Is this too long? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Old March 3rd, 2010, 03:09 AM   #16
Major Player

Many thanks Lorinda. I have recovered now ;-)
I should have said. I replaced the film in the link above.
I suppose that it would be useful to compare the two but I try not to clutter up my Vimeo pages too much.
If anybody wants to see the previous version please ask and I will upload it to Vimeo and link to it here.
BTW if anyone is interested this is the context that the film is being us in ie the Dalriada website:
http://www.dalriadabar.co.uk/
(I'm waiting for content but the owners wanted the site to go live even though it's not all there yet)

Last edited by Richard Gooderick; March 3rd, 2010 at 03:52 AM.
Richard Gooderick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2010, 12:11 AM   #17
Wrangler

Wow, Richard, you really tightened it up, didn't you! Looks great. I love the segment early on where the video images fade in and out during the song. Something, too, about the little boy and then the two guys sitting at the table with the music transition is quite compelling. By the way, I laughed when I saw the fireplace...that thing was HOT! :)

I viewed it from the Web page you listed as a wanna-be tourist and guess what...I REALLY want to visit that bar!!! Looks like it would be a blast.

Thanks again for sharing. Great fun.
Old March 4th, 2010, 02:26 AM   #18
Major Player

Thanks so much for looking at it again and giving your thoughts and comments. I really appreciate it.
Should you ever get to Dalriada please ask for Alison or Terry and have a free drink on me. I will let them know you may visit one day!
Old March 4th, 2010, 06:03 AM   #19
Major Player

i cant believe you did that.
You have this great "establishing" shot of the location , then we go inside to WHAT? i dont even know where i am and there you are doing cinamatic close ups , did i miss something in the Long version?
its a BAR right? building with tables chairs mabey even a BAR itself in there ? is there stools? how big is the place? what did i miss something? like everything, hey cool woodworking,

I didnt get to see where i am , but i do get to see a great closeup of booze, you know what i can look at the bottom of a booze glass sitting at home :-)

hey i am just giving you a bad time, on purpose, you said people would be checking this out thinking of going there , but i never even walked in the door, and i got booze shoved in my face some crasy locals are having a concert, and i dont even see an inviting place to sit down. SEEE what i am saying. Did you invite me in? does this assume that i am already drunk? the glasses are dirty, can i say "wiskey in a dirty glass" , what the Heck was that? part of the stairwell?
I like the nice dissolves, and the video played well on the WEB (this time) and the music had good audio. the out of focus shot at the end has to go, it looks like the camera person errored, snip snip.
Old March 4th, 2010, 06:26 AM   #20
Major Player

Ha!
I love these comments Marty. So many people pussyfoot around on this forum, being far too diplomatic. When people ask for feedback I think they should expect to hear it as it is. So this is great!
You've just about summed it up. Crazy people playing music with booze.
Well, actually, not just plain booze of course but some of the finest malt whiskies that are hard to get outside of Scotland. And superb ales. I didn't bother with the wines (and yes, the glasses are dusty so maybe I should have left that shot out).
Also, pretty good live music, hopefully, of all kinds, played in sessions ie within the room where musicians just turn up, not as a concert. This is rare in England but not in Scotland or Ireland. I don't know if it's common elsewhere in the world.
It's meant to work in conjunction with the website. Which does the inviting.
Bearing in mind that it's was getting dark outside when I started shooting and it's the middle of winter so it doesn't look that wonderful anyway and it's 400 miles away so I am not going to re-shoot it, how would you handle the welcome-in bit if you were shooting the film? I'd love to get a take on that for another time I am doing a film like this.
The still that I used of the outside of the building was taken lying down on the beach. So you see the sand in the foreground with the dreaming spire and the building next door to give it classy look. That's the other message the film is trying to get across. That it's a bar _on the beach_. Most people who visit Edinburgh don't realise that it's next to the sea. I went there for years without realising that myself.
Hence the waves in the soundtrack too.
Old March 4th, 2010, 06:45 AM   #21
Major Player

yes the beach, so would a person wander from the bar and walk on the beach? with say thier GF that they brought to see the very special bar he just conned her into going to? allowing for that classic and altogether corney romatic shot of a couple on a beach? then switcheroo and the happy couple is entering said location with friendly feeling and available space be that at least 2 open chairs , , , THEN sees crasy locals haveing a most enjoyable time?

i dont know how i would do the inviting part, but the Building is loaded with its own life, it doesnt look like a hole in a cement building in the city.
so i might have gone with live video of a human going into the bar. , or the virtual reality of myself walking in. working the outside of the building for a few seconds of final video, i cant see anything there that was "bad" so getting up to the place without overdoing it.
then at Least One shot of the location internally, big , small, is it kept up, whats on the walls from a wide view of its, WHERE are the things that you did a hard shot of?

on the other hand, if its not so pretty to be showing such things, then of course dont.

the glasses shot looked nice, and it is REAL that some of them were dirty, i wouldnt leave it out, i would clean them myself if i had to, and get the shot :-) real doesnt happen on video.
Old March 4th, 2010, 06:51 AM   #22
Major Player

Thanks. I may do another film in the summer. When it's buzzing and lovely outside. And pick up on some of these suggestions.
I appreciate your input.
Old March 6th, 2010, 11:35 AM   #23
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Gooderick View Post
So many people pussyfoot around on this forum, being far too diplomatic. When people ask for feedback I think they should expect to hear it as it is.
You know why many of us pussyfoot around? In this case your question was, "Is this too long?" not "What do you think?" Many of us on this board won't go there hard core if we're not asked. I don't think that's such a bad thing.
Old March 6th, 2010, 01:24 PM   #24
Major Player

Many thanks Lorinda and everyone who commented. It really was very helpful and I appreciate it.
I did revisit the beginning and extended the musical lead-in to the first scene inside the bar, in response to Marty's comments.
I learned a lot from everyone who commented. Thanks again.
Richard

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work