Georgia - Music Video [PA] at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Old June 30th, 2005, 11:57 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Georgia - Music Video [PA]

Whats going on dvinfo community? Check out my latest video, shot with a Canon XL2 and edited using Vegas Video 4.0. The artist is Star-Easy out of Waycross, GA. Let me know what you think. thanx

parental advisory

http://steakmotionpictures.com/georgia.wmv
Walter McElroy, Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2005, 12:55 PM   #2
Trustee

I really like the location with the kids in the backyard, all that stuff looked really nice. In general, it seems slightly over-exposed so be careful there, the XL2 viewfinder is not very good so be sure you calibrate it to match what is being recorded.

You should get a wide angle adapter or lens, it is a MUST for this type of work. Some of those blah locations may really come to life with a wide lens. For rap stuff, it is cliche, but I recommend a fisheye adapter as well. Also, for this genre of music, I find a high shutter can really add a desired effect. Something about the bling and spinner rims in a higher shutter just looks good LOL....

Also, try shooting more close-ups so you can narrow your depth of field and lastly, go more extreme on your low and high angles.. it really can add some cinematic flare...

ash =o)
Ash Greyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2005, 09:30 AM   #3
New Boot

Very nice job!
Walker Robins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2005, 03:24 PM   #4
New Boot

Wow that was a very good quality. The smoothness and clarity of the video brought the motion to life. I love the way it looked filmish. The 24p and 16x9 really set it off. How long have those guys been rapping?

So you used Vegas 4, what exactly did you do to compress this video? Can you give me some exact details? It would really help me as, I have some clips I would like to edit and compress as well.
Ashton Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2005, 06:21 PM   #5
Regular Crew

First off, thanx to everyone who has replied to my post thus far.

Im feeling you Ash, on changing the lens, angles, and shutter speeds on the shots. I was thinking the same thing as I was looking at the footage. I will incorporate those suggestions and more on my next project. I really need to experiment and play around with the cam and lighting more. I want to start controlling my DOF also.

As far as compressing it Ashton, I simply used Vegas Video to compress the timeline into a Windows Media Video (V9) file, at a custom frame rate at 23.976 (VTC Film), image size set at animation (320x240) and I think the quality was around 79%. I hope this helps.
Old July 7th, 2005, 05:28 PM   #6
Major Player

Nice footage Walter.
I have a Brand New Canon XL2 which I am still trying to figure out how to set it to look like the work you just did.

Could you please post on the
1, Camera settings you used?
2, Did you use any other accessories like Matte, Filters, etc and what type did you use?
3, What kind of lighting set up did you do, Triangular set up, etc ?
Eniola Akintoye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2005, 10:48 AM   #7
Regular Crew

I had the settings on custom with the cine look on, I really didnt light this video as well as I should have. I used natural light on all outside footage, but next time I will use some reflectors to light up the subject's faces more, and filters to control the DOF. On the indoor scenes, I simply lit the artist with an on board camera light and the crowd was lit with two Arri 650's. One of the 650's didnt work half the time, so that was another challenge. The artist told me before hand that he wanted to keep the indoor scene as real as possible. In post I increased the contrast to make the colors more vibrant.
So luckily I turned out a cool lil video, editing was crucial but, you live and you learn. Im going to spend more time lighting the next one, and that XL2 sure is sweet!
Old July 13th, 2005, 03:54 PM   #8
Trustee

If you can post a grab of the look you want, I will tell you the settings to use.

ash =o)
Ash Greyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2005, 07:56 PM   #9
Regular Crew

that would be real cool ash, thanks
Walter McElroy, Jr. is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work