DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Show Your Work (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/show-your-work/)
-   -   Music video: acoustic in the forest! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/show-your-work/466026-music-video-acoustic-forest.html)

David Schuurman October 19th, 2009 06:52 AM

Music video: acoustic in the forest!

This is a video I shot for a friend of mine while visiting my parents for thanksgiving (canadian one). I recorder her playing the song then I played the recorded take back for her while we shot the rest of the takes.

Shot on HV30 with 35mm adapter.
artist: Outlet the girl
Song: Erica

I struggled alot with chosing my exposure and settled on underexposing a bit to retain as much as I could in the highlights, but I think I underexposed a bit too much.
I also could've used a bounceboard in a bad way, but you know...vacation....not much gear around... excuses... :)

anyways, I can go on and on about what I should've done differently but I'll just shutup and let you make the rest of the criticisms (which I am hoping to hear lots of!)

Aaron Fowler October 19th, 2009 07:16 PM

You're hoping to hear some criticism? Okay, here are my suggestions:

The first thing that sticks out to me is that you're shooting in what looks like a beautiful location but we're limited to closeups. Maybe a extreme wide to show everything or cutaways to the rest of the forest. I'm not saying that I don't like your CU's, I'm just saying that sometimes it's the wide shot that gives that little bit more intimacy to the close up shots.

Maybe also some editing progression throughout the song. By that I mean save your nicer CU's for later in the video and start off with wider shots or vice versa or start and end with CU's and WS's in the middle. Something to keep the audiences interest by changing up your editing style a little throughout the video.

I was going to suggest a wide worms eye shot (to cut in with some of your low angle close ups), but then I remembered she was wearing a skirt, so it's probably best that you didn't. :P

Overall there was some good work in there. I get the feeling that you know it's not your best work, but it's better to save your best work for when you're not on vacation right?

Just out of curiosity, how long did you take to shoot it?

David Schuurman October 19th, 2009 07:29 PM

Aaron,
thanks for the comments! I like the idea of changing the style as the song progresses, it would definitely hold interest more ...especially since I only shot in one location. And I agree about the wide shots but I couldn't really do the only ones I thought would be good; a high wide shot from like up in the trees, and a dolly in from wide into her little clearing.

yeah it's not my best work, and I could blame that on lack of gear, or that I'm not getting paid, or anything like that but I suppose that's a cop out because I should be making everything I do the best no matter what I have to work with.

took about an hour and a half to shoot.