My First Commercial (and my first post) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Old January 31st, 2010, 03:46 PM   #1
Regular Crew

My First Commercial (and my first post)

Hi all, this is my first post here, so I thought it should include some video. This is an ad for a chamber ballet here in Eugene, Oregon called Ballet Fantastique. It was for a show of theirs called "Visions d'Amour" that took place in November 2009. It aired on local cable (Comcast Spotlight) for two weeks, which was pretty awesome. It was shot with a Z1U in about two hours. Created very much on the fly (we had no idea what we wanted when we went in the door) but I like it.

I'm very interested in your feedback and comments. Please watch in HD, by the way.

I'm excited to be part of the dvinfo community and I look forward to posting more stuff as it comes my way!

Jackson Hager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2010, 04:23 PM   #2
Major Player

Really good for a local commercial. Why the big Comcast end tag the last 5 seconds though, was it a promo campaign you made for them?!
David Barnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2010, 05:28 PM   #3
Major Player

Welcome to the forum Jackson,
I think it was a good commercial, the only thing I see is when the dancer landed on the floor which I assume It was a green screen you can see some of the lines in the floor which can be fixed with some tweaking in post.
Michael Ojjeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2010, 03:44 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Yeah, the floor and backdrop were just this huge white sheet. I tried to get rid of wrinkles as much as possible with light and by stretching it tight, then I did what I could in post without totally blowing everything out (which was hard with so many highlights, but live and learn).

The large Comcast logo at the end is because Comcast donated the airtime (this ballet is non-profit) and Comcast's condition was that the last 5 seconds of the spot be their logo.

Thanks for the feedback, I'm glad to be here!
Jackson Hager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2010, 09:49 PM   #5
Major Player

Looks good. Seems a little more risque/vaudeville than ballet to me, though.

For the Comcast bump, I would have put "Brought to you in part by...", otherwise it seems that Comcast is putting it on.
Bryan Gilchrist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2010, 10:25 AM   #6
Regular Crew

I liked the visuals very much, not sure about the background "crackling", was the music maybe taken directly of vinyl? I'm sure many will like it, though.

Welcome to the forum, you will find that if you have any problems with anything, you can just ask and a few hours later you probably won't have any problems. It really is a fantastic community with everyone trying to help you out.
Sverrir Fridriksson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2010, 08:17 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Looks good. Seems a little more risque/vaudeville than ballet to me, though.
Yeah, the performance was themed around turn-of-last-century French music halls and such, so can-can dancers and the like. Plus, who wants to see a commercial full of ballet moves? You can see that at the show. Now a commercial of cute dancers in corsets, that's something everyone can get behind.

Quote:
not sure about the background "crackling", was the music maybe taken directly of vinyl? I'm sure many will like it, though.
The music is a mix of the real song "Whatever Lola Wants" as recorded by Sarah Vaughan (about the first 5 secs) then the piece without words as arraigned by the ballet's composer. The scratch was added, again to fit with the theme of the ballet, but I admit it might by too loud.

Quote:
For the Comcast bump, I would have put "Brought to you in part by...", otherwise it seems that Comcast is putting it on.
Unfortunately, they were pretty strict about where and how their logo was presented. But since they donated thousands of dollars of airtime, I don't mind too much.
Jackson Hager is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work