Carbon Nation at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Old July 10th, 2005, 01:36 AM   #1
Major Player

Carbon Nation

Okay guys...here is yet again another short. I want to break free and make a 30 min film for once!! GAH...this one is about 2min 40secs long. Took quite a bit of work doing the vfx as you can imagine. I'm not even gonna tell you the specs of the camera because I want you to guess what it is...ooOoOo...a test!! JK Anyways...this is a fine cut, the music that is currently there is just for placement because I have a friend and his indie band currently doing the score. So everything but the *real* music and credits is pretty much final. This is for a contest so lemme know what changes could be made. I'm open to suggestions, critiques, and all that jazz. Hope you enjoy!

*note please be kind to my server as well, please download and don't stream over and over again. thanks*

10MB Quicktime

http://www.rch-e.com/temp/CarbonNation.mov

Last edited by Riley Harmon; July 10th, 2005 at 03:58 AM.
Riley Harmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2005, 03:00 AM   #2
New Boot

that was a pretty cool short! looks like you did a lot of work "copying" the kid. I thought the multiple kids looked better outside playing in the playground, the desk kids had a robotic uniform look, but i assume that's what you were going for. It is a solid short, I like the opening title works nice and the change of credits with the photocopy scan light is cool.The only negatives I see is: the teacher's overacting when she is talking down at the kid and the closeup shot of the kid in the classroom you see a little green hue around him. I hope this helps

as for your camera I will guess a DVX100????????
Andrew Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2005, 09:23 PM   #3
Major Player

Looks like that took alot of work. Great job. I really have nothing negative to say about this. The one with the two kids on the merry-go-round has me stumped...I can't even imagine how you masked that one and go the rotation speed correct...unless maybe you did it some other way.

haha..maybe your cheating and they actually are twins lol.
Matt Champagne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2005, 10:40 PM   #4
Major Player

xl1s with magic bullet, no twins, one kid x 12
Riley Harmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2005, 01:59 AM   #5
New Boot

Wow x 12! Looks fantastic. I am thinking possibly fertility drugs were used to make this shoot possible?

Seriously, great job. An "how to" (training DVD for $) of how you created this would be a terrific way to enlighten those of us who only aspire to these moves.

I agree, the merry-go-round scene and the scanner back-and-forth under the credits are highlights. Looking forward to hearing it with the final music. You have me and my GL2 fired up!

Nice work!

- bill shore
Bill Shore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2005, 12:03 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Shore
Seriously, great job. An "how to" (training DVD for $) of how you created this would be a terrific way to enlighten those of us who only aspire to these moves.
Well...not to detract anything from the short, because it is still well done no matter what...the cloning effect isn't one that is especially difficult (except for that merry-go-round shot and the initial moving shot...that still has my head spinning). Ryan Weiber does these, and some of his are very complex involving camera movement and interation between the characters (like handing himself a cup) and he also has tutorials on how to do it and other effects. Its essentially just shooting once for each clone and masking each clip. Unless perhaps Riley did it a different way.

http://www.ryanwfilms.com/ryan-w/effects.html
Matt Champagne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2005, 03:06 PM   #7
Major Player

Nice short. The cloning is very well done. I think more than having them interact it's good to see that there are very little, if any, artifacts denouncing the trick.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work