DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Show Your Work (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/show-your-work/)
-   -   Our 1st Commercial Product... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/show-your-work/481196-our-1st-commercial-product.html)

Caleb Reynolds June 30th, 2010 07:52 PM

Our 1st Commercial Product...

Hello all, I am the founder of Team K Productions. A local Etsy group approached us and asked us to do a promotional video for thier upcoming teametsyaustin on Etsy, a global handmade and vintage marketplace. website. ( Right now they have Etsy Austin | Austinites on Etsy )
You can go to the blog (2nd link) or go to youtube: YouTube - EtsyAustin's Channel

Some notes: We've made short films and music videos and are decent at that. This was our first commercial product so the client was not charged.
Shot on Panasonic P2 on Minidv, edited on FCEHD
I know my color correction skills, and titling are subpar. But I'm working on that. For our previous projects we "paid" people to do those things for us, but since this one was free...we tried it on our own.
Of course, youtube doesn't do the video justice.

Anyone know of a better free hosting site?

We uploaded the video with a smooth, focused, presentation shot. But when you go the youtube channel it blurs it like its stuck between frames. Anyone know why?

Paul Digges July 1st, 2010 04:32 PM

You could always try Vimeo. I don't think I'll ever use YouTube again.

Les Wilson July 3rd, 2010 06:10 AM

Things that would help the production values of this piece:
The white balance is wrong on the shot of the bridge. This is a shooting error not color correction.
The audio of the two women inside is boomy and strikingly different in texture
Lighting of outside subjects needs a boost. Subjects are very 2 dimensional. Some subjects are dark. A reflector or daylight light should have been used.

Informational content was pretty good.

Caleb Reynolds July 3rd, 2010 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Les Wilson (Post 1544844)
Things that would help the production values of this piece:
The white balance is wrong on the shot of the bridge. This is a shooting error not color correction.
The audio of the two women inside is boomy and strikingly different in texture
Lighting of outside subjects needs a boost. Subjects are very 2 dimensional. Some subjects are dark. A reflector or daylight light should have been used.

Informational content was pretty good.

Thank you for the comments! All very good information.

We are trying to learn our way around this P2 to get the best product out of it as possible. This forum has been a great help.

We guerilla lighted the two presidents, and used 2 studio mics that weren't really for shooting (not a shotgun) I know that shows. That was us trying to stay cheap. (we owned those items) We won't cheap out again on audio equipment.

The outside subjects are all lit naturally. Shot over the course of 3 days, some days were better than others. Some days were bright as all hell, and others were overcast. We cheaped out on outside lighting solutions because of the cost of the project, and the limited space we were given.

For lighting of the Presidents, we used 3 daylight balanced 60 watt cfl's.

Les Wilson July 3rd, 2010 01:50 PM

50 lashes with a wet noodle. Mistakes are a part of learning. I think it's a good anti-example of the idea that you can get a better product simply by getting a better camera. The problem is that this piece is going out there as an example of your work. What does re-shooting cost you other than time? Not reshooting costs you your reputation. I wouldn't hire you if I saw that as an example of your work. Just saying.

Caleb Reynolds July 3rd, 2010 09:52 PM

We've decided to hire a Gaffer for the next shoot; commercial or not. Maybe also a DP. A little more cost for a much better outcome.

Steve Howe July 7th, 2010 02:50 AM

For me, the 480p setting is more pixellated than the 360 setting. Never seen that before.

For what it's worth, on my short vimeo and YT look identical.