B-17 Sentimental Journey w/HMC-150 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Old March 12th, 2010, 09:28 PM   #1
Trustee

B-17 Sentimental Journey w/HMC-150

Here's a quick edit of the footage I shot of the CAF Arizona's B-17 Sentimental Journey. I'm shooting vid for the whole museum and hope to get aerial footage of this and all the other planes they fly on a regular basis.

HMC-150 and a bit of ContourHD in the cockpit.

Old March 14th, 2010, 06:25 PM   #2
Major Player

Are the shots with the "jello" effect from the ContourHD?
Kevin Spahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2010, 07:30 PM   #3
Trustee

yup!
I'm going to try again with it mounted a different way and in a different place. That was on the suction cup mount on the side window. It was a really bumpy flight to begin with and the front part of the window actually slides so it leaks a bit of air which at 250-300mph apparently was more than the Contour could handle!
Old March 15th, 2010, 11:28 PM   #4
Trustee

The footage was pretty good and I'm not a "jello" nitpicker, that was very minimal considering the vibration you may have had to contend with.

My gut feeling though is about the music. As one who has mission time in RB-50s part of the nostalgia comes from the sounds the aircraft make. On engine startup, the staccato firing of the cylinders as the engine begins to catch to the smoothing out of it's roar is much more music to the ear than "crappy elevator music jazz". You can intersperse real audio from aircraft sounds with "soaring" orchestral music theme to powerful effect.

Just my 2 centavos worth. Value may be about what you just paid for it.
Bruce Foreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2010, 11:58 PM   #5
Trustee

Ha! It's temp music anyway. The museum director and I are going to discuss the music after he finishes a very large event this weekend...

This was more of a "show the footage" than a final piece. Still have 3 other cameras-worth of material to go through including steadicam walk-arounds and yes...we have multiple engine start-ups/idles/run-ups recorded!

This was only one plane too...there's 2 others that offer commercial rides and about 7 others they fly on a regular basis. (in other words...we aren't even close to be done!)

I'll post more soon!
Old March 16th, 2010, 06:05 AM   #6
Major Player

I'm sorry if I came across as nit picking - I'm interested in the ContourHD and I had not considered that since it was a CMOS imager you might get the jello look under heavy vibration.

I think that the video looks great and I would love to shoot this kind of stuff - looks like great fun!
Kevin Spahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2010, 08:43 AM   #7
Trustee

No worries! That's part of what this forum is for, constructive criticism!
And you are right...need to hear those glorious engines springing to life!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work