DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Show Your Work (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/show-your-work/)
-   -   Believe: My very first opera prima music video short movie ever! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/show-your-work/482096-believe-my-very-first-opera-prima-music-video-short-movie-ever.html)

Ben Tolosa July 18th, 2010 11:10 PM

Believe: My very first opera prima music video short movie ever!

Hi there,

This is the very first thing I have ever done as a filmmaker. If I can say that I am a filmmaker, I do not know. I do not know what should you do to be consider one. But I just love this art, and this is the very first thing I have ever done.

The Trans-Siberian Orchestra made a contest for people to make their version of one of their new songs called 'Believe' (very cool and powerful song by the way), and here it is my entry to the contest:

YouTube - Believe - Trans-Siberian Orchestra

I would love to get any comments, advices, critiques, from any of you if you could take a few minutes to watch the video, and write me some lines of advice. It is very much appreciate it, since I am learning.

Thanks so much you all!

Ben

Thane Silliker July 19th, 2010 08:04 AM

I am by no means as accomplished as some here. But I would personally not use auto iris or auto focus on a project like this.

When he turns on the bed-side light, you can see the iris self adjust. Another technique might be to actually make the turning on of the light a cut, with each shot adjusted for exposure separately. The scene with the clock radio display can be shot separately that the very next instant with him appearing to be turning on the light. The camera on a tripod makes it appear that this was in fact someone turning on the light.

As he walks out of the bathroom, the camera attempts to re-focus on the wall after he is gone. Better to lock focus on your intended subject and let other elements stay out of focus during the entire sequence.

Nice work, and as a motorcyclist myself, I like the content. What kind of camera are you using?

Ben Tolosa July 19th, 2010 07:57 PM

Thank you Thane!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thane Silliker (Post 1550102)
I am by no means as accomplished as some here. But I would personally not use auto iris or auto focus on a project like this.

When he turns on the bed-side light, you can see the iris self adjust. Another technique might be to actually make the turning on of the light a cut, with each shot adjusted for exposure separately. The scene with the clock radio display can be shot separately that the very next instant with him appearing to be turning on the light. The camera on a tripod makes it appear that this was in fact someone turning on the light.

As he walks out of the bathroom, the camera attempts to re-focus on the wall after he is gone. Better to lock focus on your intended subject and let other elements stay out of focus during the entire sequence.

Nice work, and as a motorcyclist myself, I like the content. What kind of camera are you using?

Hi Thane,

I just wanted to thank you for taking the time of watching my video. I really do appreciate the advice. I actually didn't even think (forgot) about turning off the auto focus, but you are totally right. Good advice I will utilize on my next project. I also made the mistake of using auto iris. I just have not to much idea on how to operate it properly, but again I will not use it on my next project as well.

Great advice, I really do appreciate it really!!

That is a 2002 Sporster and I used a Panasonic HMC150 on all shots.

You have a wonderful week and a better weekend!!

Best Regards :)

Ben Tolosa