DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Show Your Work (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/show-your-work/)
-   -   New Music Video - Atilla (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/show-your-work/47293-new-music-video-atilla.html)

Josh Caldwell July 6th, 2005 05:27 PM

New Music Video - Atilla

Hey Everyone,

Here's a music video we just finished. It's only a 10 mb download.

http://www.savefile.com/files/1962329

We shot it with the XL2 in 16:9. We changed the saturation in camera to get black and white, a look we very much loved. (I've never been a fan of doing it in post, even though its essentially the same thing.)

The moving shots in the alley were shot using the Glidecam smooth shooter.

Hope you all enjoy.

Josh

Dave Ferdinand July 6th, 2005 06:06 PM

I thought it was good but I would have preferred to see some color, either in the indoor shots against the white background or the outdoor ones. I think the switch between color/b&w would make it a bit more dynamic and more interesting.

You could also put some chicks in the video... always a nice idea.

But overall it's enjoyable.

I thought you were using a dolly for the outdoor tracking... really smooth stuff.

Josh Caldwell July 6th, 2005 06:22 PM

Essentially this was just a promo video, nothing more than a supplement to a Mix Tape. The beat isn't his, so we can't use it anywhere. We shot it for the cost of tapes. Hence, no chicks.

Also, we thought about the color thing, and since we had so little control (it was pretty much just the camera at times) and no budget, we felt the black and white would help. As for combining the two, we thought about it, but it didn't work like we wanted it to. Especially since cutting from the white background to something outside was a weird cut, we didn't really want a video with the first half in color and the second in black and white.

Thanks for watching and your feedback!

Ash Greyson July 6th, 2005 10:34 PM

Three words of advice.... wide angle lens....

ash =o)

Josh Caldwell July 6th, 2005 11:16 PM

Why a wide angle lens? For the video we shot, a wide angle lens would not have complimented it.

Ash Greyson July 6th, 2005 11:44 PM

A wide angle is really a necessity with most DV cams. Those outside shots against the wall would have looked better with a wide or even fish-eye. A wide angle lens really helps you compose shots differently and is a great tool. You can get more extreme angles, etc.

When I do music videos I do one take with the stock 20X, one with the Canon 3X wide and on some set-ups, one with the 3X wide with a fisheye adapter.

ash =o)

Colvin Eccleston July 7th, 2005 08:56 AM

It doesn't seem to play as true 16:9 in divx6.

Josh Caldwell July 7th, 2005 09:23 AM

Do you have WMP 9? It was encoded for that as anamorphic, so that could be the problem.

Cody Dulock July 7th, 2005 09:33 AM

next rap video you do, here are some things to consider adding...

1) Half naked women
1.5) Half naked women shakin' their budunkadunk!
2) Guns (not neccesary, but guns rock)
3) shots of 22's! (wheels)
4) someone stepping out of a car with gators on
5) Lots of money floating around!!!
6) Bling is totally optional

those are some key elements that exist in almost every rap video you see now days. some have story lines, some dont.

the only thing that bothered me was: there were only shots of the artists themselves and nothing else for entertainment (see list above).

Eniola Akintoye July 7th, 2005 02:34 PM

Hmm, that video was nice.

1, Cody, you are absolutely right. They should have used some girls (sisters, cuz, friends) which I am sure they will be delighted to show in the video.

2, Even though it was pretty nice, but some colors would have made it more elegant.

3, Focus, you needed some lil focus. That would have made the video look more professional. To me, focus always let's me believe the camera operator knows what he/she is doing

Regardless though, I liked it. Reminds me of T.I's "you don't know me video"

Eniola Akintoye July 7th, 2005 02:36 PM

Oh, by the way, what settings did you use on the XL2?

Glenn Chan July 7th, 2005 05:50 PM

I liked the intro/beginning.
I felt the rest of the video wasn't as strong... just like lots of filler.

I don't think you should try to emulate other rap videos out there... put your own style and ideas in there.

Steven Davis December 6th, 2005 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ash Greyson
When I do music videos..

I had a guy call me the other day asking me about my services and his music video.

I've done a music video for a friend but never really done one on a contractual basis.

Does anyone have any tips when it comes to cost and such for a music video. We do corporate and weddings, special events and such. The only logical way I can think to bid on a music video is total price for a set number of on set hours or just strickly by the hour on shoot and post.

Bill Porter December 9th, 2005 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cody Dulock
next rap video you do, here are some things to consider adding...

1) Half naked women
1.5) Half naked women shakin' their budunkadunk!
2) Guns (not neccesary, but guns rock)
3) shots of 22's! (wheels)
4) someone stepping out of a car with gators on
5) Lots of money floating around!!!
6) Bling is totally optional

Aside from the fact that the artist isn't old enough to own, let alone display, a registered firearm, haven't you noticed that most people - obviously not you, though - are sick of formulaic videos? Same Old Shit.

Like we've never seen money floating around in a rap video?! Give me a break!

Ash Greyson December 11th, 2005 12:49 AM

Music video pricing is WILDLY varied. Talk to the band and see what they want, then price accordingly. Another way you can approach it is to ask them what the budget is and tell them what you can give them for that price. I have worked on videos that cost up to $900,000 in the past but I only do indie stuff now where there is no hassle with the record labels (see my doc LOL)

ash =o)