2 short videos made with the Canon 500D at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Old January 7th, 2010, 06:52 AM   #1
Regular Crew

2 short videos made with the Canon 500D

Hi guys, just thought I'd share two short videos I've made this week of the cold weather in the UK.

I used it as a opportunity to try out the Canon 500D using a few different lenses.

All edited and graded using Sony Vegas Pro 9.

Any comments about either video much appreciated.

Thanks.
Jonathan Palfrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2010, 07:46 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Well they are both excellent. On the 1st one (Icy Harbour) I liked the shot 1.27-1.36 area especially. To provide constructive criticism, which I guess is what we're all after on here, at least to me the people shot soon after came as "a bit of a shock to the flow of the film". I would perhaps have used the shot soon after, where you have OOF (out of focus) people in the background, at that point and then jumped to the closer up people shots - so it was more expected. But that's just my reaction and others may well love it exactly as the editor intended! The second one was brilliant in every way.

You have a good eye and great editing style. Hope to see more and thanks for sharing something from a Canon model that perhaps gets overlooked unfairly (especially judging from these films) ....with the near hysteria we often see around the 5dMkII & 7D !!! ;-)

PS Which harbour? It looked vaguely familiar but I could n't quite place it!
Old January 7th, 2010, 08:36 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Hi Andy thanks for the response. Glad you like them. Ah true I didnt think of that, placing the OOF shot of people before the CU would have been a good idea.

Yeah I agree the 500D is overlooked very often. I couldnt afford a 7D as I had just bought a Sony Z5 so I thought as it would only be a secondary camera anyway the 500D would do a good enough job. Image wise I dont think theres anything wrong with what the 500D produces and it looks as good as 7D footage. Just a shame setting the aperture is so awkward.

I am planning on shooting a music video with the 500D, these videos where kind of a test to see how easy that would be. Once I've made it I'll make sure I upload it onto here.

That is Paignton harbour in that video. Not the most exciting harbour but was able to get some nice shots.

Thanks
Jonathan Palfrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2010, 05:54 AM   #4
Major Player

I can see that you are in the UK and maybe can help.

In Sony Vegas what settings are you using for your timeline and export? I have only worked with PAL so not too familiar with NTSC settings - although I have an understanding of them, and i'm new to 500D.

With your footage what do you set as timeline project properties? what pixel aspect ratio? I just want to make sure I have best possible settings. I am of course using 720p as 1080p @ 20fps is a bit of a joke on canon's behalf
Christopher Hughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2010, 11:03 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Hi sorry for the slow response. I actually edited and output the video at 30p. It didnt really matter as it was only going on the web and my PS3 could easily play the 30p file on my HDTV.

As for project settings, I think I just picked 720p/30 in the project settings then output WMV 720p/30 at 10mbps.
Jonathan Palfrey is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work