"The Patient" Our recent film festival entry at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Old October 30th, 2009, 02:40 PM   #1
New Boot

"The Patient" Our recent film festival entry

This was an entry into our local IFC 357 film festival. You are allowed to make a video of any genre that is either 3, 5 or 7 minutes in length. This is the directors cut which is how it was originally intended to look. It is 9:40, obviously we had to cut it down to fit the 7 minutes mark for the festival so I am posting the original. We have done several short film before, as well as beginning work on our first feature film. Just curious to see what everyone thinks. I will give the results later.

YouTube - The Patient
Richard Robertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2009, 07:08 AM   #2
Regular Crew

I see that like me you mostly use shots where the camera is still, the few moving shots make the contrast between the still cam and moving one fairly stark, however I much prefer the moving camera shots, starting at 1:14 and 2:05, which is a very nice continuing shot although it ends in an amusing reflection of the camera in the front of the car :D which most people won't notice. there is also a nice moment late in the film where the camera moves very slowly across a room.

The actors may not be the most experienced but they have good moments, love the joke at 3:10 and the subtle one at 6:10.

There is a very obvious continuity error at 1:04 which you might want to do something about.

Otherwise music and atmosphere is excellent.
Sverrir Fridriksson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2009, 05:50 PM   #3
New Boot

Thank you for your input, I am not seeing the continuity error at 1:04 could you please help me there. We are getting ready to start our first comedy short, this should be interesting.
Richard Robertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2009, 10:03 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I noticed it, as well. In the shot where the doctor is walking out of the building, a car is just passing out of frame; this car does not pass in front of either the creepy guy or the doctor in the next two shots.
Chris McMahon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2009, 07:06 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Actually I was wrong about the continuity error, however, the change of angles from 0.59, to a different view on 1:04 and then back to the first angle on 1:08 is so extreme that it looks like the doctor is standing at a completely different intersection in the 1:04 clip.
Sverrir Fridriksson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2009, 07:50 PM   #6
New Boot

Hey guys thanks for the input, I really appreciate an educated eye. Sometimes you can't see the forest for the trees!! I now see the continuity mistake with the car that you are talking about. As far as the shots go, I was attempting to use the trash can and light pole as an visual frame of reference for where the Dr. is in relation to the creepy guy. But I appreciate knowing how a different eyes sees it though. I think sometimes we are shooting something as we want to see it and just forget that our audience doesn't usually understand what we are wanting them to understand.
Richard Robertson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work