DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Show Your Work (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/show-your-work/)
-   -   My second short film attempt... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/show-your-work/485209-my-second-short-film-attempt.html)

Matt Portwood September 23rd, 2010 06:31 PM

My second short film attempt...

Hello Everyone,

I am very new to video as I only jumped in about 3 months ago and have been teaching myself the ropes. I have a background in audio and decided to move into videography and see where that goes. That being said this is video is only my second time shooting and editing a video...ever. So, I am really looking forward to whatever comments, praise, criticism you might have.

This is a video of my fiance painting a parasol for our wedding. She asked that I show as little of her as possible as she is a little shy so the shots are a little confined. OK...nuff said...let the comments flow.

Also if you look at the other vide on my vimeo page it is actually my first ever attempt at filming something and editing. So comments are welcome on that as well.

Thanks!

Andy Graham September 24th, 2010 03:57 AM

I like it, you have some nice composition there. Its not always quite so easy to get nice images in the real world though, if you're moving on to shoot films you'll be dealing with directors and time consuming actors.....just tell them if they want it to look good they should listn to what you say and never be afraid to pipe up and tell them you need another take no matter how many people are on set or how important they are, dont ever be intimidated, and id say you have a good enough eye to know when you've got what you need.

Btw congrats on getting married

Andy.

Matt Portwood September 24th, 2010 03:01 PM

Thanks Andy! Anyone else out there?

Thanks for the reply Andy! I have always secretly wanted to work in film and hopefully that will one day be a true reality. In the meantime I am having fun learning and I am very interested also in wedding videography, marketing and promotional video, etc.

Im a little surprised that no one but you has chimed in so far. Any one else out there with any advice or critiques? Anything will help!

Andy Graham September 24th, 2010 07:18 PM

Dont be surprised , there are a lot of talented busy people on this forum, you have to understand than making a short with you're fiance is one thing but making that leap to film is another.

there are guys on here from the highest hollywood experience like charles pappert, This forum is a link to guys who do it for a living, i reckon if these guys charged for their experience and time it would be a lot.

Andy

Matt Portwood September 24th, 2010 08:56 PM

Thanks again Andy. That all makes perfect sense. No worries. I have no illusions of doing anything overnight. I will take what I can get and be grateful for it.

Lorinda Norton September 24th, 2010 10:58 PM

Very nice, Matt! As Andy said, you have a good eye for composition. Loved the shot starting at 1:24. The first long fade to black surprised me and pretty much took me out of the trance I was in, but it wasn't long before I was back to being mesmerized by your fiance's work. Wish I could paint like that... :)

How about joining us upstairs for the DV Challenge? It would be a great way for you to practice!

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dv-chall...ml#post1572642

Matt Portwood September 25th, 2010 08:31 AM

Thank you Lorinda! I just signed up for the challenge and will eagerly await its kickoff. Hopefully it will really pull me out of my comfort zone.

Andy Graham October 1st, 2010 05:22 AM

Matt i dont suppose you could do me a favour, Im having a hell of a time uploading my promo video to vimeo, It wont maintain the 2:35:1 aspect ratio and the quality is really poor, could you tell me the settings you used to export your video and if there are any tricks to uploading to vimeo, I mean yours plays perfectly and its high quality i dont understand why mine isn't working.

Andy.

Matt Portwood October 1st, 2010 06:25 PM

Well I don't know what software you use, but I can tell you what I use and how I do it. I edit in Final Cut and so my sequence settings were 1920 x 1080. Once I had my mattes in place and all my clips adjusted the way I needed them I exported that file using current settings as my preset. The resulting file is a 1920 x 1080 video that is letterboxed. I then opened up Compressor and dropped in that file.

Now the key to getting Vimeo to encode the file correctly is on the "Geometry" tab. In the top part of the tab I set the "Crop to" box to Panavision 2.35:1. This will effectively crop out your mattes. For "Frame Size" I select 100% of original. Finally the last and most important part to Vimeo is to select "Preserve Source Aspect Ration" at the bottom.

Doing those three things should result in a properly cropped 2.35:1 file that Vimeo should encode correctly. Try that and let me know how that works for you. If you don't use compressor the same thing can be achieved with Quicktime Pro.

Hayden Hoyl July 16th, 2011 03:07 PM

Re: My second short film attempt...

Sorry to resurrect such an old thread, but I really loved these shots! How did you get the floating type shots that looked similar to dolly shots? I'm still learning and I'd love to know! Thanks

Matt Portwood July 17th, 2011 09:41 AM

Its no problem at all! I shot this entire video on a Glidetrack SD which was on a tripod the entire time. So the dolly shots are just slider shots. Depending on how you position the frame and the head on top of the slider you can get all sorts of "unique" shots that work very nicely.

Hayden Hoyl July 17th, 2011 03:26 PM

Very cool! I need to look into buying or building one.

Jeff Murray July 20th, 2011 03:42 PM

Great job, nice edit. Love the macro work. Sensitive treatment to the music as well.