Surfing in Thurso, Scotland - Critique Please at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Old June 7th, 2010, 05:07 PM   #1
Tourist

Surfing in Thurso, Scotland - Critique Please

This is a video I put together. It was shot on My 7D and a Friend's 5DmkII during the O'neill Coldwater Classic in Thurso Scotland.

The Water shots were taken on the 5DmkII with a 15mm fisheye in a SPL waterhousing.
The shots of the surf competition were taken on the 7D with the 100-400mm lens.
Other lenses used were the 17-40mm and the tokina 11-16mm.
Some of the shots were taken on a glidetrack.

I am very new to video so it would be great if people could give me some constructive comments either positive, or negative. I just want some more insight than "cool video!" etc.
Ben Tutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2010, 04:24 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Great video

Hi Ben it's a great video. Well filmed, all in focus (which isn't easy). Good action shots, and music. Wll edited and sequenced.

Three points I would make (from someone new to this as well):

- The colour grading on the surfing scenes doesn't match the higher contrast of the cut in scenery - ie: deers,etc. It's a style and taste thing I guess - I over pimp all my footage to get more vibrant colour.
- It might be Vimeo letting you down, however I got pixelisation on a surfing transition about 75% into the video.
- Would love to see more of Scotland (but then I am biased); ie: a wide shot of the bay the surfers are surfing to orient the viewer to the location would be good.
- I loved the hedland shots - but you need an ND Filter like me to pimp that sky a little more. Something I have started to do (until my Fader ND arrives) is to drag a simulated ND Filter into the video (ie: a transparent gradient from the top of the frame faded to nuetral just above the horzon). It pops the sky and clouds a little more and you can use whatever colour fits the footage - warm at sunset - cool blue for middle of the day, etc.

Overall, a great video and to my untrained eyes of TV quality. Well done.

With regards

Jeff
Jeff Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2010, 03:46 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Loved the way you interwove the video sequences. Absolutely hated the soundtrack - but that's a personal taste thing I guess (I turned the sound off in fact)
Terence Morris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2010, 03:21 PM   #4
Tourist

Thanks

Cheers for the feedback chaps.

Sorry It's taken a while to get back to you. To be honest I was on Holiday when I posted on this forum, and forgot about it!

I really appreciate your comments.

Terrence, I've never watched this with the music turned off. I just tried it now, and I think it shows up the faults more. I definitely used the music to tie it all together. Without thr music I would prefer to see more scenery, and have fewer really short cuts. I think that in the future I will watch what i'm prodcing without the music too to see if it is a coherent edit.

Jeff, I agree with the grading. I didn't really know what I was doing in terms of grading. I think that is another thing to take away from this. I'll plan a look and try to stick to it. I am definitely a high saturation and contrast chap too. A Fader ND is on my (ever growing) wish list!
I would also like to have included more of Scotland (I'm half scottish and I absolutely love it up there), but I didn't actually shoot any. Something to think about next time.

Anyway, thanks again for taking the time to watch and give feedback on my video.

Ben
Ben Tutton is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work