DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Show Your Work (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/show-your-work/)
-   -   S.W.A.T. Challenge--set to "300" back ground (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/show-your-work/471033-s-w-t-challenge-set-300-back-ground.html)

Martin Wiosna January 14th, 2010 10:40 PM

S.W.A.T. Challenge--set to "300" back ground

When I shot the footage, I had no intention of making this out of it. Honest feedback is always appreciated.

YouTube - sogtrailer.wmv

David W. Jones January 22nd, 2010 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Martin Wiosna (Post 1472551)
Honest feedback is always appreciated.

YouTube - sogtrailer.wmv

In all honesty you are in violation of copyright laws.

Adam Smith February 6th, 2010 03:38 PM

I like it. Decent use of the existing soundtrack and audio...nice work.

Copyright, blah blah blah...it's just a video project for his cop buddies.

David W. Jones February 7th, 2010 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam Smith (Post 1482517)
Copyright, blah blah blah...it's just a video project for his cop buddies.

Which has been posted on the internet where it can be viewed internationally,
not just by his buddies.

Adam, I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that you are very young, and just starting out in the world of video, and have never had any of your footage pirated and used in someones project without your permission "Yet".

Dale Guthormsen February 7th, 2010 08:12 PM

Good evening,

Actually, David is right. Nicely done but should be pulled off line and shared with your buds!!!

dale

Scott Hayes February 9th, 2010 01:02 PM

i would have left the movie stuff out of it. instead, would have mic'd the s.w.a.t.
commander and used his voice instead. adds to much of a cheese factor

Andy Graham February 12th, 2010 07:04 AM

i agree with David, my first thoughts were of the same copyright nature. To use a metaphor related to the video... the warner bros logo is symbol of millions of dollars and a lot of peoples hard work and commands respect, to use it without permission is like someone running around with a cop badge impersonating an officer.

I think you'll find a lot of people on this site with the same respect of copyright. I wanted to use 2 min worth of a stone cold sour track for my showreel, since it was just a showreel and lies in a grey area of fair use i could have just stuck it on there but i chose to email the record company and ask permission....of course they said no which i had expected but it was the right thing to do if you want to be taken seriously by others in the filmmaking community.

Andy.

Martin Wiosna February 20th, 2010 12:47 AM

In no way did or do I want to take any credit as this being my work.

It was more of a tribute to the movie 300, since one of the powers that commands me, liked the movie. It was more of a gift to the, than anything else.

I'm only posting online for feedback and select views, and as always constructive feedback and reminders are always welcomed.

Mark Boyer February 26th, 2010 10:42 AM

Serious Warning!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Disney, Warner Brothers and other major studios and companies have attorneys working full time looking for copyright violators. I have run into this at fairs and events where vendors using vinyl sign machines were selling window stickers using copyrighted images. They show up with the local law enforcement and not only put you out of business but they also confiscate all of your equipment.

They will come knocking with pre filled out paper work and take all of your computer and video equipment.

They will not care if this is private or for profit, once you use it you are in violation.

Read Section "B":

P506 Criminal Offenses

(A) Criminal infringement - any person who infringes a copyright willfully and for purposes of commercial advantage or private financial gain shall be punished as provided in section 2319 of Title 18.

(B) Forfeiture and Destruction - When any person is convicted of any violation of subsection (A), the court in its judgment of conviction shall, in addition to the penalty therein prescribed, order the forfeiture and destruction of other disposition of all infringing copies . . . and all implements, devices, all equipment used in the manufacture of such infringing copies.

Now I have your attention... look at this copyright bit of trivia...

Is Singing Happy Birthday in Public Really Copyright Infringement? Yes.

Copyright in the song is owned by Warner Brothers and it continues to be enforced, Warner Brothers collects more than $2 million each year in royalities.

According to United States copyright law in United States Code, Title 17 §106, authors of works such as musical compositions have the exclusive right "to perform the copyrighted work publicly." In United States Code, Title 17 §101, the law defines publicly performing a work as "to perform or display it at a place open to the public or at any place where a substantial number of persons outside of a normal circle of a family and its social acquaintances is gathered."

This means that if you sing Happy Birthday to your family at home, you're probably not committing copyright infringment. However, if you do it in an restaurant — and if the restaurant hasn't already worked out a deal with ASCAP — you may be engaging in copyright infringement.

Andy Graham February 26th, 2010 07:57 PM

I think this thread has turned into a law lesson, i know the guy that made the video didn't mean anythin by it, lets let it go me thinks

Andy

PS, im sure warrner bros are just livid with copyright rage, afterall the guy is stealling their m....billions

David W. Jones February 27th, 2010 05:55 PM

Copyright infringement not only affects billion dollar companies, but also the little guys like you and me. For example... I composed a music package for TV stations to use as news opens / bumps / bills / close / promos. A station which had been a client decided not to renew after a year. No problem, until I found out they continued to use the package for an additional 2 years! I have had out of state ad agencies send copy stating it was for Market X radio only. And then turn around and use the voice track for TV as well, in a larger fringe market. All so they can avoid paying higher talent fees.
This is how I make my house payment, put food on the table, and put my children through school. When you use copyright music and footage without permission it is no different than holding up someone in an ally and taking all the money in their wallet. You are stealing from them!

Mark Boyer February 27th, 2010 06:53 PM

Don't assume that being a "little guy" you might somehow will be ignored by the attorneys from the mega companies.

Look at this site: Wild West Page - Web Sheriff - Protection of On Line Copyrights, Trademarks & Brands