All About You - shot on DVX100 - 1:15 runtime at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Old November 17th, 2009, 05:25 PM   #1
Regular Crew

All About You - shot on DVX100 - 1:15 runtime

Hey DVI members,

I'm currently attending film school, and for one of our projects we had to film someone else's one page script. This is footage I shot on a camera I booked out, a DVX100. I shot it in 4:3 format, because I read something about the DVX not having true 16:9, and I have not shot in 4:3 in a long time and thought to try it again. As for the video, it's not a complete story. It's just a scene. Also, for colour correction I made the scene have a red/purplish colour, to try and make the location feel more like a dark / sketchy bar.

Comments / criticisms appreciated. Thanks!

or YouTube

Justin

Last edited by Justin Tomchuk; November 18th, 2009 at 09:48 AM.
Justin Tomchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2009, 11:20 PM   #2
Major Player

I really like the look and the feel of this.

My main issue with it is the cutting. You've got a bit of a jump cut I believe somewhere around 00:25-00:26. The camera also crosses the 180 degree line at the cut at 00:33-00:34 and it causes your actors to switch sides in the frame....and thus the established mental map for your viewers is compromised.
Michael Kraus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2009, 05:39 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks for the comments Michael, and a good point about the jump cuts and 180 degree line. Some of those shots are actually long shots pointed through a mirror, so it looks like the same shot, but moved forward more. It's kind of confusing I know, I'm not sure if it works either, but was interesting to experiment with.
Justin Tomchuk is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work