DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Show Your Work (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/show-your-work/)
-   -   Gay For Johnny Depp (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/show-your-work/47975-gay-johnny-depp.html)

Jake Hensberry July 19th, 2005 01:15 PM

Gay For Johnny Depp

Hi All

I shot this last weekend and cut it in 2 days.

Its an ultra low budget video for the band Gay for Johnny depp.

We made it for 150 bucks....

It certainly has its moments...

Comments?

http://www.gayforjohnnydepp.com/vid2.html

Chris Davis July 19th, 2005 01:41 PM

I'm at work. They're ain't no way I'm clicking a link like that. It'll probably set off alarms in some office somewhere! :)

Jake Hensberry July 19th, 2005 01:43 PM

I assure you chris, despite the name...its safe to watch.

Chris Davis July 19th, 2005 02:34 PM

I'm sure it's safe, I just think the name might stand out in our office internet access log. Just kidding anyway, I'll check it out later.

Matt Champagne July 19th, 2005 03:35 PM

Was fairly cool...an interesting lighting concept I suppose. I think the singer should have wore something other than jeans and that weird belt...that sorta seemed out of place given the tone of the rest of the video. Also, him drinking a beer may give you a ton of trouble placing that video on any american tv channels...I'm pretty sure it is illegal based off of some obscure law to show any consumption of alcohol on television...just look at the beer commercials...no one ever drinks they just hold beers and have wacky adventures.

Joshua Provost July 19th, 2005 04:55 PM

That may be the single best music video I have ever seen. Woah!

Jay Gladwell July 20th, 2005 05:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joshua Provost
That may be the single best music video I have ever seen. Woah!

I'm curious. Just how many music videos have you seen, Joshua?

Jay

Jake Hensberry July 20th, 2005 07:33 AM

Let me re-state guys, I made this for $150 dollars. MTV play is pretty much outta the question and we knew that before shooting. Its for the web only in the US but is going to air, belive it or not, in England.

Joshua, THANKS! I know you're kidding but thanks!

Jay, be nice. It was done for fun, for godsake....but thanks for the comment anyway.

Chris Davis July 20th, 2005 08:35 AM

I especially like the tearing of the Barney Fife photo a la Sinead O'Connor. Was that your idea? Good stuff for 150 bucks.

Joshua Provost July 20th, 2005 10:04 AM

I've seen a lot of music videos, I own a record label. I mean it, this one kept me on the edge, very surprising.

Ash Greyson July 20th, 2005 11:22 AM

I guess I am confused, not to bash it but it looks like something a random high school kid shot on the fly. When you dont have a budget, get creative, not just with ideas but with camera work and editing. I have done 2 videos on budgets of even less than $150. Neither was great but they were interesting, one was actually #1 on MTV-Europe and MTV-Latin... go figure....

ash =o)

George Su July 20th, 2005 11:46 AM

i think its supposed to look like it was shot on the fly. i dunno. what video did you have on mtv europe? i'd like to see wat else can be done for 150 bucks.

Jake Hensberry July 20th, 2005 12:19 PM

Hi Ash, not to bash you either, but if you want to go throwing around comments about some supposed master peice you did for less the 150 bucks, I'd LOVE to see it and we can compare accordingly. You can't really say "Hey, I've done better then that for $150 and not show us the money.

I'm not doubting you, but there has to be proof in the pudding. For example, for three hundred dollars, I did a video that was #1 on MTV Japan for 2 months, veiwable via my website which is linked to my porofile. It's for Cue The Pulse to Begin by Burnside Project.

And you're also right, it's SUPPOSED to look cheap and stupid. We lit it with ONE on board light. Its part of the humor of the whole thing, like a low budget slasher film....

Post a link to your $150 dollar videos. I'd be really intrested to see them....

Thanks for commenting!

Meryem Ersoz July 20th, 2005 12:31 PM

how can you take a parodic video by a group named "gay for johnny depp" too seriously?? i thought it was kinda funny and silly....

p.s. jake--don't take the comments too seriously, either, a lot of campy humor misses its mark....

Jake Hensberry July 20th, 2005 12:32 PM

Go for you, Meryem. I think you understand EXACTLY what we were going for.