DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Show Your Work (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/show-your-work/)
-   -   Wedding Video Samples (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/show-your-work/483280-wedding-video-samples.html)

Max Dirov August 12th, 2010 10:55 AM

Wedding Video Samples

Hi Guys,

Im starting out to be a videographer, but would like to hear your comments on my work..

YouTube - sharpcodered's Channel

Dont be afraid to tell me off, I used a Canon XL2, and recently upgraded to Canon XH-A1, so i just filmed my cousins wedding with my A1, and ill upload in a few days, onces i get it done in post..

Thomas Moore August 12th, 2010 04:55 PM

OK, I bounced throught them and in my opinion:

Overall you got a lot of the right shots

Your highlights are blown out in a lot of shots

You have a nasty blue color cast in a lot of shots

Your white balance is off in several scenes...

There isn't much detail in the footage

Most of the footage is washed out

Try lowering your blacks

try to stay away from handheld way too much shakyness and in several shots in Oleg and Radika you cut off their heads?

Some of your transitions are way to long....

Try to match your cuts more to the music....

A lot of the black and white just didn't work for me....

That said I think a lot of the above could be corrected in post

Keep in mind this sounds like people that aren't paying you so of course they are going to be appreciative, those that are paying won't accept some of that so easily....

Max Dirov August 17th, 2010 01:23 PM

Thanks, I do agree with you on some of the aspects of the clip, thanks for your input.

Max Dirov August 19th, 2010 12:39 AM

Thanks, Thomas, I took your direct criticism, and learned alot from it, and do appreciate you for taking the time and writing down what i was doing wrong, and ask you to see what you think of my cousins wedding. I performed alot of work in post. See what you guys think, Guys, just like Thomas, direct criticize me, if something isnt right, just tell me.. dont be worried.. I learn from it..

YouTube - Tim and Lana Wedding Montage "MAX | CINEMA Productions"

Alan Melville August 21st, 2010 07:13 AM

Max,

With the tech stuff I agree with Thomas.....

On the positive side from me, The tech stuff can be learn't, may take a little time but if you're really keen it'll eventually click.

What one can't necessarily learn is how to capture the moment and I think you do that well.
Your opening scene is good. Prep work by the Bride and Groom is always important and will bring back the moment for them. Yea, you might chop a bit of their heads off here and there but you'll get better at not decapitating them......Including the Groomsmen and Bridesmaids is great, the garage door, lights on was good, low shot perspective on the cars was good, I liked the closing scene of the couple walking away down the street. It carries a strong message.

If you're in the position that doesn't enable you to buy glidecams, auto panners etc, don't stress. Get out and practice, do circle shots of rocks, trees, statues etc. Put them in the center of the viewfinder and learn to keep them there whilst moving, zooming, pulling out etc. Stationary objects are good to learn on because they don't move, therefore any movement is very obviously is you! Move onto birds on branches then in flight, that'll teach you how to center a shot and keep it......... The first attempts are very likely to be crap, don't despair, keep at it, it'll happen. BTW, keep all your first attempt material as a master, in future months, my guess is, it'll give you massive satisfaction to see how you've improved!!!!

In my opinion you caught the most important aspect of the day very well....happiness of the couple.....

Keep at it. :)

Al