MacPro Unboxing Animation at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Old September 1st, 2010, 06:12 PM   #1
Regular Crew

MacPro Unboxing Animation

This is a short unboxing video I shot as to test my editing work flow on the new MacPro machine. A majority of the shots are stop-motion:
YouTube - 2010 MacPro Unboxing

Hope you enjoy :)
Old September 1st, 2010, 06:57 PM   #2
Major Player

Cool video, just ordered a MacPro myself. What is the story behind the severed head, meat hook and noose? Halloween Video?
Glenn Davidson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2010, 03:31 AM   #3
Trustee

Hi Paul,

I really enjoyed that. Care to share some tips on how you went about shooting this?

Thanks
Simon Denny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2010, 08:53 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks Glenn - the severed head and noose, haha - yeah, they are a few props for a horror film I'll be shooting next year - should be fun!

Thanks Simon - I shot it fairly quick (two evenings last week) as so I could get the new machine up and running asap. It was filmed mostly with stop-motion; animating both the Mac and the camera which was attached to a slider. The shot with the Mac in the air was actually standing on a stack of books (adding another book for each frame as it raised up and then I rotoscoped the books out in post as I floated down - glad you enjoyed it, thanks :)
Old September 3rd, 2010, 05:59 AM   #5
Major Player

Paul,

Having no idea on how to do the effects, I loved it....well done.

Al
Alan Melville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2010, 03:53 PM   #6
Major Player

This the best unboxing I have seen. If you can do a tutoial how to animate, duplicate this video would be awsome. I love animation but have not idea how it done. I know it required a lot of keyframings.
Bruce Phung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2010, 03:41 PM   #7
Trustee

Its great to see someone doing good old fashioned stop action.

Well done.
Chuck Spaulding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2010, 06:19 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Phung View Post
This the best unboxing I have seen. If you can do a tutoial how to animate, duplicate this video would be awsome. I love animation but have not idea how it done. I know it required a lot of keyframings.
Thanks Bruce, glad you enjoyed it :)

Would love to do a tutorial indeed but unfortunately time permits me from doing so. However, stop-motion in general is fairly straight forward in technique. First frame you shot how you want it to look. Then capture an image of it, move the subject a tiny bit, capture another image, and keep repeating. I also like to animate the camera as well which gives more dynamics to the shots. Things to know ahead of time are:
- Make sure you have a steady power supply for the light so you don't get light flicker when playing back the shots (flicker is a huge pain to remove in post).
- Always lock your focus and exposure before shooting.
- If you are animating more than one object, keep track that you move all objects for each frame (it's easy to loose track).

Hope this helps :)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work