The Horror- A short Vietnam War Film at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Old June 7th, 2010, 01:19 PM   #1
Regular Crew

The Horror- A short Vietnam War Film

Made this video for a friends history project. He payed me the princely some of $30 to shoot and edit it. We rounded up a few kids, some camo, and some guns, and shot this in about 2 hours. It's my first major work in After Effects so go easy on me :). But nonetheless, I'm very happy with the way it came out and it was a great learning experience. Any feedback is appreciated.

YouTube - "The Horror" A Vietnam Story
Dan Frantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2010, 02:33 PM   #2
Inner Circle

For me there are 2 aspects of this project.
From a video aspect I liked the way you shot it and did the edit. So well done for that.
From a historical aspect, as one who spent, a bunch of time in RVN there were a few things that could have used some work, BUT I know that most people who see the project won't notice those things so I'll leave those things alone.
Again I liked the way you shot it and the way you did the edit so I'll give the old 'atta boy' for it. :-)

Last edited by Don Bloom; June 7th, 2010 at 09:06 PM.
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2010, 08:41 PM   #3
Trustee

I'm not sure where to begin..

You did a lot stuff really well. It appears that your a group of young people having a great time making video's. And I enjoyed watching this.

But, this really had nothing to do with "The Horror of the Vietnam War." When something that resembles an M60 starts firing, there won't be anyone, especially someone in a clean white tank top and a chrome plated hand gun ducking behind a tree and shooting back. Honestly it looked more like a paintball battle.

Having said that, if you would have simply titled it something more appropriate and researched the dialog people wouldn't be so critical. You'd be surprised what people notice when you set their expectations, you wouldn't have to worry about the right weapons etc., or the silhouette of an F15 flying over when it should have been an F4 Phantom.

There was some really good camera work and a good effort on a lot of the effects. You also had a nice shiny tripod in one of the wide shots. But I think what you pulled together was quite impressive.
Chuck Spaulding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2010, 08:28 AM   #4
Major Player

Very good camera work and nice effects. I like it.
Bruce Phung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2010, 10:16 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Spaulding View Post
I'm not sure where to begin..

You did a lot stuff really well. It appears that your a group of young people having a great time making video's. And I enjoyed watching this.

But, this really had nothing to do with "The Horror of the Vietnam War." When something that resembles an M60 starts firing, there won't be anyone, especially someone in a clean white tank top and a chrome plated hand gun ducking behind a tree and shooting back. Honestly it looked more like a paintball battle.

Having said that, if you would have simply titled it something more appropriate and researched the dialog people wouldn't be so critical. You'd be surprised what people notice when you set their expectations, you wouldn't have to worry about the right weapons etc., or the silhouette of an F15 flying over when it should have been an F4 Phantom.

There was some really good camera work and a good effort on a lot of the effects. You also had a nice shiny tripod in one of the wide shots. But I think what you pulled together was quite impressive.
Ah well, as for the name, the assignment was to take a movie related to something that was taught this year and make a spoof or subplot off of it. For instance, someone did "300-ish" for the Greek unit. So, we chose Apocalypse Now hence the title "The Horror" from Marlon Brando's speech..

Glad you guys liked it and thanks for the feedback. I really have to remember to leave the tripod at home when I'm shooting action sequences I think used it all of once that day and I always seem to get one shot with it sitting in th the corner :/ ...
Dan Frantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2010, 06:10 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Tripod

Hi Dan, well done I liked it. Well edited, good effects and the guys were good at the acting part.

Don't worry about the tripod - I do that - just remember to put him/her in the credits ;-)

With regards

Jeff
Jeff Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2010, 08:07 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Haha, I think I might just have to next time that happens. Glad you enjoyed it!
Dan Frantz is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work