say that this and 'Broken' seem to be the most professional films I've seen here, wether in terms of look and of production quality.
Old July 7th, 2005, 03:33 PM   #26
Major Player

Jean,
That film was awesome.
What are the accessories you used to get that film look.
Filters, wide angle lens, post-production software, etc.
Or did you just shoot on grey color and depended on post production to get that film look?.
Eniola Akintoye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2005, 01:29 AM   #27
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eniola Akintoye
What are the accessories you used to get that film look.
Filters, wide angle lens, post-production software, etc.
Or did you just shoot on grey color and depended on post production to get that film look?.
Hi Eniola,
For the film look, first of all we used a huge DV Camcorder : the Sony DSR570 WSP (720*576, 2/3 inch captors, standard lenses, etc...).
Then we tried to have a good DoF with lights and using the zoom. Benjamin (the Cinematographer) shot in gray contrasts in order to post-working it with Combustion and Lustre.
In the end, we first "equalize" the short on Combustion and then we did the color process (bleach) on Lustre.
You can see that process on the demo reel here : http://idbp.arakneed.com/dl/idbp_demo_etalonnage.avi
Old July 9th, 2005, 09:02 AM   #28
Major Player

Jean, The .avi is not working. Could you please change it to .wmv or quicktime or something.

I guess I would have understood what you meant by combustion and lustre but since I can not see the demo reel, I am totally lost.

Please help.

Thanks!.
Eniola Akintoye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2005, 09:42 AM   #29
Regular Crew

Bravo. Très beau boulot. Freely translated, very nice!
Comme quoi...
Jean-Nicolas, do you have a portfolio of other work?
Cemil Giray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2005, 10:51 AM   #30
Trustee

I don't know how I missed this before, but I just watched it. Wow! Very nice. A story well told, and in beautiful pictures.

Count me as a fan.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work