Gay For Johnny Depp - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Old July 20th, 2005, 12:38 PM   #16
Regular Crew

hell yeah, i'm gay for jake hensberry!
George Su is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2005, 12:39 PM   #17
Regular Crew

I'm gay for you too George!
Jake Hensberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2005, 09:57 PM   #18
Major Player

the good ol' 1 light shoot. suprisingly enough, it worked for this. it was a weird, somehwat disturbing, video... im sure the trend will catch on sooner or later (a few years from now some new wave screemo band will replicate your video style and it will be on mtv...). but then again who knows... either way, it was entertaining and told a story that probably matches what the lyrics in the song are about. in your/the bands artistic eye, its what you or the band wanted the video to be.

keep it cool in the motor pool.
Cody Dulock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2005, 08:48 AM   #19
Regular Crew

Thanks Cody. Looks like you totally got the idea as well! These comments make it all worth while out here in Gayville!

Thanks Again!
Old July 21st, 2005, 09:17 AM   #20
Trustee

Well, I dont get that genre in general, I didnt see the humor in it (besides the band name) If you were going for funny, I would have made it lighter, having body parts fall off or zombies come in, etc. I did the video "Save Me" for literally nothing, which you can watch here:

http://au.search.launch.yahoo.com/mf...deo&id=2152002

The other video I did for almost no money played in Europe but never did much. My friend is the guitar player and called me on a Saturday morning and said they were shooting a video and wanted me to do it, no prep, no nothing. One day of running around shooting, 2 days of editing and off to their label.

http://www.admiraltwin.com/attv2.html

I dont think either is great, but given the constraints, decent...

ash =o)
Ash Greyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2005, 09:43 AM   #21
Regular Crew

Hey there Ash!

Thanks for posting these links!

I think this one:

http://www.admiraltwin.com/attv2.html

was actually pretty good. Didn't like the song, clever post tricks though...

The Hanson video... ummm, whats creative about putting an after effects filter over some live footage? If that's whats considerd creative these days, we're all in trouble.

Zombies and body parts falling off....hummm a completely literal appraoch. And for 150 bucks, I suppose it would have been easy to call in a and pay an FX artist to do this?

For my tast, these videos are not GAY enough. There's something to be said for videos that are a little GAY, nes' pa?

Thanks again for your comments!
Old July 21st, 2005, 10:08 AM   #22
Trustee

I agree about "Save Me" in 2005 but that was done in 2000 before that effect was actually a built in effect. That video was done by exporting every single frame into photoshop as a filmstrip. Every single frame required several effects, negative, color contrast, graphic pencil, in specific order, then re-import into Premiere.

It was done on a 650mhz laptop. I was very open with my settings and several people created plug-ins based on those settings, there was a couple internet sites that did stories on it. In 2005, most people have a computer fast enough and the plug-ins are available to do the same effect in a few hours. The only part I still think looks cool is the colorized part....

ash =o)
Old July 21st, 2005, 10:09 AM   #23
Trustee

Also, if you see my original post, I never said they were "masterpieces" just that they were "interesting" =o)

ash =o)
Old July 21st, 2005, 10:13 AM   #24
Trustee

The "music" and the lyrics were not to my taste, any more than the rest of the images, but they were pretty well shot. I imagine that if I liked the band, I would have been pretty happy with the video.

I didn't notice the editing while watching it, so that is a good thing.
Old July 21st, 2005, 11:51 AM   #25
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Hensberry
For my tast, these videos are not GAY enough. There's something to be said for videos that are a little GAY, nes' pa?

I'm with George Su or whoever said people don't "get" campy humor very often. I also thought the above quoted comment was great on multiple levels. And I ain't gay!

The intro bit where it said UN PRODUCTION TOTALMENT GAI is even funnier in French so hopefully it won't lose anything being played on a continent where a lot more people do speak French.

Kudos from a hetero fan! Keep it up!
Bill Porter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2005, 12:36 PM   #26
Regular Crew

I loved the Laura Palmer picture getting held up by the one guy. Good old Lynch.
Cory Cone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2005, 03:08 PM   #27
Regular Crew

Hi Ash!

Okay, first you said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash Greyson
I have done 2 videos on budgets of even less than $150. Neither was great but they were interesting, one was actually #1 on MTV-Europe and MTV-Latin... go figure....ash =o)
Then you said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash Greyson
The other video I did for almost no money played in Europe but never did much.
So what exactly is the real story here? ;)

All you have to do when you watch a video by a band called Gay For Johnny Depp is sit back and go "Ha ha ha, that was stupid and funny." A running critque of it really isn't nessessary.

I'd like to quote anothe DVinfo member with a truly wise eye and obvioulsy impeccable taste:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meryem Ersoz
how can you take a parodic video by a group named "gay for johnny depp" too seriously?? i thought it was kinda funny and silly.....
This has been truly educational for me everyone. Thanks for all the support from the light harted folks out there who appreciate a good bloody laugh!
Old July 21st, 2005, 04:14 PM   #28
Trustee

The "Save Me" video was #1 on MTV Europe and MTV Latin. The Admiral Twin video didnt do much, I believe it showed in Germany for a while.

You asked for commernts, not for people to sit back and go "ha ha, gay for Johnny Depp..."

I love campy stuff but I just dont think this is that funny. Not over the top enough, maybe you should have had one of the band members take a bite out of another... Actually, the tone is quite ambiguos between the title and the Barney picture. If you were going for that slasher style, I would have bumped up the shutter or something to make it more interesting. Definitely woudl have gone with a warmer white balance.

ash =o)
Old July 21st, 2005, 04:19 PM   #29
Regular Crew

i'd be gay for hanson too.
George Su is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2005, 06:34 PM   #30
Regular Crew

I'm gay for Hanson too! And GAY for George Su! And GAY for Ash Greyson! I'm also GAY for long shutter speeds! And GAY for warmer white balence!

Let's keep it GAY!!
Jake Hensberry is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work