"Pretty Reckless" music video, shot on 1DMKIV and 5D - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Old December 3rd, 2010, 11:29 PM   #16
Wrangler

checked the raw footage--nope, the sped-up effect combined with the cut just as she was turning around to make sure she wasn't going to walk into the table made it look like a stumble, but wasn't.
Old December 5th, 2010, 01:45 AM   #17
Wrangler

Behind-the-scenes of Just Tonight:

YouTube - The Pretty Reckless - Just Tonight (The Making Of)

Some nice shots of the DSLR's on both Steadicam and Technocrane.
Old December 9th, 2010, 06:32 PM   #18
Major Player

Thanks for sharing all this with us, Charles. Looks great. Why did you choose to shoot this on SLRs as opposed to something like RED One? I imagine it wasnt so much budgetary, the larger sensor and faster setups perhaps? I'd also be interested to know what picture styles and image options you used on this if you can say.
Noah Yuan-Vogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2010, 02:44 AM   #19
Wrangler

The first video I did with Meiert (director) was on the RED. Down the road, we reconnected when I sent some stills to him from the early stuff I was doing with Vincent Laforet on the 1D. Shortly thereafter we shot the "Make Me Wanna Die" video at the high ISO's that could only be achieved with that camera (pre Alexa and RED MX). Incidentally a work-in-progress version of that video has been leaked to the internet--sadly it's crushed down even harder than the final version so the beauty of the 1DMKIV on the city streets is gone (wish I could post camera raw footage) but let's just say there's a whole lot more of Taylor in view here. ahem.

http://the-pretty-reckless.net/index...t_from=&ucat=&

Anyway--so yeah, we chose that camera since it was so light sensitive, and stuck with it through five more videos. Meiert likes the simplicity of it, and it is a lot cheaper. While it may seem like these videos might have real budgets, the sad fact is that many videos are being made for a fraction of what they used to and we have to cut corners wherever we can. This camera is a good fit for that.

I pretty much stick to the same picture style: Neutral, 0, -3, -1, 0. Gives us plenty of room to play in post. I do most of the looks via lighting. Mostly I shoot clean (no filters except ND's--occasional diffusion).
Old December 12th, 2010, 10:12 AM   #20
Regular Crew

How many takes do you generally do for a video like this?
Old December 12th, 2010, 01:28 PM   #21
Wrangler

For the primary performance setup we might do twelve to fifteen two-camera runthroughs of the song. Depends on how much other stuff we have to shoot. For "Miss Nothing", almost all of it was performance with few specialty shots so that was our whole day. Shoot days are always long, 16-18 hour days.There's no pre-rig day so a lot of time is chewed up with art department dressing the set and me lighting it.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work